1/48 Star Wars Stage Echo Base Hangar Diorama

First, congratulation for the great work!
Second, I just finished to see ESB on ScyFy... and I notest a interesting thing...
In the movie, the MF blast of trough the main door of the base(the movie set).
However, in the base chematic, the main gate doesn't have enough opening to the MF size...
TAOTESBscan01.jpg

From here: http://www.therpf.com/f11/screen-ac...kpit-cg-model-102451/index17.html#post1783485
When I see your diorama developement I tought that MF would take off trough the vertical shaft, but from the plans that seems impossible! And your hangar door look to small for that too... as you use the same plan :) .
I understand that your diorama is also a recreation to the original set used, but I was thinking that it will be a little strange to see the "unrealistic" real size set used ...

Oh well, the MF is a ship off riddles, after all. It will be fit, that it "can't" fit!

Please, send more photos!

Best regards,

G_Mendes

...In the movie, the MF blasts off through the main door of the base (the movie set).
However, in the base schematic, the main gate doesn't have enough opening to the MF size...

...When I see your diorama development I thought that MF would take off through the vertical shaft, but from the plans that seems impossible! And your hangar door looks to small for that too... as you used the same plan :) .
I understand that your diorama is also a recreation to the original set used, but I was thinking that it will be a little strange to see the "unrealistic" real size set used ...

You're absolutely correct. The entrance to the cave was designed to fit the actual opening of the sound stage and the Millennium Falcon would never have fit through the doors (and didn't as the Full Size Falcon was brought in in sections). I assume that the elevated floor and the narrowing in the back was to create a forced perspective to simulate a larger entrance than what was physically possible.:)
The curved section and upward 'shaft' where the MF sits is very reminiscent of Docking Bay 94, so perhaps the original (and abandoned) thought was that it would fly up through the cone and out(?).

Another little bit of trivia of Stage Vs Film, the filmed version of the Hanger is actually longer than the real set. The Snowspeeder that flew into the bay, after getting Han and Luke, would have had to stop short on the set, otherwise it would crash right into the MF (unless it was a totally separate hanger). Likewise, when Han runs into the Hanger with the Taun Taun, he would have run right up to the MF on Stage, but we see it being cut and moved back to appear larger. But that's part of the filming brilliance of Irvin Kershner :)

Last edited:
You're absolutely correct. The entrance to the cave was designed to fit the actual opening of the sound stage and the Millennium Falcon would never have fit through the doors (and didn't as the Full Size Falcon was brought in in sections). I assume that the elevated floor and the narrowing in the back was to create a forced perspective to simulate a larger entrance than what was physically possible.:)
The curved section and upward 'shaft' where the MF sits is very reminiscent of Docking Bay 94, so perhaps the original (and abandoned) thought was that it would fly up through the cone and out(?).

Another little bit of trivia of Stage Vs Film, the filmed version of the Hanger is actually longer than the real set. The Snowspeeder that flew into the bay, after getting Han and Luke, would have had to stop short on the set, otherwise it would crash right into the MF (unless it was a totally separate hanger). Likewise, when Han runs into the Hanger with the Taun Taun, he would have run right up to the MF on Stage, but we see it being cut and moved back to appear larger. But that's part of the filming brilliance of Irvin Kershner :)

Never had noticed that! Nice "catch"!

G_Mendes

Got a large box in the mail today...I wonder what it is? :confused
8476313249_1997a8b145.jpg

Happy Valentines Day to me! :love

8476313227_ae58a484e3.jpg

8476313203_e225296137.jpg

I now have my 4 X-Wings (three for the Bay's and one for the center), and 6 Snowspeeders that inhabit the hanger. Right now the hanger looks a little empty, and I look forward to getting these put together and painted to add to the diorama. I realize that on the stage set, each X-Wing is designated as Red 5, but I cannot bring myself to make them all Red Five...Maybe I'll change my mind later down the line to make it more "accurate". Unless someone can show me evidence that there where other FS designations?

Well, at least I have 4 more new R2 units. I pulled out one of the FM 1/48 R2 units to compare it to my 3D printed unit. Pretty darn close on size. The paneling is more obvious on the FM unit, but I am still siding with my 3D units. Ignore my sloppy paint job. There was a residue that I did not clean off before I started to paint it, and it messed it up.

8476313495_2abfd5eef6.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the compliments. I seriously don't have any talent. This is a first for me and I am just diving in and doing it. My father-in-law is designing a lighting system to light up the 80+ LEDs that will be added to the dio. I need to get those installed before I can proceed.

I look forward to collaborating with Stevestarkiller when it comes time to build the FM :)

Last edited:
The top of the gantry is almost complete. I originally had all the parts laser cut out of acrylic, however the laser was too hot for the thin plastic, and all the parts warped. As I put the thing together, it just turned into a huge mess, things broke, parts weren't straight, others didn't fit together, etc. So I scraped it.

I then drew it up, and had the whole thing printed. In the end it came out much better and was actually cheaper than the laser cut one. I will have to repair the railing as it came broken, but all and all I am pleased with how it came out.

8532857136_50cc05218c.jpg

8531746059_8d9fe3be8c.jpg

And thanks to maruska, I have the first parts for my Falcon:cheers

sorry the pics are difficult to make out

Shapeways.com/Repair Gantry

Last edited:
'Preciate the compliments :)

Painted the "concete" floor of the back stage. Gives it a cleaner look. Not quite like concrete though, any one have painting suggestions?
8703957351_8465afb934.jpg

Finished building up one X-wing so far, and snapped some pictures to see how it was going to look. The walls are a dry fit only.
8703957341_ae3304143d.jpg

8703957303_ac6c809931.jpg

This is incredible.

This is the exact dio I wanted to tackle.
My one other dio dear to my heart is the Home One landing bay, in the Mon Cal ship from Return of the Jedi.
I want it in 48th scale. I'm only missing the Imperial Shuttle in 48th scale.
I'm going to have to save some buck to have a scratchbuilt version done.

I can't wait until you've finished.

I pm'd about some of the bits and bobs you're using, hoping I can buy some pieces.

fingers crossed

Jim

Thanks for the encouraging words. Lowelker, it doesn't appear that I got your PM, what are you curious about?

Erredois nice diorama. I like how much the figures make it come to life. I like it:thumbsup

Last edited:
small update...
I finally managed to put together the gantry. It is a bit messy and I still need to repair the rails that broke (not to mention painting it), but I think it still looks cool. I could not help but see what it looks like with the X-Wing parked under it.

IMG_9621.JPGIMG_9622.JPG
IMG_9623.JPGIMG_9624.JPG
IMG_9625.JPGIMG_9626.JPG
IMG_9627.JPG

Last edited:
The top of the gantry is almost complete. I originally had all the parts laser cut out of acrylic, however the laser was too hot for the thin plastic, and all the parts warped. As I put the thing together, it just turned into a huge mess, things broke, parts weren't straight, others didn't fit together, etc. So I scraped it.

I then drew it up, and had the whole thing printed. In the end it came out much better and was actually cheaper than the laser cut one. I will have to repair the railing as it came broken, but all and all I am pleased with how it came out.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8382/8532857136_50cc05218c.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8365/8531746059_8d9fe3be8c.jpg

And thanks to maruska, I have the first parts for my Falcon:cheers

sorry the pics are difficult to make out

Awesome work!!!!

Is it possible to get this part printed off larger to the 3 3/4 inch figure size???

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back