Original Hoggle restoration

What would impress the living bejesus outta me would be if Wampa could restore the restore. :p

Tom? ;)

OMFG, I've been trying to get Henson studios and even Lucasfilm to take even one glance at the Hoggle at Unclaimed Baggage and have even tried convincing them to try and get it back. I live about 40 mins away from UB and have seen Hoggle many times from the beginning when they got it and it didn't look so bad to more recently when it was seriously falling apart but I haven't seen it since this restoration. My dreams of seeing the original Hoggle have now once and for all been dashed to pieces. Whatever urge I had before to see this thing somewhere other than Scottsboro has simply left. It truly is a sad day.

*Email of complaint to UB about to be fired off.*

Ryu

This is one topic I wished I never looked at... I cannot believe that Henson Studios didn't have a hand in restoring him or trying to reclaim him.

Wouldn't they have the original molds still? It might be worth investigating as they're based over here in the UK. :)

cyb.

How do you call destroying the original and resculpting it a "restoration"?

I would think that he did not restore anything. He made his own hoggle with the original.

It's like me stripping the paint off the Mona Lisa in my "resotration" and repainting it completly with "new fresh paint that will last" still using the original mat and frame.

Totally bogus.

I'm not a fan of the film but I clicked in here to see what in the heck a "Hoggle" was.

Oy.

I respect the effort but the result leaves much to be desired.

I agree with people here.. Nice attempt but he didn't restore it..he redid it... Go look at Tom Spina's work or Kelly Mann's and there's some impressive restoration.

I almost threw up. Jeezuz. People who are out of their league should recognize it and pass when presented with jobs like this. It's a historical piece of film history and should have been handled by someone with experience. This guy's field is restoring porcelin dolls. Not a good effort, he's a fool.

I wouldn't take a job restoring a priceless antique porsche. I don't work in cars.

His site shows a picture of this:
H_movieHOGGLE.jpg

And then at the bottom of the page this:
H_hoggleHANDS3.jpg

Oh... he's good. :angry

when i saw the title i thought... hey another wampa save.

then i saw the OP wasnt wampa...

then...

:eek:

LAME... :thumbsdown :thumbsdown :cry

why.?.?

if Tom coulda gotten ahold of that... this is one of those rare times when i wish more people knew about the RPF and the talent here. :(

Since he completely resculpted it himself anyway...
His approach should have been to use the original as a reference only, resculpted the head and hands copied the costume and created a display "doll" to go in the case with the original untouched piece.

Steven

I realize there is nothing one can do to put life back into deterriorating 3 and 4 part cooked foams BUT...

This is terrible.

How could he have studdied any screen caps or other reference photos and come up with a smooth hairless face?

The portions of the original cooked foam face easily gave him a perfect reference for texture, wrinkle formation etc. He could have used the Silicone Inc's silicone based life cast system and at least gotten accurate molds of some of the intact surface sections.

He used foam backed cloth, probably like automotive headliner. Which means 10-15 years down the road its gonna be rotted again.

The resulpt should have been done with silicone as the end product and it would have lasted eons.

Every SPFX artist is agonizing right now. Hope Wampa doesn't see this thread.

That's a terrible job, only Wampa could have done the restoration justice.. :thumbsup

Their first mistake was not having Wampa Do it.

That sucks, but at least he tried.

The real injustice here is what is fast becoming a lost art. These days, movies wouldn't think twice about making an animatronic character, they'd just funnel it through CGI. :angry

You can't touch or feel it or collect it. Which do you like more?

Looking at the real live model of the enterprise or seeing the computer image?

Tek

I've got to disargree, this would be no different than say one managed to get their hands on the original ANH Falcon, stripped it of all it's parts, added any old parts, and then painted it any old way.

That sucks, but at least he tried.

The real injustice here is what is fast becoming a lost art. These days, movies wouldn't think twice about making an animatronic character, they'd just funnel it through CGI. :angry
[/b]

~ Edit ~ Sorry for the thread ressurection bump, research fail, I should have read all the links, I wasn't aware that this was common knowledge. Whelp I'll leave the links to Hoggle's new home for anyone interested.

A friend of mine went down to Unclaimed Baggage, it's the national repository for lost luggage where you can buy people's lost stuff, it is actually really fun to go sifting through, anyhow..... He was telling me that he saw the original Hoggle animatronic "puppet" on display there, at Unclaimed Baggage.

Here is a link to their site, http://www.unclaimedbaggage.com/ if you search Hoggle and Unclaimed Baggage you'll find a couple travel articles referencing the display. Is this what happened to the restored model, it was written off as a "Lost shipment" for insurance?

Heck there is a link to a picture on their site, click on the May I help you unpack link on interesting stuff, it has a picture of him. http://www.unclaimedbaggage.com/interestingstuff.html

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back