Cthulhu Idol Build

Outstanding.

I have to say, man, the whole package with this is approaching 'Apple' standards of product design. Congratulations.

Hey Nick! Received mine in the mail today (Saturday March 15). Beware the Ides of March, indeed! All I can really say is "Wow". So totally blown away by it. Box, packaging, book - and then the main course of amazing, the statue itself. Just wow...

Brent Collins

The production line is in full effect!
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1395127208.342887.jpg

Nick,

I just rec'd #7. It is every bit as awesome as it appeared to be from all the pics you've posted! Even after getting previews of the box, the bag, and book, the unboxing was a kick. The subtle "dust/dirt" effect is so good, I keep finding myself reflexively trying to wipe a bit of it away as I handle the idol. Even the wooden base is top notch.

I stumbled on your idol project via a relatively recent post in Propnomicon...and was coincidentally looking for a "perfect" Cthulhu idol at that time. Thank you for the postings of your OCD journey through the creation of the idol from conception to execution. It makes owning one a richer/deeper experience.

Thanks again for not making this a one-off project, but rather willing to put in the tremendous time and effort to make a number of these available to others -- particular others like me, who have very little artistic talent when it comes to a sculpting/molding/painting/etc/etc project like this!

--Brahm

Thanks, man! Glad to hear it made it safely!

Your appreciation of the little elements means a lot to me! I was kinda stresing over whether people would like the faux dirt. I thought it came out pretty effective too. Keeps it from looking like a statue you would buy at the comic shop, ya know. It takes a little more time and effort to get it looking good but it's worth it. Ancient and gritty is the name of the game.

I got mine today as well, and holy crap its amazing. Pictures really don't do this thing justice. The fake dirt, the subtle greens, its just amazing. The box and book are just the icing on top. WELL worth the price.

Number "8" sat untouched on my front door for an hour until I had the courage to open it yesterday afternoon. What a fun unboxing - I took my time. So, I agree with the other comments, but, let me add this: I am pretty sure that Nick oxidized or dyed the excelsior wood shaving packing material. How is that for polish? The printed box was very clever and professional. Awesome.

I'm impressed! I did in fact spring for the darker dyed excelsior. It's a little more expensive but it made it look a little less "craft store" looking.

I will say that that stuff was a little messier than I had expected.

Mine (#11) arrived today in perfect condition. Just such a labor of love, top to bottom. I am speechless. It will assume a place of honor in my collection.

Last edited:
The next batch of 6 was almost ready to go when I noticed that I was having problems with the resin weeping through the paint. I think I've got the problem figured out though. Next batch should go out tomorrow or the next day.

I wish. It was heart breaking to to sand off all that carefully layered paint to try and figure out what was going on.

The weeping was only happening on the bottom were the Smooth On 320 was exposed. The main beauty coat of Onyx Fast has always come out fine.

I the next batch of 5 after that batch seem to be okay though. Weird.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back