"A SENSE OF SCALE": FINALLY a documentary about MOVIE MODEL MAKING !!!

For those who have seen the doc "A Sense of Scale", is it any good?

It looks fantastic but I've been on a losing streak with documentaries for awhile now, so I've put off buying it. It's my birthday tomorrow and one of my buddies wants me to pick out a DVD as a gift and I'm teetering on this one --

SENSE OF SCALE trailer. - YouTube

I searched for the old thread and couldn't find it -

I fell victim to my old post

And was this moved or merged? It does concern film and filmmaking -- so I hope it was left here.

I bought 2 copies and gave 1 as a gift. It was amazing to find out what was constructed , not only in full scale, but in miniature. Also how little time they had to construct the stuff, and what they used. It was a VERY long documentary, but if you watch it in a few sittings, it is well worth watching.

I noticed that at the Fonco store, they have the documentary and a how-to DVD on model miniatures, both of them at the same price. I'm torn, as don't know if I should get the documentary or the how-to DVD first.

I plan to get both. But I can only afford one at a time, which is why I'm trying to figure out which one to get first.

I plan to get both. But I can only afford one at a time, which is why I'm trying to figure out which one to get first.

The professional model building set (it is 2 DVD's) takes you from a writer/director sketch of a space ship to a finished model including how to incorporate and hide mounting points for filming. If that helps you decide.

Sent from my Etch A Sketch.

The professional model building set (it is 2 DVD's) takes you from a writer/director sketch of a space ship to a finished model including how to incorporate and hide mounting points for filming. If that helps you decide.

Does it also cover how to light a model for filming (I don't mean how to wire it up, but light it in front of a green/blue screen and then film it)?

Does it also cover how to light a model for filming (I don't mean how to wire it up, but light it in front of a green/blue screen and then film it)?

I do not remember him showing that, but I watched about a year ago. I will try to remember to check it after work.

So about a week and a half later I finally checked the video. "Introduction to Professional Model Making" does not appear to cover photography except to show making several mounting points on the model for shooting different sides. I put on the last DVD and went to the last chapter "Finishing Up" and he just covered some screw holes and explained that the model you built would probably not be good for heavy photography, I assume because it is only about eight or so inches long. What sucks is that during the titles he shows the model being photographed. Grrrr.

I have had the site for these dvds saved for a while now. I would like to know since these are made overseas, will they play in all dvd players? Sorry if that is a stupid comment, I'm not familiar with region 1,2 etc.

I have had the site for these dvds saved for a while now. I would like to know since these are made overseas, will they play in all dvd players? Sorry if that is a stupid comment, I'm not familiar with region 1,2 etc.
The address on their "Contact" page is a P.O. Box in California, so if you're in the U.S. you should be okay. If you really want to be sure, you could send them an e-mail and ask them directly.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back