1/48 Star Wars Stage Echo Base Hangar Diorama

Awesome job on the diorama , i will post my battle of hoth diorama''s as soon as i have some nice photo''s of them. Can you tell me where i can have items like this printed and maybe a link to a website for this ??? very interested on that. Thnx in advance.

Those 3D printed droids are going to generate a lot of interest and sales! I'm sure that there are some Fine Molds fans wanting to create some dio's in 1/72 scale here too. I'd like to see some "cargo boxes/cubes" made in 1/72 for the DB 94 dio that I plan on doing with my FM Falcon. Those really look great!

PM sent Steve :)

A lot of the paneling detail was lost in the printing. Strangely enough, each one has a slightly different amount of detail that came through while on others the detail/paneling disappeared. But under bright lights and the right angle, I can just make out the hint of the panel lines. The backside of the droids didn't come out at all, unfortunately. I can only imagine that making these smaller, for a 1/72 kit, all the fine detail will be gone.

I am tempted to get these guys made in 1/24 scale (AKA Studio Scale for the X-Wings and Y-Wings) as I am sure the detail will come through much better at a larger scale.

PM sent Steve :)

A lot of the paneling detail was lost in the printing. Strangely enough, each one has a slightly different amount of detail that came through while on others the detail/paneling disappeared. But under bright lights and the right angle, I can just make out the hint of the panel lines. The backside of the droids didn't come out at all, unfortunately. I can only imagine that making these smaller, for a 1/72 kit, all the fine detail will be gone.

I am tempted to get these guys made in 1/24 scale (AKA Studio Scale for the X-Wings and Y-Wings) as I am sure the detail will come through much better at a larger scale.

When you get them printed, do they give you a 'resolution' of what can actually be 3d printed to what accuracy? How fine can you make indentations?

When you get them printed, do they give you a 'resolution' of what can actually be 3d printed to what accuracy? How fine can you make indentations?

There is no "resolution" so to speak, just size. Their min wall thickness that they can print is .3mm IF you use Frosted Ultra fine detail, most other selections require at least .7mm thick. But all Q&A about printing can best be answered on their website or by contacting the company directly.

Painted the little guys up. Next time I'll use a smaller brush, but I was too eager to get them done. I don't know if it is the material of the print or if there is any oils on it, but they didn't take paint very well. I'll have to do some test with my next prints to see if its the paint, or the 3D model. But I do like how they look.

7472573220_f4801b3e58_z.jpg

7472573216_2d7b9609ee.jpg
7472573148_39580018e1_n.jpg

7472569256_801a9894c3.jpg

Last edited:
Need to give this thread a little bump :)

SteveStarkiller provided me with some great ref and info on the Military Runway lights that are seen around the Millennium Falcon. Scaling the lights down to fit my Diorama, made it too small to be 3D printed AS-IS, so dimensions had to be exaggerated to come out right.

7490690264_d2540e4e30.jpg

7545304326_c08cc7992c.jpg

7545304278_aa5d4aede6.jpg

I am not sure how many of these lights circle the MF, I am guessing four, does anyone here know for sure?

thanks again Steve for your help:thumbsup couldn't have got these done without you.

https://www.shapeways.com/product/Z...runway-landing-light-w-base?optionId=43336990

Last edited:
Seven, Thanks for the credit! I'm sorry we didn't get a chance to collaborate on those more, but hell, I have to say those turned out supremely well! Good job, man.

Thanks Sofaking!

neat, where did you get those figures? Are the 1/72 scale too?

Seven, Thanks for the credit! I'm sorry we didn't get a chance to collaborate on those more, but hell, I have to say those turned out supremely well! Good job, man.

I def want to collaborate once I start tackling the MF. perhaps once I am ready to, you'll have the whole thing figured out :love

The Treadwell droid came broken, and was a pain to glue back together. But next time I'll make the neck thicker to avoid breakage...
7558132410_0de62d6180.jpg

They certainly do have a bit of oil on them that needs to be washed off with soap and scrubbed with a toothbrush. Also the Tamiya paints do not stick well to them even after the cleaning.

7558132658_6e7107fc7d.jpg

Here's a fun shot to get a pre-visualization on how things are going to fit together

7558132738_577a1864a3.jpg

wow, the camera flash really changes the color of that orange top on the Gonk

Last edited:
well, not much of an update, I have a few more 3D projects that I am drafting up, and I currently have something coming to me in the mail that I am excited about (to be posted as soon as it arrives),

But I am starting to put a little something together now, not sure if you can guess what it is from the pics
7985633739_367ba0bf05.jpg

7985633427_49eff8b784.jpg

Last edited:
This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back