Graflex Variations: Facts and vs. Replica

Really though Fred, what are the odds of that happening? Slim at best, I would wager. We are a niche market, not counterfeiting dollar bills and such. Information like this should be shared and posted.

Just to be devil's advocate here... these things would be worth nothing if it weren't for their value as a prop recreation... so if the replicas get better and better, what's the problem? If it's a question of not wanting to pay that much for a replica... don't pay that much. If you're getting into this for the "investment"... unless it's screen used, what's the point in that either. Just have fun, and play with lightsabers... and don't support inflationary prices on anything, replicas or originals.

Hello there,

Here's a picture of the so-called 'telegraph' button :

GraflexMB02.jpg

and the bottom :

GraflexMB01.jpg

-Chaim

I'd still love to find one of these. Anyone have one they're willing to part with?

I for one really appreciate threads like this. Because of the available info, I feel pretty confident that I purchased an authentic vintage graflex inc w/patent #.

I was very hesitant to buy it at first because the price seemed to good to be true but after talking to a few members and showing them some of the pics I requested from the seller, I feel really good about the purchase.

My only concern is that mine appears to have had the "beer tab" removed and the rivet is slightly damaged - probably from prying off the tab.

Is there a way to replace/repair this?

He was caught and prosecuted. Not a good example to prove your point. It more proves the point that having people know what to look for aided in the prosecution of this d-bag.

And maybe when he gets out, he'll know what mistakes he made, correct them and make better fakes, so he won't get caught.

I'm just saying, get this information off the publicly available part of the site. At least make the scammers have to do some work before they rip all of you off.

-Fred

I'm going to keep disagreeing. Sorry, man. This place has always been about information exchanging. You don't have to really work hard anymore to get at anything on the RPF, so why even make the attempt to conceal something like this. I'd wager most Graflexs that hit the bay are repros anyway. No need to focus on the negative aspect.

You can absolutely disagree - that's the great part about this place :cool.

Maybe I'm jaded from living/working in NYC, where fakes and knock-offs are hustled as "real" on damn near every street corner. Heck, I belong to forum whose only function is to try and help the overseas manufacturers make perfect replicas. Doesn't bother me, because I'd never buy the real deal, nor try to pass mine off as real. But owners of the authentic items do nothing but get pissed off every time a better replica hits the market. Most of their time is spent trying to shut that forum down.

Everyone is in favor of information overload, until it affects them negatively.

-Fred

@TJack : you can still use it for an ESB version lightsaber which had the beer tab removed although this would imply you'd probably have to get another red button and a real Kobold Flash Clamp for the D-ring eventhough there is an ESB version with only one red button in the glass eye socket . . . or you could make a Vader ROTJ lightsaber out of it by dismantling it further however this still means getting a Kobold Flash Clamp for the D-ring assembly :lol

-Chaim

I saw the top portion of one of the telegraph style Graflex you show here years ago while searching for my first Graflex.

I passed on it because it didn't fit what I needed for my ANH saber.

In hindsight, I would love to have it.

@TJack : you can still use it for an ESB version lightsaber which had the beer tab removed although this would imply you'd probably have to get another red button and a real Kobold Flash Clamp for the D-ring eventhough there is an ESB version with only one red button in the glass eye socket . . . or you could make a Vader ROTJ lightsaber out of it by dismantling it further however this still means getting a Kobold Flash Clamp for the D-ring assembly :lol

-Chaim

Thanks Chaim. I'm wanting it as a Luke ESB to wear/display with my Taun Taun. I'll openly admit that I don't know a lot about sabers so I'm not 100% sure what you are meaning with regards to the red button/D-ring info. Mine has 2 red buttons and a D-ring (although the ring looks a lot different than then the screen accurate ones I've seen).

I don't want to hijack the thread, maybe pm me and I can send you some pics of it.

I agree with the majority here that having the info out there is more important than not sharing due to fear of counterfeiters.

Right now the ONLY one making replica Graflexes is Parks. He has the infrastructure and customer base to sell them. Essentially, he is a manufacturer, seller and distributor. He's cornered the market.
It is highly unlikely anyone would even try to compete with him. It's just not worth it. It would cost too much money to start up.
To any smaller makers it would cost too much per individual unit. They couldn't be made cheaper than an original and certainly not to compete with Parks.
Even if someone did start a big production, there would always be "tells" in any replica. They'd never be perfect. From everything I've heard about cheap Chinese production you never get exactly what you ask for from the factory.

If you're thinking Parks will "correct" his replicas... I honestly don't think he cares. He's never been overly concerned with accuracy. He's also not the one trying to pass the replicas off as real.

This is a nice thread for comparisons between all the variations.
Maybe some others could chime in with pics of the older replicas like Larbel/PB and Graflex Reborn.

Maybe some others could chime in with pics of the older replicas like Larbel/PB and Graflex Reborn.

Good idea, Chris. I don't think I have one of those rusting Reborns. And let's not forget about Biskit, which I know I don't have. But...

In the beginning, there was Larbel... And it was good...

The first mass produced Graflex reproductions made for our saber needs.

Note the added "PB" on the endcap to make it obvious that they were not original Graflexes.

KC

Larbel%20Graflex.jpg

Larbel%20Endcap.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back