Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 12171819202122
Subscribe
  1. Member Since
    Jan 2016
    Messages
    676
    Jun 10, 2017, 6:09 PM - Re: Graflex Variations: Facts and vs. Replica #526

    Hey @Fusion ! If you're asking about the clip part, that's on the GRAFLEX as the D-Ring holder for the ESB/TFA Skywalker Lightsaber, it's the physical step that lies 1/2 way across the curved side of the clip.

    If you're asking about the Kobold Flash body, I think, don't quote me on this, that what the "stepped top" is, is a secondary "step" in the shiny aluminum cylinder that is just above the largest knurled ring on the top section of the flash.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	original-kobold-flash-star-wars-droid_1_b42eb874fb476d2bc2c4248ee17fa554.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	21.7 KB 
ID:	735356 In this pic (Google from Worthpoint - if it's yours I credit you here!), see the black ring with the "button" on it, above that is the largest knurled section, and above that is the "step", I think.
  2. Member Since
    Apr 2016
    From
    'Merica
    Messages
    121
    Jun 12, 2017, 4:04 PM - Re: Graflex Variations: Facts and vs. Replica #527

    @Ridire is correct in the step description for the flash hadle itself and that picture shows the step very well, other versions just have a smooth curve from silver to black area. I'm unaware of a step on the bottom, sometimes a large retention screw is in the bottom that looks like a step but not machined in. Other variances are black or all silver and the rings with and without knurling plus a couple others like bulb style and such.
  3. RPF Premium Member Fusion's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 2016
    From
    Washington DC
    Messages
    186
    Jun 12, 2017, 4:14 PM - Re: Graflex Variations: Facts and vs. Replica #528

    DrkSideTndncies said: View Post
    @Ridire is correct in the step description for the flash hadle itself and that picture shows the step very well, other versions just have a smooth curve from silver to black area. I'm unaware of a step on the bottom, sometimes a large retention screw is in the bottom that looks like a step but not machined in. Other variances are black or all silver and the rings with and without knurling plus a couple others like bulb style and such.
    It would appear that I have finally picked up my first Kobold, and it looks exactly like the silver one above.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  4. Title's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 2016
    From
    Norway
    Messages
    97
    Sep 14, 2017, 3:14 PM - Re: Graflex Variations: Facts and vs. Replica #529

    Does anyone know if the "telegraph" ever came in 2-cell format?

    I bought one this morning, and I'm kinda tempted to swap the bottom with my vintage 2-cell
  5. Member Since
    Jan 2016
    Messages
    676
    Sep 14, 2017, 8:32 PM - Re: Graflex Variations: Facts and vs. Replica #530

    Hey @Title ! The patent drawings had it as a 2-CELL.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	US2310165-2.png 
Views:	64 
Size:	73.5 KB 
ID:	758742

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	US2310165-1.png 
Views:	56 
Size:	58.0 KB 
ID:	758743

    I'm super jealous by the way. Where'd you find it?
  6. Title's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 2016
    From
    Norway
    Messages
    97
    Sep 14, 2017, 9:25 PM - Re: Graflex Variations: Facts and vs. Replica #531

    Ridire Firean said: View Post
    Hey @Title ! The patent drawings had it as a 2-CELL.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	US2310165-2.png 
Views:	64 
Size:	73.5 KB 
ID:	758742

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	US2310165-1.png 
Views:	56 
Size:	58.0 KB 
ID:	758743

    I'm super jealous by the way. Where'd you find it?
    Oh thanks!! Now I wont feel bad swapping the bottoms

    I found it on eBay at 5:20am yesterday... I couldn't sleep and checked eBay randomly. It had been up for less than an hour, but probably a lot less.... $350!!! (And $90 shipping since I live in Norway)

    Best impulse buy yet!

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5410.JPG 
Views:	79 
Size:	92.3 KB 
ID:	758755Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5409.JPG 
Views:	66 
Size:	690.5 KB 
ID:	758754Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5411.JPG 
Views:	70 
Size:	196.6 KB 
ID:	758756
  7. fezfox's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 2017
    Messages
    71
    4 Weeks Ago  Sep 15, 2017, 4:02 AM - Re: Graflex Variations: Facts and vs. Replica #532

    Jelous!
  8. Avolow's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 2012
    From
    Colorado
    Messages
    164
    1 Week Ago  Oct 11, 2017, 9:59 PM - Re: Graflex Variations: Facts and vs. Replica #533

    So for quite some time now (since the very early 90s) I have had a collection of Graflex parts that I bought from a guy that got them at government auction. Most of this stuff came wrapped in paper and dipped cosmoline. (If you don't know what that is, Google it. The Military wrapped everything from nuts and bolts to battleships in the stuff and it is a serious pain to get off when it is 40+ years old)

    Most of this stuff was extension flashes, center clips, a ton of the common glass eyes, some Folmer eyes, the smaller flash dish mounts, and other random easily removable parts like levers, bulbs, and the little square washers.

    Among the normal clamps are some chromed clamps that bear a remarkable resemblance to the Roman clamps. I know that they are not replicas because I have had them since before anyone even though about making replica flash units. They honestly aren't even as good a quality in the the stamping as the Romans clamps. I am just trying to find some more info about them.

    Anyone else have any of these style clamps?

    Avolow.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	22382090_10214370756844457_6213472416734118336_o.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	133.9 KB 
ID:	765391   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	22424490_10214370755444422_1868504394340609442_o.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	141.1 KB 
ID:	765392   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	22424624_10214370748884258_455726741101129798_o.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	146.7 KB 
ID:	765393  

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	22384340_10214370753204366_1049946207833548360_o.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	134.8 KB 
ID:	765394  
  9. RPF Premium Member thd9791's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 2011
    From
    Buffalo, New York, United States
    Messages
    4,191
    1 Week Ago  Oct 12, 2017, 12:34 AM - Re: Graflex Variations: Facts and vs. Replica #534

    Avolow said: View Post
    So for quite some time now (since the very early 90s) I have had a collection of Graflex parts that I bought from a guy that got them at government auction. Most of this stuff came wrapped in paper and dipped cosmoline. (If you don't know what that is, Google it. The Military wrapped everything from nuts and bolts to battleships in the stuff and it is a serious pain to get off when it is 40+ years old)

    Most of this stuff was extension flashes, center clips, a ton of the common glass eyes, some Folmer eyes, the smaller flash dish mounts, and other random easily removable parts like levers, bulbs, and the little square washers.

    Among the normal clamps are some chromed clamps that bear a remarkable resemblance to the Roman clamps. I know that they are not replicas because I have had them since before anyone even though about making replica flash units. They honestly aren't even as good a quality in the the stamping as the Romans clamps. I am just trying to find some more info about them.

    Anyone else have any of these style clamps?

    Avolow.
    this is fascinating! I hate cosmoline and I love it. I brasso-ed a ton of it off a browning booster recently..and it was in nearly mint condition underneath.

    wonder why the govn't wanted chromed flash units..
  10. RPF Premium Member Fusion's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 2016
    From
    Washington DC
    Messages
    186
    1 Week Ago  Oct 12, 2017, 2:31 PM - Re: Graflex Variations: Facts and vs. Replica #535

    Mmmmm, Browning booster... ;-)


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  11. Avolow's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 2012
    From
    Colorado
    Messages
    164
    6 Days Ago  Oct 13, 2017, 7:48 AM - Re: Graflex Variations: Facts and vs. Replica #536

    thd9791 said: View Post
    this is fascinating! I hate cosmoline and I love it. I brasso-ed a ton of it off a browning booster recently..and it was in nearly mint condition underneath.

    wonder why the govn't wanted chromed flash units..
    Don't think it was anything the government "wanted" as apposed to just had. These chromed pieces were only maybe 5 out of the 70 or so I originally got in the lot. Most of this collection was in the cosmoline, but some of it was not. And yeah, the stuff that was in it, was in perfect shape. For me, a coffee can of gas, a pair of chemical gloves, and a brush did the trick.
  12. RPF Premium Member thd9791's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 2011
    From
    Buffalo, New York, United States
    Messages
    4,191
    6 Days Ago  Oct 13, 2017, 8:16 PM - Re: Graflex Variations: Facts and vs. Replica #537

    Gas...oline?
  13. Avolow's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 2012
    From
    Colorado
    Messages
    164
    4 Days Ago  Oct 15, 2017, 10:42 AM - Re: Graflex Variations: Facts and vs. Replica #538

    thd9791 said: View Post
    Gas...oline?
    Yep. The clamps I soaked (that's why most of them do not have any black in the letters), the extension flashes used a tooth brush and a towel. After that I washed them all with soap and water. That was around 20 years ago when I first started selling the stuff off online.

    Avolow.
  14. Member Since
    Jan 2016
    Messages
    676
    4 Days Ago  Oct 15, 2017, 10:47 AM - Re: Graflex Variations: Facts and vs. Replica #539

    Hey @thd9791 ! Gasoline works great on sticker residue too! Just wash with soap and water quickly after your done~!

    I should mention that this trick is for OEM warning labels and decal graphics on motorcycle tanks and bodywork.
  15. halliwax's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 2013
    From
    Fairhaven, MA
    Messages
    8,410
    4 Days Ago  Oct 15, 2017, 11:21 AM - Re: Graflex Variations: Facts and vs. Replica #540

    I have always used this stuff on stickers, decals or trim on automotive stuff


    Itís safe on the paint

Similar Threads

  1. so what Graflex Replica have I got here then
    Country Paul, Star Wars Costumes and Props
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: Jan 14, 2017, 7:34 PM
  2. The Ultimate Graflex replica?
    Robiwon, Replica Props
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: Oct 6, 2008, 1:44 PM
  3. graflex variations?
    jedivigneri, Replica Props
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: Dec 4, 2006, 4:12 PM