Graflex Variations: Facts and vs. Replica

http://www.scottandtemphotography.com/graflexSaber/sm3/R20120205-231522.jpg

Long time lurker and finally first time poster. Love these kinds of threads so much great info, I finally managed to pick up a 3 cell folmer bottom with NY spelt out. As I only have the top of a graflex and the bottom coming in the mail I cant put it together seeing as I still don't have a clamp. So my question is because I've never had one of these, is the graflex shown on the end of this pic^ the way it would interlock with the clamp on? Im asking this just so I can see the placement of the stamping on the bottom

thankss

Yes. There are tabs on the inside of the clamp that fit into the slots on the tube. They slide up and turn to lock it in. Its referred to as a "bayonet lock".

The prices nowadays are absolute madness. Who on earth is paying for those? I just can't imagine. Now you could hardly buy a red button for what I paid for my last Graflex.

I don't need more Graflexes, but it's still sad to think I can't hope to purchase another if I wanted to. Even crappy Graflites and Heilands are showing up with $125 or $150 BIN prices! Outta control.

Thank you for enlightening me Scott. But where do the replicas come from? I haven't seen any replicas besides the parks ones but they aren't really for flashing the bulb of a camera. His newest one ( the 2.0 kit ) is extremely impressive, but not like the originals in some ways. Are there unaltered replicas of the graflex out there that are close to the original and still perform the flash bulb camera functions? I would very much like to get a vintage when the price goes down a bit. What did they sell for before the TFA madness?

Thank you for enlightening me Scott. But where do the replicas come from? I haven't seen any replicas besides the parks ones but they aren't really for flashing the bulb of a camera. His newest one ( the 2.0 kit ) is extremely impressive, but not like the originals in some ways. Are there unaltered replicas of the graflex out there that are close to the original and still perform the flash bulb camera functions? I would very much like to get a vintage when the price goes down a bit. What did they sell for before the TFA madness?

Roman is doing a run of Graflex replicas here: http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=238355

Oops I should have read the full thread posted above more closely ... JQ Sabers replied and I quote : 'Don't think these can be passed off a genuine as they won't have any flashgun internal parts just a ready made blade holder.'

Chaim

I just picked this Vintage Graflex off of Craigslist yesterday for a great price. Looks like a very early one. It was already converted when I got it. It doesn't have the correct number of T-Tracks and I'm not sure the D-ring is the correct one but here are some pictures. What do you think?

C4491B2F-93F5-4C34-BE84-C20E20365D37_zpsuo9c8bpz.jpg

C6D10041-6D1B-457A-9323-B9F294B06F1A_zpsg7kv4ola.jpg

6727FB64-D3C1-4CFE-A002-CE5F3F189A95_zpswiu0gk4d.jpg

1CFB9026-E127-47F8-BE09-1D966E62B582_zpslcqvxby0.jpg

3CD8E25F-05E0-44A1-A751-3D73C0D6BAE4_zpsocgywybn.jpg

795B450D-B72E-4F04-9420-C2E0FF654275_zps4trhpiwo.jpg

88CB2BE5-0AA9-4BC6-AB26-261FBE83874E_zps0zubrkvp.jpg

DE1B659B-A0A8-4D0B-82D0-617EE7A6ED5E_zpsv9rfwjab.jpg

Last edited:
It's perfect . . . for a Luke ESB ... with the ESB parts set from Roy at wannawanga + 2 red buttons ... great score nonetheless ... :)

Chaim

I just picked this Vintage Graflex off of Craigslist yesterday for a great price.

Nice find! That's an old school ANH conversion with incorrect number of grips, incorrect d-ring mount, and incorrect foil tape, all of which were commonly accepted as "correct" about 15 years ago. I agree with Chaim, make an ESB saber out of it. It's got the hard to find Folmer New York stamped bottom for it, and the Kobold d-ring mount will cover up the two incorrect holes that are already drilled in the bottom. Leave the foil on the clamp, get yourself two correct red buttons (yours currently has incorrect knurling), and this stuff:
http://wannawanga.com/products/luke-esb-complete-set/

That's a really nice Graflex though, it's even got the straight, uncapped pins.

Last edited:
I would very much like to get a vintage when the price goes down a bit. What did they sell for before the TFA madness?

The last complete 3-cell I bought was in September of 2014 and I paid $163 after shipping. That was a fair auction price then. They were climbing toward 200 though, and I wasn't willing to go that high. There a plenty of people on here with stories of finding a $25 Graflex back in the 90's though.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back