Deanna Troi Wig Tutorial/ Costume

AbbyDarkStar

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Deanna Troi Wig Tutorial:

Zen and I wanted to do Deanna Troi and William Riker for WonderCon. We were both lucky enough that Anovo’s lent us the use of their prototype redshirt, and screen used science officer outfits. I also have the cranberry jumpsuit that was made for me a couple of years ago that I hadn’t worn to a convention.

I knew that one of the signature identifying aspects of Troi was her hair. So I set about styling a black-brown lace front wig.

It arrived poofier than hell, and snarled. I was at a loss and began to do some research!
2dt2k5.jpg

Huzzah! I discovered Johnson and Johnson No More Tangles.
24l6l5i.jpg

Spraying the wig about 4 inches above, I coated the strands with the No More Tangles and then ran my fingers through the hair. It worked beautifully!

es68gp.jpg

Once I got the wig entirely detangled, I began the styling process. I separated the hair into parts and began to ‘tease’ it a bit to give it volume in the front.

282jl7o.jpg

I then pulled it back and secured the front with multiple bobby pins. To get the full look, I went for a half up/half down look that she has in several episodes.

p7pfd.jpg

i6ci1v.jpg

Then came the headband. Now, it was the day before the convention so I went with what I had. A childs headband, hot glue and some ‘jewels’.

23vz6g2.jpg

Taking a reference image, I sketched (badly) what I thought the design was. Then, realizing I didn’t have enough jewels of the colors I needed, improvised!
1415d6s.jpg

1z1y0bn.jpg

The finished product was then pinned into the wig!
2vifc6x.jpg

7u4l.jpg

I plan on redoing the headband with actual beading but in a pinch, it worked! Once I put the screen used costume on, I took the headband off ☺
ixz49g.jpg

ncila9.jpg

23kc8le.jpg

(photos provided by Eurobeat Kasumi & Anovos)

MUCH THANKS TO ANOVOS FOR MAKING MY INNER TREK FANGIRL SQUEEE

Great job on the wig, I actually saw you & Zen at WonderCon and though that you two made for really good Deanna & Riker. While not deadringers but definitely enough resemblance that you can tell right away that you're supposed to be Riker & Troi.

I also find that Motions Oil Spray helps with any tangles that happen in long wigs. What's nice is that it keeps the fibers shiny as well.

Looking good!!!!

Definitely a costume that works for you. Great tutorial on the wig as well!

Chris

Love it! Just ordered my first lace front, and will be ordered another for our LotR costumes. I can't wait! I agree with Kearstin...they are definitely bamf!

Counselor Troi was never that we'll built!:lol Looks like you've got the hair sorted out really well. I had to use a lace front wig on my Pamela Anderson bust. The only wig I ever needed for a display fortunately.

My wife and I were searching for Troi costumes tonight together and found yours. That is just awesome. Great wig, awesome costumes! Sorry I was late finding this, but I had to compliment you! My wife sends her compliments too! :thumbsup

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back