What's your most expensive prop purchase regret?

Only ever regretted one purchase.

I've been buying Koto kits to display next to props. I've got the ESB Vader, Luke, and Fett. I really wanted the McQuarrie Koto concept art Vader and Starkiller statue and had been looking on toy sites and amazon.

Someone on the RPF was selling one and his was less, plus I get to support an RPFer. I specifically ask him to check all the parts, and to repack the parts in a smaller box to save on shipping. He says he wants to ship it in the original box to protect it.

Long story short he had the box in storage for a while, it had been displayed but he taken it apart and stored it in the original box. He never opened and checked the contents.

The plastic clamshell wasn't taped on the edges so all the pieces were in a pile when I opened it.
A few of the joint tabs were broken, either from delivery or from when he took it apart.
Also, the figures were dirty and dusty.

The kicker was, the lightsabers were missing. The blades were in there, but not the handles.

I contacted him, told him the issues. He looked for the sabers but never found them. We worked out a $30 refund so I think I paid $70 in the end.

I've never displayed them. I keep thinking I'll scratch some saber handles but I haven't yet.

I purchased a proton pack shell from videoBob on eBay, and then discovered the Feedback thread on GBfans.com. Shell was warped all to hell, full of bubbles and holes, way too thin in some areas and just flaked apart when I tried to repair it. It was a hard $300 lesson to learn.
Man, almost same story here ( see above ). I feel your pain ! :confused

Buying an Unobtainable 3ft TOS Enterprise model. Seller said it had problems with cracked resin and oily colorations. What he said was true and the UPS man added some more breaks to the model. Sat in my garage for a year before selling to a member who wanted to disassemble and try to cast parts off it.

Wow I won it on ebay on the 1st. I'm freaking out now.

Icons was a legendary prop replica company that went bust owing lots of people product in 2002.

They did produce a lot of stuff which can regularly be found on Ebay. I was pulling your leg, you should be okay.

I bought a Dredd helmet from Termite Replicas a few years back. It took ages for them to build and when it eventually came the finish and build quality were nothing short of shocking. Thankfully, they gave me a full refund for it which was sort of OK but I'd waited possibly a year for it and there was only a limited run so there was no replacement available.

Before Larbel went out of business/started working for MR, I purchased 2 Luke sabers from him; The ANH and the ESB, respectively; Total crap, IMHO. silver plated brass graflex tubes, resin emitters, poor and incoorrect drilling of holes for belt hooks, screws (ESB) and bad threading for the poorly cast buttons and eye. The emitter/bulb ears wobbled all over the place. I paid $350.00 + shipping from Hong Kong for both of 'em, and my Stainless steel/hardware saber is better in comparison.

@ Jannix Quinn:
No one could have predicted that the Dexter prop department would contact us to fabricate for them boxes made to specs they provided to us.
That being said, the offer is still on the table to trade out your early-run version for the authentic copy plus a small upgrade fee...or sell it.

Before Larbel went out of business/started working for MR, I purchased 2 Luke sabers from him; The ANH and the ESB, respectively; Total crap, IMHO. silver plated brass graflex tubes, resin emitters, poor and incoorrect drilling of holes for belt hooks, screws (ESB) and bad threading for the poorly cast buttons and eye. The emitter/bulb ears wobbled all over the place. I paid $350.00 + shipping from Hong Kong for both of 'em, and my Stainless steel/hardware saber is better in comparison.

Yeah, at the time they were the only way to get a reproduction Graflex. Parks didn't have his ready for another 1-2 years.

I got two Larbel MPPs and they are identical to a real one except for the guts (non-working) and they are hefty and solid. Real works of art.

I got one Larbel Graflex and it always feels like it's make out of cardboard. Very light, very 'cheap' feeling, and the bunny ears just flop around.

Both were Back to the Future. An oversized hoverboard kit that weighed a ton, made about $20 back after shipping. And MarkPoon's Nike Mags. Lost about $50 on those. Not as big as some people's, but both happened at the same time and it made me rethink BttF collecting for a long time.

May I ask why you weren't pleased with the Mags?

I don't think they're badly made, just that they need a lot of modification to look like what you saw on screen. Doesn't help that they're too small for most North American adults to wear.

I regret buying cheap toy replicas of cool props, when I could have saved that money and bought screen used actual props when stuff was still affordable. Lesson learned: buy what you love, and buy the real thing.

There's not too much that I feel I've spent too much on simply for the fact that resale value isn't really a concern to me. I have no intention to, and for the best part am far too lazy to even consider selling any of my gear. And even if I do, I wouldn't have any idea I what I paid for any given item anyway.

However, the biggest disappointment if a purchase I made was a rookie error buying a recast bust. Loved the idea I would be able to work on it, found out it wa a recast thanks to the members here, and now I hate it.

@ Jannix Quinn:
No one could have predicted that the Dexter prop department would contact us to fabricate for them boxes made to specs they provided to us.
That being said, the offer is still on the table to trade out your early-run version for the authentic copy plus a small upgrade fee...or sell it.

I don't blame you, it was just unlucky for me. Like when you buy a TV or something and see it on sale the next week.

No remorse, no regrets.

But i´m noone who "needs it all" - i´m quite picky with what items i want, and what standards they have to have.

Biggest prop regret was the falcon...
This is one of those stories I'm ashamed of posting, but I think it teaches a valuable lesson.
2011 was my first Dragoncon, the mekka of all things geek imho. I had been walking around the dealers room when I saw it...

I want it to be known that I am a huge fan of the Maltese Falcon, it is actually rated at my #1 movie of all time.
So when I laid eyes on the bird, I bought it instantly.

Sadly like the bird of the movie, it was a fake.

A recast of the old subpar haunted studios sculpt, and a ****ty recast at that.
I didn't have the heart to do anything with the bird, but look at it in near hatred and disgust for nearly a year.
It was around that time I saw Adam's video on the bird and all the work he was doing on it, that it inspired me to start work on mine.
I started sanding away all the **** bumps from the crappy cast, filling in spots. And dremeling down the raised feathers in the front.
I repainted it with gunmetal and weathered the crap out of it to a nearly blackend finish.
I don't hate the bird anymore. I've considered it a learning lesson, which is this: When you find your self with a pile of ****, get out your polishing cloth.
It may not be gold when your done, but it least it wont look like **** either.

I am at an impass: I just purchased one of the rubber Captain America Avengers masks making their way around ebay (got it for $70, which was still high in my opinion, but was the lowest I could find). I think it will be a great addition to this year's Halloween costume, but after that, I think I will definitely be saying, "What was I thinking dropping that kind of cash on this?"

I would have much rather purchased one of the fantastic replicas made by members here, but the price for those is about triple what I paid for the one on ebay, and again while it would have looked fantastic for Halloween, after that it would have sat in my closet, collecting dust and holding up an invisible sign saying, "Yep, you paid THAT much." So in that case, my buyer's remorse would have been even worse.

Oh, to have disposable income where I can buy all the cool replica stuff that I want without any regret!

currently trying to buy a lawgiver mark 2 from Sword of Kings, but now a few months on, they're still fobbing me off with "stuffs on back order.. and ignoring my emails for the last month...

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back