Graflex Variations: Facts and vs. Replica

@Kevin no need to feel jealous ... just say the words and we'll help you in finding your very first vintage graflex :)

-Chaim

P.S. The words are : 'graflex quest' ... oh and some gold pressed latinum might be convenient :D

My wife would not approve!

So 'MUM' is the word then :confused

I'd say you need to set your foot down :

44123rarepostcard.jpg

:D

-Chaim

Last edited:
Please tell me these things aren't like potato chips and I'll be okay with "just one."

@Sym-Cha. Thanks for the D-Ring advice. Perhaps I'll continue looking for something more screen accurate. Perhaps.

Please tell me these things aren't like potato chips and I'll be okay with "just one."

@Sym-Cha. Thanks for the D-Ring advice. Perhaps I'll continue looking for something more screen accurate. Perhaps.

End of December 2012 I had never touched a real vintage flashgun.

End of January 2013 I have 1 1/2 Graflex, 1 Heiland, 2 Graflite w/ a slave of each style.

Oh yeah...I have a Honeywell Strobe in the mail too. :lol

@Organic Mechanic, that's what I was afraid of. I haven't seen many people on this forum posting about their "lightsaber" in the singular.

@Sym-Cha I've been studying your D-Ring photos and the reference photos and think a ring in a slightly warmer tinted metal and a wider clip made of a dull metal (which I could do with sandpaper I suppose) are in order. I'll use the one I have for now, but I'll keep an eye out.

@Jerome, The ESB saber HAS been calling to me... I was looking at the reference photos for the D-Ring and came across the screen captures of the ESB saber in the snow. Sigh. The vintage sabers available on Ebay at the moment look pretty sad though.

If you're drilling a hole in the bottom, usually the metal is soft enough that it bends inward. I just turned it right-side up periodically, and banged a screwdriver handle down in there, flattening it to the table.

1/8" pilot hole, high RPM, low feed pressure prevented this issue for me. :thumbsup

Question for all you builders of vintage Graflex sabers: Does anyone do anything to stop the rabbit ears and bulb/clamp assembly from rocking side to side?

lol yes! some people put a drop of glue on the rivet, what I did was take two small pieces of pencil eraser, wrap them in black electrical tape and stuff them in the corners. It's rock solid, and I can take them out if I want.

lol yes! some people put a drop of glue on the rivet, what I did was take two small pieces of pencil eraser, wrap them in black electrical tape and stuff them in the corners. It's rock solid, and I can take them out if I want.

I like the idea of something that's easily reversible. I figured people had to do this, but I hadn't seen it mentioned. The rattling around every time I picked the thing up was getting annoying!

Thanks thd9791, and thanks for the photo.

Last edited:
To be honest . . . I just hammered down on the rivet from the backside while holding the front over a vice ... when do you young padawans start to learn that these graflex flashguns will never ever be used again for anything else then a Luke ANH or ESB lightsaber ... not to mention a Vader ROTJ Stunt lightsaber

A scratch or dent etcetera is a significant part and charm of the used-future appearance of these lightsabers from a long, long time ago in a galaxy far, far away :lol

-Chaim

Yeah, I've got an extra front end (no clamp, red button, or battery case) with a healthy dollop of that "Used Future" goodness.

Still haven't decided it's fate. Sell it? Vader it? Only time will tell. lol

I like the idea of something that's easily reversible. I figured people had to do this, but I hadn't seen it mentioned. The rattling around every time I picked the thing up was getting annoying!

Thanks thd9791, and thanks for the photo.

hey, glad I could help! And yea, I know we can beat these things up, I've just never seen one before - and I was actually impressed with the flashgun itself when I got mine.

I've just never seen one before - and I was actually impressed with the flashgun itself when I got mine.

Same here. I've only had mine for two weeks and I've become quickly attached. I do appreciate a nicely made and well engineered piece of equipment, and the vintage Graflex flash handles are both; and good looking too.

That said, I'm happy to glue, sand, drill, and scuff it to make it look like a fictional light sword from another galaxy.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back