Cthulhu Idol Build

Hi i nick i was wondering did you make the boxes by hand or design them and send them to a company to be produced?if so what company thanks :)

I simply bought the boxes from Uline.com, measured out the dimensions it while it was still unfolded and created the graphics by hand and in Adobe illustrator and photoshop. I go through the process a little bit earlier in this thread.

A friend of mine with a screenprint shop printed the graphics onto the flat cardboard. It was a little tricky since they had never printed onto something that thick and "un-rectangular" before but it worked out pretty good.

Please keep us up-to-date on how the casting & finishing is going :)

Will do! I just started back onto the project today in fact. Sanding and staining bases was the on the menu today!

I had originally started using a "Pre Stain Wood Conditioner" before doing the staining process but the I really didn't like the effect it was giving me. It made the stain penetrate the wood TOO deeply and it was difficult to get the dark Espresso tone that I wanted to achieve. On my first test base I didn't use a conditioner and much prefered those results so I've gone back to that methodology.

I also figured out a good series of sandpaper grits to get a smooth finish in the least amount of steps.

That was the last bit of experimenting to figure out with this project. I believe I've pretty much got all my processes down now.

Fun, stinky, dusty stuff.

So much sanding

So much felt.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1393198528.092170.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1393198563.977869.jpg

Sorry for the wait. Kids got sick. Then I did. Things are going well none the less.

Updates!

Bases are finished as of a few days ago-

View attachment 294828

View attachment 294829

Bags are stamped and ready-
View attachment 294830

Boxes are folded-

View attachment 294831

And 11 resin castings at various stages of completion-

View attachment 294836

I think the first 14 will go out on Monday.

The second 14 will probably go out the next Monday.

Going smoothly so far. I'll keep you guys updated as it progresses!

Last edited:
Also a glimpse into the OCD madness of developing my "perfect finish"

13001341653_cb7be5bb96_b.jpg

I ended up going with the Rustoleum Matte finish but of course I had to make it a litle tougher on myself by giving a light buffing to all the high spots of the statue to give it that slightly worn/handled stone look. A subtle effect but I really dig it.

Really, has there ever been a run like this?

Nick's work here has raised the bar for passion, perfectionism and professionalism beyond anything in my experience.

At the risk of running alliteration into the ground, here is one more P word: price. More than fair.

We are lucky to have you here, Nick!

Thanks, man! I just wanted to make sure they went into people's hands and not just sit around unsold. Happy to spread the passion.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back