Graflex Variations: Facts and vs. Replica

I used to have four or five of these things, now down to just one. But it's all original, and as far as I know, fully functional. The "saber" version of the bottom is a replica, I have the real 3-cell bottom in a box somewhere, along with a reflector that's in very good shape. I keep meaning to find some flashbulbs and see if it will still pop (I know the focus light still works).

Those Larbels are pretty cool, before my time sadly. Why were there holes punctured in the bottom? and around the base

Why were there holes punctured in the bottom? and around the base

The holes in the base are for the attachment of the D ring and the ones on the sides are for the ESB style grips. Note: Back in the day it was thought a two hole D ring was used but it's since been found that a single hole version was used.

IMG_6398.jpg

Here's a pic of the ESB grips.
09.jpg

Robert:)

Last edited:
:facepalm DUH! thank you :lol for some reason I pictured that as how it came, not mid-conversion.

Just to be devil's advocate here... these things would be worth nothing if it weren't for their value as a prop recreation...

:facepalm What he said. You're making a REPLICA of a prop but the Graflex has to be REAL? Even then, however visually accurate your replica may be, there's still some things that will never be "real", like the D-ring or grips. Just get a replica so the photo enthusiaists and collectors will stop whining about "those Star Wars fans destroying photographic history".

If having a real Graflex somehow makes you feel better about it, well... I just don't know what to say about that. If you want one, maybe it's a good idea to be as educated about vintage flashes as the props made with them. It couldn't hurt.

And if someone does start passing off replicas as real, I'm sure we'll find out soon enough.

I agree as well. It does feel better having an original graflex, but that's not necessarily for the lightsaber's sake. For me it's cool to have something the prop-makers back then would have used. If I had a replica I would be equally as happy - prop wise. Maybe for nostalgia's sake i'd be a little bummed, but that's not really a prop-thing.

I think people are worried about $400 flash guns showing up on the market that aren't actually from the 50's (or w.e time period we're talking about), but with these details, they might be able to sell them to people willing to pay more for a real item rather than a great copy by parks.

Though, honestly, I wouldn't even pay that for a real one. These things are worthless to camera collectors, comparatively. Graflites are 25-50 bucks, the only thing making these any more special is the lack of plastic and the cameras they come with. The only reason they go over $200 is that we are so desperate for them.

I do believe, though that there will always be some way to tell if it's real. If not, well these things aren't crap, even the replicas are sturdy impressive pieces of equipment. Just don't spend more than Parks on anything and work out the details from there...

IIRC when these were offered you had the choice of predrilled ANH or ESB patterned holes. As Robert McLain wrote, they were for the mounting of the grips and D-ring. These were made specifically for conversion into lightsaber replicas.

KC

Those Larbels are pretty cool, before my time sadly. Why were there holes punctured in the bottom? and around the base

These were made specifically for conversion into lightsaber replicas.

Ooh, that's cool. it makes sense now that i think about it, the ones out now are also classified as working flashguns, it would make sense to tap them if they were specifically for lightsaber replicas

Found another Early FOLMER Graflex without Patent # variation:

This is another early red button

So short knurling, but also a second level or line of thickness around the bottom.

^ I believe congratulations are in order . . . yes?

And when you say 'found' you do mean in the attic, correct?

:D

-Chaim

Well... didn't FIND by definition... or maybe I did... but its from a Graflex I picked up on ebay. One of the early shinier bodied ones. A first seeing this button though.

Hi, you all - There is some kind of "Franken-Graflex" around: I found a "real" Graflex today that was really hard to identify as a "semi-fake" due to a very evil trick:

It was an older Folmer 2-cell, with the "lower part" of the Grip and the clamp of a replica.

It took me two hours of comparing pictures and details until I finally found out what happened there! I also made a list of hints for a fake Graflex and hints for a vintage Graflex.

Only in the end I found out, that all the "tells" have only been at the bottom and the clamp!

So: be careful or you will get ripped of!

Hi, you all - There is some kind of "Franken-Graflex" around: I found a "real" Graflex today that was really hard to identify as a "semi-fake" due to a very evil trick:

It was an older Folmer 2-cell, with the "lower part" of the Grip and the clamp of a replica.

It took me two hours of comparing pictures and details until I finally found out what happened there! I also made a list of hints for a fake Graflex and hints for a vintage Graflex.

Only in the end I found out, that all the "tells" have only been at the bottom and the clamp!

So: be careful or you will get ripped of!

Ntmf, a lot of info and pictures about real vs replica is posted at the start of this thread. If you've found something new, it would be great to see it if you could post details and pictures.

Pretty much the only way is replicas (PArks), or buying them on ebay. Warning, they go HIGH for vintage ones.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back