Original Hoggle restoration

How do these guys get these jobs?

Was he the low bidder?

I find it curious the Henson shop didn't do the job.

This place is in a smaller town in Alabama. They deal in items left in Baggage. They get a rubber Doll with a bunch of machinery in it. It's in bad shape. Someone's Cousin is a "Doll Guy." He fixes it. He does what he does to Dolls. To a doll it might work, to this it was a disaster.

No real mystery other than how does a Store that sells Salvage, located in a rural town not know about a small, fierce hobby concerned with Prop Collecting? Crazy that, how dare them.

I have an idea that they're tickled with the job he did, because they don't care about the accuracy - they just wanted him fixed to display.

Laffo.

Poor Hoggle. I love that movie and this guy murdered him. But I agree the Hoggle in a car wrecke look was kinda cool.

This makes me really sad, as I had heard that a lot of other Labyrinth puppets had rotted away as well. Neil Gaiman had posted something ages ago about being at the old Henson home while working on a book, and seeing some them sitting around. Whenever they were picked up, they basically fell apart. I had written and asked about having them restored, and his response was that they were beyond repair. That was before I found this place. Now I wonder...

I'm sorry, but that was damn funny, despite the sad fact of the restoration.

yes, that was very funny:lol

anyway. I feel sad when I see what happended to Hoggle.
I wish I could have done that job.
The stoy that I see in that Hoggle project reminds me of work that an old "master"-charlatan did at the animatronic company I was working for in the 90´s. Anyhow: he alwys could manage it making peole belief he can do it - and always messed up. But -as a "master"-charlatan - he had millions of words for the situations to make people def and blind.
I´m afraid that´s what happened here as well:wacko - or why had a guy like this the chance to resore him:cry

Laffo got it absolutely, 100% correct.

Other than this piece, I've seen a lot of the other Labyrinth pieces (Sir Didymus, door knockers, door guards, "helping hands,") that are all in excellent shape, and still owned by the Henson Company.

Now then, why didn't the Henson Company restore Hoggle? Either they didn't know about it, or they just didn't care. My guess is that they probably were aware of it being down there, but they just didn't care about investing the time or the money into obtaining it and restoring it. I mean, if a company really cared about a piece of their property, do you think they'd let it sit around in a salvage store for as long as it has? Besides, if Henson had restored it, they would have restored it to keep, which is not what Unclaimed Baggage wanted. They wanted to be able to put it in their little museum and claim that they owned Hoggle. So, the only way to achieve this goal is exactly how Laffo described it.

To Henson it was just another puppet, something of which they have thousands.

And honestly, do we really think that this is the only Hoggle in existence?

I don't.

No need for worries, guys. I'm sure there's a pristine (albeit a little aged) Hoggle out there somewhere.

-Andy

Love labyrinth and seeing what has become of hoggle is very sad.

I can't believe the guy actually looked at the finished piece and thought he'd done a good job! i'm stunned at his apparent ignorance for the subject matter.

maybe he watched team america for a "how to" guide!

ferragamo_bag_1.jpg

Haha - what an abomination. The original was modelled on Spike Milligan but this 'rebuild' looks like Shrek's bloated corpse...

This 'Sowatska' guy should be forced to endure facial reconstructive surgery done by a guy who repairs shoes.

That is absolutely awful. Did the man even LOOK at the image of Hoggle he has at the top of the page?

Wow. What a shame. I wonder if the new "owners" would be willing to let someone undo that atrocity and rebuild it properly?

-Gordon

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back