I need some materials advice.

barriboy

I've been lurking for a while now, but this is my first post. I am quite interested in making an x-wing pilot costume for halloween. Last year I was a ghostbuster, and my project would have been considerably easier if I had known that this forum existed.

I had considered using a kit for the helmet, but decided I wanted a much weightier, more realistic feel to it, so I just ordered an APH-6 from ebay. Not sure if it's a B or a C, but it has the full ramshorn, so it will work. I'm not going to worry about making it screen accurate, as I'm going to leave the visor knobs and tracks in place and preserve the original clear and smoked lenses. Other than that, however, I want it to be as accurate as possible.

OK, I'm very new to making props, so I don't really know what kind of materials to use for creating to mohawk. I was thinking of using some sort of rigid cardstock as a base, then going over it with filler compound or something.

Looking at the craft stores, I've found a whole bunch of clear plastic sheeting (mylar I believe) but it doesn't seem rigid enough. Perhaps I can use that and then go over it with compound or bondo or something and hope that when cured it will be strong enough. However, I'm not sure if compound will bond to the plastic.

If any of that sounds like a bad idea, it's because I've never used bondo or filler compound before, and only know what I've read online.

I see that a lot of the kits use styrene, but I would like to avoid that given its potential as a carcinogen. I also see that richies armor recommends buying a don post helmet and casting off a mohawk from that, but given that I won't be using the visor or the chin cup, and those helmets seem to be going for $80+, that seems like a real waste of money.

If anyone has any ideas, or has done something similar, please let me know. I would like it to be more or less waterproof if possible, in the off chance that it rains on halloween night, but that is a bonus and not a requirement. Thanks!

Cheers,
barriboy

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back