EP III clone helmet. Rough sculpt PIX*

Originally posted by clonesix@Oct 24 2005, 01:35 PM
Thanks guys.  Now I feel guilty just letting the helmet sit on the workbench and not touching it all weekend.
[snapback]1102918[/snapback]​

best way to get rid of that guilt is to send me a helmet, nothing to it.

;)

badger

Oh, ok thanks. still, YOU ARE AMAZING :) did youdraw up the line art yourself to trace onto the foam? great job on that also.

Scott

you are my hero..

DSC05173(2).JPG

could you post those drawings, please?? thanks in advance..

I can't wait to see it finished :D :D

awesome work, I'm just beginning to learn the wonders of foam, we're using the standard white foam in a sculpting class I'm taking.

I'd posted a separate thread but thought I'd get an opinion here if possible, I'm thinking of using some type of foam for sculpting bucks for a vac-table. I'm not so concerned about it being hard enough, but rather that the heat (and any resulting fumes) won't be an issue.

Do you know how this stuff reacts to heat, have you ever tried vacuforming it? I'd love some feedback on whether the heat (which dissipates pretty quickly after the pull) will be too hot and cause any dimpling in the foam and consequently ruin the pull.

I'm just so impressed with foam's versatility and want to avoid working much with resin or plaster and I don't have tools for woodworking. I plan to try the vac on some foam anyway when I make the table but thought if anyone had burned their house down trying it before it'd be nice to know ahead of time :)

Very awesome work, I'm really starting to think I want my next suit to be an epIII clone...

Thanks,
Phil

Okay, serious question.

WHAT IS THE FOAM CALLED THAT YOU USE TO SCULPT ?

The term "foam" and "expanded foam" is used loosely throughout this thread, so I assumed that it must be some kind of expanded polystyrtene insulation foam.

But today I got a call from a heavily disappointed Odiwan72, who had visited a local building supply market due to a hint from me, but didn´t find the locally available STYRODUR (product name used in Germany for expanded polystyrene foam for insulating walls) being the same kind or similar material as the one you use for sculpting.

So, we need a clear technical description of the material to compare it to other brands and their insulation products. The usual short term for that stuff is "XPS" for "expanded polystyrene".

Dow Chemicals make something that is sold as STYROFOAM(blue colour) (another brand name that has been widely accepted as being an actual materials name), but they also use the names PERIMATE, FLOORMATE, ROOFMATE, respectively named for the intended use as perimeter insulation, wall insulation or roof insulation :p .

The main difference in the appearance and quality is the level of insulation and pressure resistance the XPS has. And I think that is what the distinctive characteristics are that might help us finding a similar material.

I hope you guys can help.

It is that letter and number gibberish that is printed on the side or the top of the blocks/sheets you have that certainly will help us find the right material.

Thanks in advance,

Michael
(sheesh, engineers degree and can´t name a sandable polystyrene from the top of my head ;) )

The foam is 4 lb. ridged polyurethane insulation.

Polystyrene insulation is not the same. It won't carve/sand the same, and will dissolve by most solvents.

Here is a place that you can order it on line

http://www.generalplastics.com/products/pr...ail.php?pid=19&

If that doesn't work for you, here is the contact information for the place I get it from:

Western McArthur Co.
(916) 423-1136
(in california) (800) 628-1281

salesman: Phillip Morgan Phillip_Morgan@macarthurco.com

I asked him if they will ship, and he said yes, they will.

Hope that helps

Thanks, that definitely helps .

Of course its polyurethane *slaps himself on the forehead* Short term PUR, product can be found at www.puren.com, with links to other German/european manufacturers.

So simple...

Michael

Originally posted by clonesix@Oct 19 2005, 03:23 PM
The mohawk is in the making.  Here is a first look at teh dome with the mohawk. 

mohawk01.jpg

[snapback]1099820[/snapback]​

It looks like the front falls off faster (less incline) than the MR, and the back seems to sit less obtrusively. It appears the scale will be more wearable, as well, but hard to tell w/o comparisons. Great stuff.

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back