Doctor Who - The 5th Doctor Coat Thread (Pic Heavy)

Like I said before, this coat is really hard to nail, and almost always ends up being a curates egg. The Baron coat is no exception, very close, but...

First up, I think it looks great from the back (come to think of it, mine does too, with the fiddleback/princess seams) but the collar looks too high and too rounded. Little details like that I can often let slide, but with this coat, it just doesn't look like the same garment somehow.

I also agree that the fit when seen at the front looks too big.

I've found that the best thing to do with any item from Baron is to take it to a tailor and spend $20 having it nipped in a bit closer to your body - even with the "slim" setting they tend to err on the baggier side.

I've found that the best thing to do with any item from Baron is to take it to a tailor and spend $20 having it nipped in a bit closer to your body - even with the "slim" setting they tend to err on the baggier side.

Funny, I was talking about this on a youtube video yesterday -I've found the best way to get a good fit with online tailoring is to send measurements from one of your own garments along with your actual body measurements.

Some vendors bristle at this a little, but it's not their dime when you have to get the thing retailored because it fits large. You soon get a sense of which vendors think "slim" means "well, of course it has to be slightly baggy..."

The lapels on the coat are higher up than I'd previously thought, with the middle of the "W" shape being roughly on a plane with the tip of the shirt collar.

04-05.jpg

costumes_08.jpg

Baron seems to get this right. In this picture though, you can see the orange quality to the piping:

5th_doctor1.jpg

The red on the baron coat is definitely too vibrant.

Just noticed something on the baron coat, is it just me, or are the tips bigger on the left lapel than on the right lapel.

I also noticed something on the S21 coat, to my eyes, it looks like the lower tip of the lapel is shorter than the upper tip. Whereas on the S19 coat it seems opposite (although much less so) Don't know if anybody else has noticed this.
08.jpg

Baron has technically offered this coat for years but I'm glad they''re 'officially' doing so now on their site than playing the email only game. I think it's a fine looking coat for the money. I'm not wild about the piping either but like all of these things I never trust their fabric sources unless we're talking common black gaberdine or something. Just find a trim you like and send it on to them. Though the beige they used is one of the better ones I've seen for the body.

You can nitpik lapels all day- most of the tailors who offer this really gets this right. Maybe a touch wider/a touch longer but I've seen far worse. The gorge placement is about right for the S19 but yes it's high for the S21. Button choice is god for S21, not so good for S19. The piping is a bit red I'm more concerned about lack of texture. Color is a little subjective depending on lighting, camera and so on that selection of images alone shows you the range you can get on the same garment- I've always thought of it as a bright red and less of an orange though go with what you like here.

My biggest gripe really are the long seams in the skirt bellow the buttons. Those shouldn't be there- it was a mistake on the one Magnoli made for me (though there were about 3 times as man of these skirt seams) but last I looked he seems to have corrected this.

Bob,
thanks for chiming in on this one. Would you be willing to share pics of your magnoli coat? How do you rate this option? I know you've seen the Steve Ricks version too so I'd love to get your thoughts.

David

My Magnoli coat pics are not very good- it was before I had a body form and in fairness to him it is NOT representative of the coat you'd order now as it had a lot of mistakes thier first crack out of the gate. Another GB member put them through the wriger with 3-4 revisions on his brown version that helped bring it closer to home.

I not only have seen the Ricks coat, I own one. It's fab and lovely. You can't really do better than his coats IMHO but he also the priciest option out there.

as stated im no expert either but it looks good to me, my fav Dr as well and I didnt discover Dr who until a few years ago

Sorry to get back so late, but I've been quite busy with work, and life in general, but I ended up pretty much going homemade all the way on my Fifth Doctor project, including the coat. I went the labcoat option, and it suited my needs just fine, although I would love to upgrade at some point in the future.

581279_10150830488650892_763725364_n.jpg

521544_10150828200425892_794200011_n.jpg

385730_10150857791130892_1173595783_n.jpg

385764_10150830604810892_1724433879_n.jpg

564303_10150857926350892_775140729_n.jpg

551792_10150871313500892_774475282_n.jpg

I did make quite a few mistakes along the way, taught my self some sewing dos and don'ts, and realized too late that I had set the pocket flaps too far back, but in the end everyone said it looked great, and I'm happy with that.

I just had a look at the coat on display at the Doctor Who experience - I assume that this is an original.

I was suprised by the fabric, I thought it would be smooth like a cotton, but it was rougher, almost slightly wattled.

Dave,

Did you finally settle on an option? Hello Cosplay? Magnoli? Baron Boutique? Steve Ricks? Or are you still deciding?

Don't leave us hanging!

(I was going to say, "hanging by a thread", but that's such a horrible pun.)

I just received my commission from Steve Ricks; it's a beautiful piece (got the trousers and braces as well). Materials and sizing are excellent and well worth the price :thumbsup

Now to get the sweater and shirt!

That's awesome! Pictures please!

I'm leaning toward the Baron version but am waiting on the season 21 sweater to arrive before I go ahead and order anything.

Steve''s coats are fantastic I'm sure it's a fab piece. Would love to see pics too. Sweaters are coming mid-Jan. Sorry for the delays!

I sent an e-mail to Cosplaysky about the alterations, and included my illustrations, the responses I got was that they didn't quite understand them, so I re-did them in an easier to understand way.

http://ic.pics.livejournal.com/crowteerobot/47099543/1091/original.png
http://ic.pics.livejournal.com/crowteerobot/47099543/1487/original.png

http://ic.pics.livejournal.com/crowteerobot/47099543/1687/original.png
http://ic.pics.livejournal.com/crowteerobot/47099543/1944/original.png

I also asked them to leave off the buttons, as I'd like to add my own, that way I can be more satisfied with their placement and size.

This seemed to do the trick, and I got a response saying that they could easily make the alterations, and to just include a note when ordering. So, I think I'll bite the bullet and go ahead and order this coming week.

Having been looking at the same coat and considering requesting the same alterations I was curious if you ever got this or had any pics? Or has anyone gotten one of these coats from cosplaysky?

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back