Doctor Who - The 5th Doctor Coat Thread (Pic Heavy)

Dave Ward

Sr Member
This has been a bit of a White Whale for me...I grew up with Davison as the Doctor and always wanted one of these coats, but historically they have been tricky for vendors to get just right. We had a shot at a version using the Laughing Moon pattern, the back looked excellent, but the front was not so convincing.

Recently a couple of new options have popped up. Wanted everyone's feedback and thoughts on the coats that are out there at the moment.

First of all, here are the original two jackets from the show.

Castrovalva version:
01-Castrovalva-pt1+435.jpg

Season 21 version:
08.jpg

So our current options for replicas...first up, there's Steve Rick's coat. Price is tough to swallow, even for an ardent Who costume collector like me, but it is absolutely excellent.

8992559_479ee46700_b.jpg

Then there's the Magnoli coat, which comes in at $595.

camel-davison-sample.jpg

Now to the cheaper options from the budget cosplay stores. Some interesting options here. Cosplaysky offers a version for $145. Looks like a stylized version, almost Manga-y, with a real flare to the shape. A shame, as the colour looks good. Trim colour is a little dark but still not bad for the season 21.
who-is-doctor-red-stripe-beige-coat-costume-1.jpg

Finally, there's Hellocosplay at $129. Trim is too light, but the shape and colour are not bad at all, and the lapel shape is good.
the-5th-doctor-fifth-dr-coat-who-purchase-this-costume-1.jpg

What are your thoughts? Are there any other good options available?

There were a couple of options I left out. Also available since way back (the myspace era :lol) Honest Dragon did a version, but it was too far off the mark to bother with.

My favourite so far is the Hellocosplay - it's the lowest price, and seems to hit almost all the points. I wonder how flexible they are, and if they would be able to make a couple of alternations. The trim needs to be darker, and the pockets squared off. With those changes it might make a great season 21 coat.

Actually, looking more closely at the season 21 coat, the pockets did have a slightly rounded edge to them, unlike the Castrovalva coat.

DrWhos_468x568.jpg

Unfortunately, the lapel on the Hellocosplay seems somewhat high. I'm not sure if that's just the picture and the way the jacket is mounted on the model.

The dyed labcoat option is really meant for the ultimate budget costumer looking to spend Around $40 or so total on the coat (and has some sewing skills or a friend who will add the trim for free).

The Honest Dragon Five Coat wasn't all that good and to be honest they don't seem to technically be around anymore on ebay unless they've changed their name to moviecos.com or dream-cosplay - which have similar looking listings and are also base din China.

Hello Cosplay and Cosplaysky seem to have taken up the Honest Dragon baton of offering cheap (and slightly better looking) cosplay items though at that price it's hard to expect 100% accuracy.

Steve's gets my vote but I'm biased since that's mine pictured above. If one is looking to pinch pennies and go for the best of the lower cost options then for colors it's Cosplay Sky (though they really need to add that second top closure button!) and for silouette/shape and lapels I prefer the Hello Cosplay.

Here's the thing though- they are all made bespoke- you can always write to them and ask for changes in lapel shape etc. But in the case of Hello Cosplay all you really have to do is find your own beige fabric and trim (and it could be their lighting in the photo mind you) supply it yourself and then you KNOW you're getting what you want. Besides no matter how good or bad a coat looks on their site - it may not match what you get since you'll be at the mercy of whatever best match fabrics they can find in the market the week you place the order vs when the one pictured was made. Fabric availabilty has a very finite lifespan!

Also another unmentioned option is BaronBoutique.com. They don't officially list it but they will make a Davison Coat if emailed directly. I know two people who own one and they look good- more Season 21-ish. They will run about $280-$325 range.

BTW where did that picture of a beige Magnoli Davison coat turn up? I've only seen Magnoli list the all black variant on thier site. It's come a long way from my first Davison Frock Commission back in the summer of '09.

And yes the Season 21 gorge should sit a bit lower than the 19. So it depends on which one you're after and also how much positioning of the jacket on the mannequin is throwing things off.

Bob, how much trim do you recommend buying for one of these? I've had the beige gabardine forever and I'd love to finally pull the trigger on this one.

Also another unmentioned option is BaronBoutique.com. They don't officially list it but they will make a Davison Coat if emailed directly. I know two people who own one and they look good- more Season 21-ish. They will run about $280-$325 range.
Really? Can you find any pictures?

BTW where did that picture of a beige Magnoli Davison coat turn up? I've only seen Magnoli list the all black variant on thier site. It's come a long way from my first Davison Frock Commission back in the summer of '09.
That turned up here:
http://www.therpf.com/f24/magnoli-davison-frock-coat-128233/
Would love to hear more of your thoughts in this version.

I actually have my eye on the CosplaySky coat, and from what I've heard, the are very helpful with alterations. I especially like that their coat is very similar, especially the pattern on the back, to the actual screen used coat, except for the flaring of the bottom.

I decided to draw up some ideas and doing some photo manipulations to illustrate what I'd like to have them do if I ordered from them.

392571_10150740922490892_657795891_9831724_2042291856_n.jpg

529691_10150740922275892_657795891_9831722_1518369143_n.jpg

531375_10150740922045892_657795891_9831720_857921461_n.jpg

149416_10150740922360892_657795891_9831723_1250728552_n.jpg

578834_10150740922170892_657795891_9831721_462239540_n.jpg

522149_10150740921830892_657795891_9831719_130212226_n.jpg

Mostly it's just bringing in the flare of the bottom, but also making the vent in the back skinnier and bringing in the buttons, along with the addition of the second button on the front.

I sent an e-mail to Cosplaysky about the alterations, and included my illustrations, the responses I got was that they didn't quite understand them, so I re-did them in an easier to understand way.

original.png

original.png

original.png

original.png

I also asked them to leave off the buttons, as I'd like to add my own, that way I can be more satisfied with their placement and size.

This seemed to do the trick, and I got a response saying that they could easily make the alterations, and to just include a note when ordering. So, I think I'll bite the bullet and go ahead and order this coming week.

Baron Boutique are now offering a version at $399, but there are no pictures yet on their site. I sent them an email to see if they have any actual product images. At that price, it better be a contender, as I really like the Hellocosplay version as a budget option.

5th dr who coat

Last edited:
I don't know if anyone else has noticed this, but watching his post-regeneration scene, i just noticed, when he puts on the coat, the interfacing/underside of the coat collar is grey, if anyone needs a screencap of it, just ask away. Just thought i'd point it out, as i haven't heard anyone saying it before.

I don't know if anyone else has noticed this, but watching his post-regeneration scene, i just noticed, when he puts on the coat, the interfacing/underside of the coat collar is grey, if anyone needs a screencap of it, just ask away. Just thought i'd point it out, as i haven't heard anyone saying it before.

Yes please!
Baron are sending me pictures by the end of the week. I also asked them as a long shot it they'd be able to do the trousers and they said "no".

Good stuff.

Tengentally, Baron's prices seem to be creeping up - I'm wondering if the quality of their work is too. They're not bad, but they're not $599 good either, which is what they've started charging for some of their replicas. Very interested to see what they do with the Davison coat.

Baron have just finished theirs and were kind enough to upload a number of images. I would love to hear all of your thoughts. I can't help but feel that the lapels are off but it looks like a good start.

5thdrwhocoat4.jpg

5thdrwhocoat14.jpg

5thdrwhocoat8.jpg

5th dr who coat

Hmm, looks good. But the piping seems to be a MUCH too vibrant red, the real ones are more orange. And also, it lacks the flaring and slim cut of the real one, though i suspect that's due to the model not being as slim as Peter Davison.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back