Different kinds of clay?

Solochaser

Hey gang,

Curious if anyone can offer their suggestion on what to use for sculpting small pieces to large pieces. Ideally I would sculpt it,let it air dry and paint.

Thanks in advance.

Use Epoxy putty's like Aves or Magic Sculpt.
They are a 2 part mix that gives you about 15-20 minutes and can be smoothed with water before they cure.

Thank you for that info. I'm assuming magic sculpt is for small objects. how about big sculpts? like an actors face bust? what do people use?..are those air dry clay?

Many of the figure sculptors use Magic Sculpt or Aves.
There is usually a wire and foil skeleton that the epoxy is sculpted over.

Are you sculpting a full head or just modifying one?

You can get large tugs of epoxy putty's if you're adding to a sculpt.
If you are doing a full head to make a mold of most pro's use WED clay which is water based and you don't want it to dry out or others use a non sulfur oil based clay like Chavant. (sp)

You might want to do some reading over on the Effects Lab forum or if it's for smaller scale then The Clubhouse has a section ob sculpting

Thanks for the info. I'm planning on making a an alien egg out of a plastic 12 inch easter egg...and wanted to make other objects to cast. For example helmets and busts. i'll check out those links.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back