Uncharted: Nate Drake Outfits (PIC HEAVY)

I love that shot of Drake. It gives you a good angle of the buckle and the second belt for the pouch. Again, there's no way that it could be going around his waist. Not unless it's supposed to be made from really thin and "floppy" leather and he's got it tucked in behind the buckle and the exposed portion of the belt is just hanging there limp.

The tough thing about creating "real world" outfits based off of video game characters is that the textures and skins used to cover these digital models don't really behave and move in the same manner as their real life counterparts. It's the same thing with cartoon characters....The creators can basically do whatever they want because it doesn't really exist.

For example....IF you're putting an Indiana Jones outfit together all you have to do is go look up the sources the costumers used to put the outfit together. You can find out how exactly they made certain pieces of gear look and hang a certain way. You can find look up tutorials on how to bash your hat to look just like his.

On the other hand when you're putting together an outfit for Nate is a totally different thing and you've got nothing tangible you can put your hands on. This is why a lot of us couldn't really tell what shape the UC2 buckle was because it would bend and stretch when the character moved so depending on the screen capture it would look a certain way. Going by promotional art for the game can be tricky because I've seen quite a few early pieces of art for each game that by the time the game came out the outfit had been changed.

The bottom line is that with this character you can get away with "close enough's" more easily than you can with other characters.

I love that shot of Drake. It gives you a good angle of the buckle and the second belt for the pouch. Again, there's no way that it could be going around his waist. Not unless it's supposed to be made from really thin and "floppy" leather and he's got it tucked in behind the buckle and the exposed portion of the belt is just hanging there limp.

The tough thing about creating "real world" outfits based off of video game characters is that the textures and skins used to cover these digital models don't really behave and move in the same manner as their real life counterparts. It's the same thing with cartoon characters....The creators can basically do whatever they want because it doesn't really exist.

For example....IF you're putting an Indiana Jones outfit together all you have to do is go look up the sources the costumers used to put the outfit together. You can find out how exactly they made certain pieces of gear look and hang a certain way. You can find look up tutorials on how to bash your hat to look just like his.

On the other hand when you're putting together an outfit for Nate is a totally different thing and you've got nothing tangible you can put your hands on. This is why a lot of us couldn't really tell what shape the UC2 buckle was because it would bend and stretch when the character moved so depending on the screen capture it would look a certain way. Going by promotional art for the game can be tricky because I've seen quite a few early pieces of art for each game that by the time the game came out the outfit had been changed.

The bottom line is that with this character you can get away with "close enough's" more easily than you can with other characters.

Leatherworker is right. Matara watch is not accurate. Close enough for most, but not for me!

I can cover why Matara's band is incorrect later, but the in-game watch face is absolutely nowhere close to the style Matara offers. Take a look at the reference watch Naughty Dog used. Then take a look at that same watch that Nathan pick-picketed when he was a boy in Uncharted 3, hanging off his belt. The watch is a Rolex Submariner--a classic, fitting of Drake.

It's too bad in-game lighting makes colors and details all different from angle and scene, but if you're happy with Matara, you're good. I need 99% accuracy, so a Rolex homage will do. Naughty Dog picked a Xanadu homage, I picked an Invicta homage.

In the smallest watch picture I posted (that you reposted) you can see the Rolex cyclopes, dive markers from 12 to 3 o'clock, and the Mercedes hour hand. I couldn't see it at first, then I spend 5 weeks researching watches and now I have a slight obsession. Haha.

You might be able to just swap out watch faces if you want it a little more accurate (if it'll fit). If you want it perfect, you'll have to upgrade the band as well. No one has come anywhere close to what Leatherworker created--the perfect band, down to a custom double buckle!

I love Drake's look, not just for cosplay but for everyday wear. So having an exact match for me is not the biggest deal but I understand the desire for the closest thing possible and the thrill of the hunt for it.

I love Drake's look, not just for cosplay but for everyday wear. So having an exact match for me is not the biggest deal but I understand the desire for the closest thing possible and the thrill of the hunt for it.

Pretty much sums it up for me too. I guess you could say I use Drake's outfit to influence how I dress. Besides, Drake's look is a lot more "fluid" and open to customize than say someone like Indiana Jones.

This is why I brought up UC3 Multiplayer and all the customization going on in it with the characters.

This whole thing with the watch and band is really like "splitting hairs" and the differences are minuscule and not worth debating because other than the person wearing it the rest of the planet isn't going to notice the difference at ALL.

Honestly, these watch bands aren't hard to make on your own and you can put one together for next to nothing including the watch face. There are plenty of "cheaper" close enough faces that can be used. I kinda went the "lazy route" and just bought one. That's not to say I regret buying this watch. This guy does damn good work and it's held up VERY well......Definitely worthy of being an Uncharted watch. ;)

Oh, and I wish people would stop using this site Virtual Fashion: What They’re Wearing In Uncharted 2 | Kotaku Australia as a reference for Nate's UC2 gear. ND provided some "reference shots" but some of the photos don't jive with what's seen in the game. My guess is that some of this stuff was used as a "base" for the outfit and then the artists altered them.

Nate is NOT wearing Converse Jack Parcell's in any of the games. He's wearing a Henley in UC2 but it's not gray. I made the mistake of thinking that for a long time and even justified that by the photo on this site. The buckle is of course from Uncharted 1. Neither the holster Chloe or Nate wears looks ANYTHING like the vertical Galco holster provided in the photo.

The watch face on the site maybe the one used in the game and it may not be. I'm still not totally convinced it is. However, since the watch band can't be seen from all sides it's hard to say if it's exactly the one he wears in the game.

Totally agree with both dwing and Harry. No costume any of us does has to be 100%--it's totally up to each person how close they want to get. I'm pointing out what the actual watch used was to disclaim that the Matara watch isn't the most accurate. Lots of people who read these threads just want a list (which is why I think these types of threads are great) so if you say Matara is most accurate, they'll assume you're right. So let's have the best info available! The Matara band/watch is very nice and you likely won't be disappointed, but if you're going for 100% accuracy, again, he's not the route to follow. That's all. No offense meant.

Check out Uncharted 3 again--the level where Nathan is a boy. TONS of shots of the Rolex Submariner on his belt, with the original oyster band. Expanding on the story, he must've broken the band at some point and switched to the leather band. By the way, the leather band is great for cold climates, where metal touching your skin would hurt. I imagine young Nathan pick-pocketed the Rolex from some tourist, and featured it on his belt as a trophy. Once at thief...

The Submariner is a generational watch, so it'll last all of Nathan's adventures, even deep under water! This is the same watch 007 wears up until the new Bond (who switched to an Omega Submariner homage due to corporate sponsorship). I like how Drake has this association with 007, although the leather band has more character. But unlike 007, Nathan's watch doesn't have lasers.

The problem is though that unless you're going to make your own watch band and buy a face like I mentioned in my last post then the only alternative is to buy a watch from someone like Matara who's watch is not only damn near identical to the game but also built to last.

All of the Leatherworkers stuff is great but he's not a vendor and he's only posting pics of stuff he's made for himself and for us to use as a "guide".....There are plenty of Uncharted fans out there that aren't into the whole "cosplay" thing that want to own pieces of his outfit or might want to dress up as Nate for a party that are looking for links to stuff they can just go and purchase. Probably stuff that isn't going to cost them an arm and a leg either. ;)

So, yeah it's okay to nail down what the character is really wearing and what the correct stuff is but this thread should also give people a lot of choices and quick access to things they can purchase right now. ;)

Hi folks,

I think - if I am allowed to mention - this thread could benefit from avoiding to much discussion about personal philosophy and the addition of a lot more comparisons, alternatives and pictures - although I enjoy these kind of discussion! There are some people paying a lot ("legs and arms") of money/time/effort for a prop because its close as hell to the original and of highest quality. Others buy a "close enough" part from ebay - which may turn out to be half functional and fall apart within a week :)lol don't get me wrong, there are also cheap things of very reasonable quality - I am just kidding!!!!:$). Others go for road capability and everyday usage...

As long as one is happy with it, its perfectly ok - at least for me. Live and let live!

Lets gather all possible alternatives with their advantages/disadvantages/inconsistencies and let everyone decide.

By the way, if someone is interested in some of my stuff, your are welcome to contact me (but keep in mind "leg and arms")...

I've been doing this for quite a long time and I've run into this "attitude" repeatedly over the years where certain people in this hobby have to have everything *exactly* the same as what's seen on the screen...down to the last stitch. Now, I personally have no problem with that at all. However what I do have a problem with is when these people try to "force" their way of thinking onto the rest of the fan base and the proceed to shoot down any alternatives anyone else offers because it's off by a hair. They then proceed to interject themselves into other threads where people have posted photos of their costumes and nitpick the accuracy of the persons outfit to death. They also come up with that they perceive as an "accurate list" of the correct items for the costume and anything that deviates from it is a waste of money and time. Usually the list is for the most expensive items out there as well. I'm not saying that's going on here now but I can see it could head in that direction quickly.

Naughty Dog has not offered up any kind of an "official guide" to replicating Drake's outfit for any of the games. All the fans really have to go by are a few "reference shots", concept art and a LOT of grainy screen caps. Nate's outfit has a lot more "wiggle room" than other costumes out there.....

There are people out there just getting into this and they're going to want help. Asking them what they're looking for and how they're approaching this is important. Offering your advice, personal opinion and philosophy is part of the process.

Just because you spend a ton of money on something doesn't mean the item is actually good either. I've owned more than my share of so called "cheap" products that outlived their more expensive counterparts. A higher price doesn't always mean you're getting a better product. In fact a lot of the time you're just paying for the brand name and nothing more.

Joking or not I wouldn't downplay eBay that much. That site can be a great resource for finding pieces for any costume. That site is like any other store on the planet....low, mid and top quality stuff, you've just got to be careful.

Anyone making prop pieces or gear parts for themselves can claim their stuff is the best but unless it's been put up for sale and it's been reviewed by people that have purchased the piece it's a biased opinion from the prop maker.

As I've said before....If your carrying around airsoft pistols you don't need a holster that's terribly expensive or durable enough to carry a real firearm. I've seen countless Drake's out there with "low cost" home made holsters that look great. I carry a real firearm so none of the in-game holster patterns work for me, they aren't safe.

By the way, on a side note. Leatherworker, if that's a real firearm in the pics with your holster you might want to take it down and edit it. Having the serial number exposed like that could cause you grief down the road. Say if someone wanted to report their gun stolen and give the cops your serial number or take a stolen piece and re-stamp it using your serial number. These maybe urban myths but it's better to be safe than sorry.

Last edited:
I've been doing this for quite a long time and I've run into this "attitude" repeatedly over the years where certain people in this hobby have to have everything *exactly* the same as what's seen on the screen...down to the last stitch. Now, I personally have no problem with that at all. However what I do have a problem with is when these people try to "force" their way of thinking onto the rest of the fan base and the proceed to shoot down any alternatives anyone else offers because it's off by a hair. They then proceed to interject themselves into other threads where people have posted photos of their costumes and nitpick the accuracy of the persons outfit to death. They also come up with that they perceive as an "accurate list" of the correct items for the costume and anything that deviates from it is a waste of money and time. Usually the list is for the most expensive items out there as well. I'm not saying that's going on here now but I can see it could head in that direction quickly.

Naughty Dog has not offered up any kind of an "official guide" to replicating Drake's outfit for any of the games. All the fans really have to go by are a few "reference shots", concept art and a LOT of grainy screen caps. Nate's outfit has a lot more "wiggle room" than other costumes out there.....

There are people out there just getting into this and they're going to want help. Asking them what they're looking for and how they're approaching this is important. Offering your advice, personal opinion and philosophy is part of the process.

Just because you spend a ton of money on something doesn't mean the item is actually good either. I've owned more than my share of so called "cheap" products that outlived their more expensive counterparts. A higher price doesn't always mean you're getting a better product. In fact a lot of the time you're just paying for the brand name and nothing more.

Joking or not I wouldn't downplay eBay that much. That site can be a great resource for finding pieces for any costume. That site is like any other store on the planet....low, mid and top quality stuff, you've just got to be careful.

Anyone making prop pieces or gear parts for themselves can claim their stuff is the best but unless it's been put up for sale and it's been reviewed by people that have purchased the piece it's a biased opinion from the prop maker.

As I've said before....If your carrying around airsoft pistols you don't need a holster that's terribly expensive or durable enough to carry a real firearm. I've seen countless Drake's out there with "low cost" home made holsters that look great. I carry a real firearm so none of the in-game holster patterns work for me, they aren't safe.

By the way, on a side note. Leatherworker, if that's a real firearm in the pics with your holster you might want to take it down and edit it. Having the serial number exposed like that could cause you grief down the road. Say if someone wanted to report their gun stolen and give the cops your serial number or take a stolen piece and re-stamp it using your serial number. These maybe urban myths but it's better to be safe than sorry.

Dear Harry,

I really hope you were not offended by my last comments. Mostly because I am the same opinion that everyone has to find his own way. If you read my words carefully I never ever claimed that my stuff would be better than something else or the only way to go! Its my way of going and I thought people in the forum would be interested in this. If you feel that I have entered your thread unlawfully or with the intention to nitpick something to death I am really sorry. This was never my intention.

By the way, these are all airsoft guns...

Well, I'm glad everyone has agreed that we all just need to post options, not definitive pieces, to the thread. The more, the merrier! Live and let live indeed!:cool:cool:cool:cool

Let's get back to it, shall we?

Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception

Desert Outfit

Shirt:
13544311.jpg

Target, 15 bucks, correct button count, fits well (mine does, anyway), and for the cost, you can't do much better:love
Buy This Shirt Here

Pants:
3.jpg

IGNORE THE SHOT FROM UNCHARTED 2:lolI posted the ingame shot of the pants for this because of the difficulty I've personally had in finding these particular pants. Khakis with cargo pockets, sure, easy. Khakis with cargo pockets AND that distinct stitching pattern in the front down to the pockets?:eek
Close enough option:
on633497-00vliv01.jpg

Buy These Pants Here

Buckle:
51ymzeAUx1L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Same as with UDF, it's THE buckle. Buy This Buckle Here

Boots:
41muxMnp4UL._SS400_.jpg

$22 for desert boots!? I'm in! This is the close enough option, as with the pants for this outfit, figuring out the EXACT boots is a bit tricky. Buy These Boots Here

Shemagh/Keffiyeh (Scarf):
61P3Gl1XRRL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Drake's is a white and blue pattern, although it is a very pale and muted blue. This one, from Amazon, is $8.50, and has the pale blue color. Looks good.:thumbsupBuy This Scarf Here

NOTE- IF YOU WANT THE EXACT UNCHARTED LEATHER ACCESSORY, CONTACT LEATHERWORKER. OTHERWISE, IT'S GOING TO BE A "CLOSE ENOUGH" OPTION.

Bandolier:
4174NnUwXML._SS400_.jpg

No need to mention this isn't EXACT. As before, the precise bandolier is a Leatherworker thing. Buy This Bandolier Here

Holster:
11763-uncharted-3-holster-backview.jpg

Yup. You guessed it. Leatherworker. (y)thumbsup
Now, since this particular holster is EXTREMELY ornate, it's going to be difficult to find a good looking replacement. But, hey, with the bandolier and all, I'm sure any dark brown leather holster would be "good enough".

As for the watch and necklace....yup! You guessed it! Get your gear from Uncharted 2, and you're good to go!

A) I'm not offended or upset with anything. B) This is everyone's thread and C) From what I've seen of your stuff Leatherworker it does look top notch. However, until it's in someone elses hands and has been put through it's paces it remains your own biased opinion that what you've made is durable. That's not a slam or anything against you it's just common sense and it applies to anyone else.

"I'm not saying that's going on here now but I can see it could head in that direction quickly."

The thread's purpose is to put forth ideas and offer options for someone looking to put together a Drake outfit, be it whatever one they choose. My fear is that I see this heading in a direction that could eventually end up alienating a lot of people because people have decided early on this has to be a certain way because we say so and anything else offered is looked down upon. I've had friends who were excellent cosplayers quit doing what they love because of attitudes like that. I've been on sites where people appointed themselves "experts" on certain costumes and then proceeded to make other people's lives a living Hell because they had to point out every little thing wrong with other people's costumes.

Again, I'm not saying ANYONE in this thread is doing that now but I fear it could happen down the line as the thread grows and more people join in the discussion.

I also don't want people with limited funds and resources being turned off by trying to put together an outfit like this because Nate's outfits do NOT require you to break your bank account in order to achieve the look. In fact all of his outfits can be put together for a very reasonable price.

For an example of what I'm talking about....I remember reading somewhere that Diesel jeans were used by ND as reference for the ones he wore in Uncharted 2. IF that's true that still doesn't mean you've got to go spend over $100 for a pair of jeans to look like Nate. Yet, I know eventually someone is going to come along and give someone else grief because they aren't wearing Diesel jeans with their UC2 gear, if indeed ND did use those jeans as a reference. I just find that type of behavior rude and silly.

Again, I AM NOT saying that's going on now but it's what I fear this thread could become.

Last edited:
Trent, those desert boots are a good price and look pretty good. I've had some bad personal experiences with buying cheaper boots, mainly they end up being very uncomfortable. This is one of those pieces of gear I'd suggest people maybe invest some money into, especially if you're going to be on your feet a lot.

Here are the boots I plan on buying. No, they're probably not exactly what he wears in UC3 but I had a friend that owned a pair in black and he was in the reserves and loved them. They've gotten a lot of good reviews and they've seen action overseas.....You can get these with or without the side zip. Given the pants cover most of the boot anyway I'm getting the side zip.

Men's Original SWAT Classic 9" CT SZ @ BDU.COM

Men's Original SWAT Classic 9" @ BDU.COM

By the way these are the current boots I own that I bought for my UC3 outfit and they SUCK! Avoid these like the plague. I only wish I had known before hand or I wouldn't have wasted my money on them. Again, this is why it's not always wise to go cheap with shoes.

http://www.target.com/p/Men-s-Merona-Ryker-Workboot-Wheat/-/A-13764043#?lnk=sc_qi_detaillink

Last edited:
Oh, and the cargo pants Trent posted from Old Navy. I just bought a pair of those a while back. They're really nice and comfortable. Not only do they look the part they just feel great to wear.

I own a pair of "close enough" pants.. can't recall where I got them.
I just found a pair that seems to have the stitching but is out of stock and is priced a little higher than would be liked.
http://www.overstock.com/Clothing-S...s-Mens-Khaki-Cargo-Pants/2549579/product.html
Mind you, since they're out of stock and it's overstock.com, you're not likely to be able to buy them here but it may be a good starting place (or not, I found them via google images and there are probably better options out there).

Well, I'm in the middle of putting together a Nathan Drake costume myself.
I agree that it is a amazing look for casual wear as well. I've been thinking of either doing the look from UC2 or 3 I love them both.

Great imput. I enjoy seeing people making the 99% accurate(trying to copy a game is hard to get perfect right?). I will live through you until I win the lottery, then it's on. :) I found a company called 'make your own jeans' and have heard good things about them. They also do shirts, suits and for the guy that needs really low rise jeans-low rise jeans. I was thinking of contacting them to make the carge pants.

Here are a few of mine:
294233_213012205418691_100001297386700_521932_1271123_n.jpg

313563_213012318752013_100001297386700_521934_2965523_n.jpg

302316_282387558443114_229048873776983_1410587_8322236_n.jpg

Belt buckle is the basic shape, but nothing on it, purchased from the Vic Markets in melbourne. (I've got the special edition buckle just haven't switched them yet)

The watch was from the same market (I've since got a much better watch, and a perfectly accurate band to go with it, from Paddys market in sydney)

Shirt was from Target, about $15.
The holster was a cheap(ish) one I got on ebay
Jeans from Jay jays (I think)
The scarf which happened to be pretty close to the one from the UC 3 trailer happened to belong to my housemate who took these photos.

Its a bit of a jumble of UC2 and 3, but its been improved on a bit since then, and my new dagger will improve it even more so :p

Scarf is hanging on the wrong side, Costume=fail. JUST KIDDING! Looks good. I need to hit Target for a henley if my wife will let me-only do to the fact that I bought 4 green henleys on the net trying to get the right one. She said I need to resale some first :). Is the ring from shipway?

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back