[First] Shambler sculpt

Techuser

Last week I got around buying 500g of polymer clay (Bozzi) and tried a shambler from Quake as a first sculpt, as the only I've seen before is nothing close to what I think it should be, neither the fan art are.
It was harder than I thought but I think it went ok in the end.

This is a shambler:
01b-shambler.jpg

it's blocky and not too muscular per se, but I made it so for realism, it end having a bit of Doom 3 look instead of Quake because of that I think, but I hope it will get Quakeish after the paint.

I baked it yesterday, here's the process:

57vJE.jpg

PQTkj.jpg

Note the armature was too weak for something this fat, the entire proccess it was jiggling around and required me to hold each part to have a grip for sculpting.

cMza9.jpg

fjesn.jpg

37Ygx.jpg

QhMcD.jpg

NZjWA.jpg

a28mZ.jpg

I wish I had found this forum yesterday to see any advice on the model but now it's already baked. I accept airbrushing suggestions and tutorial links :love
It will be my first time airbrushing too (already tested on paper).

Looking good!!!!!

Love the teeth!

Any chance you are gonna give the fiend a shot? That little ******* nearly made my crap my pants when he first showed up...

Chris

Looking good!!!!!

Love the teeth!

Any chance you are gonna give the fiend a shot? That little ******* nearly made my crap my pants when he first showed up...

Chris

If I pull this one ok I already thought in the fiend next, I want it on a pile of skulls, just need to think a good pose and maybe cast a mold of the first skull for the pile, but more clay + silicone will be expensive, will probably give it some time before starting.

The painting took me the whole night to get the colors right, maybe tomorrow I'll see anything that needs to be changed but for now it's done, will make the base tomorrow, with a severed quake guy head.

Also I didn't paint the teeth yet, undecided if I should keep the original colors or make it realistic covered in blood too.

09DrJ.jpg

G4svS.jpg

BjSU6.jpg

HlW4I.jpg

Looks awesome!

Quake guy head needs to be a little smaller, but I can just imagine it as a teenage shambler :)

Man that design has always reminded me of some kinda frankenhamster on pcp. I love id software's monster design.

Chris

Holy crap, impressive sculpt, and an impressive paint job! I'm a huge Quake fan, and that's definitely something I would pay to have. It would be neat if you could make some kind of a variant that incorporated the shambler's lightning beam or something. Great work!

Thanks
Hydin I noticed the size, its because I measured him not counting the helmet, I baked the head first then added the helmet later. Here's a view of the head btw

Ul4g8.jpg

Aeon before starting I thought in doing the pose with lifted arms, the beam could be made with clear resin and a blue LED inside each hand, but thought it would be too complicated for a first sculpt. Also the only place I found selling clear resin was a big bucket and very expensive.

Hi guys!!

Wow what a piece(s) of art... really! I made some references on others forums to this very original work!

I kind of made something original myself recently... a Quake video collection... you won't find any Shambler (if I remember) but lot of people... like 1,000 hehe... enjoy!

QrackerJackQuake - YouTube

MOD
Rocket Arena (RA)

MAP
Hill20 by unknown (map designer)
hill20 (http://bigfoot.quake1.net/maps/hill20...)

PLAYER / POV
Zop

SERVER
quake.shmack.net:26001

MUSIC
Def Leppard - Comin' under fire

Regards,

Q -Mark [0!0]
qrackerjackquake@gmail.com

Qracker Jack Quake
QrackerJackQuake - YouTube

Gather Quake Archives
Quake Wiki

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back