Costume Storage

JnAStudios

A question occurred to me: how do most people store their costumes?

I've seen pictures of Spider-Man outfits hanging in a closet but beyond that, not much.

Where does one store an Iron Man costume? Or any other bulky/complex costume? Can't really fold it and place it in a drawer.

Most of my costumes, so far, are piecemeal and components are hanging from a hook, in boxes and/or laying around. I've gone as far as cobbling together wooden "L" brackets with foam heads on them to display/store some masks and wigs.

So how do you all store your creations?

mine are easy enough to throw onto a hanger. other people seem to use mannequins and such, like for IM sets.

Rubber maid storage bins for my suits with custom foam lining and my helmets are on display on boutique felt heads.

Rubbermaid tubs are indeed, your friend! To store easily breakable/delicate components of a costume, this is the best way to go. It's also good for traveling, as long as the lid is secure.

For fabric pieces, when they're not being worn, they're either in a garment bag or a Space Bag.

Hang-able soft parts are in the guest bedroom closet. Large pieces that can't be hung reside in large Rubbermaid tubs. Each hanging costume has a smaller plastic bin devoted to it. This holds shoes, belts, accessories, etc. Attached to the lid of each box is a list of all the costume components required - including underwear, makeup, toupee tape, spriit gum, etc. Makes packing for a convention a breeze.

Thanks Rikarus for the shout out...
How are those Hardigg Containers working for you?

If anyone else is interested and wants to upgrade from your Cardboard boxes & Rubber maid Containers to more Secure, Lockable, Stackable, Weather & Bug Proof containers with Foam Inserts.

I have a Sale Thread in the Junkyard.. (Hardigg Cases)

By the way this is how I store my Trek Uniforms & Props.... :)

hardigg1.jpg

Last edited:
I used to have all my fabric and hard parts in a medium sized cabinet next to the bed, but unfortunately this apartment was built by morons, so one day I noticed that a dripping pipe inside the cabinet had made mold on all my fabric parts. Later the cabinet was cleaned out and the pipe was fixed, then I mounted a 3 meter long fiberglass rod from one side of the room to the other where I hang all my costume fabric parts neatly for display on the one side of the rod and hang my regular clothes on the other side. Other than that, I have most of the armor parts inside the cabinet again and the helmets on display here and there in the apartment.

DSCN0498_edited.jpg

DSCN0508_edited.jpg

The green one is and flat black one are used mostly for trasport from event to event, but all my costumes fit on all 4. they are all EDAK cases, 3 wooden, 1 aluminium.

I got a few of these from lowe's, They are stackable and I lined them with foam and they lock with a heavy lock. Your costume is very safe in this, plus I can fit my entire Boba Fett with room to spare and it fits in the back seat of a compact car.

Shop CONTICO Pro Tuff Bin at Lowes.com

I have a dedicated closet for the hanging bits and I am not good about storing the rest, kinda bundled up at the top or bottom of the closet. My fiance is not happy about it at all. I need to do a better job of storing them.

I used to just have a dedicated closet in a spare bedroom but then I outgrew that...then it eventually moved to my basement in bins. I did not like all of my fabrics, supplies, and costumes down there for fear of the basement leaking. So finally I got my own "costume storage". ^^

costumestorage.jpg

This is crappy cell picture but you get the idea. I got a climate controlled storage space locally and have organized everything into bins...Fabric bins stacked on the sides, costumes and accessories on one side, then notions/supplies on the other. It works great and I know what I have, so I don't go buying all the same stuff again....plus plenty of space to grow into! ^^ And my costumes are easy to get to for trooping, parties, cons, or whatnot.

Bumping my Hardigg/Pelican Case Sale thread.

hardigg19.jpg

I have many in all sizes.
Mostly White & a few in Green, But can be painted to suit needs.(By You)

All Previously used by U.S. Military to ship and protect Millions of Dollars worth of Government equipment.
Hard & Durable ABS Plastic w/removable Foam inserts.

Military_Storage_Container_White_Small_Photo2.jpg

Stackable, Air & Water Tight, Bug/Insect Proof, Floats in a flood, Stainless Steel Locking Clamps, Carry Handles, Pressure Release Valve, Rubber Gasket Sealed & Paint-able.

Great for Clothing/Uniform Storage, Important Papers, Props Storage, Traveling.

Check out my Sale Thread in the Junkyard: Hardigg/Pelican Cases
Great Prices, Half the Price than found on EBay.

Did I mention these are as the same Used in Starship Troopers, Avatar, Many other Movies & my favorite Star Trek.

Star Trek 'Enterprise'
03c41b4eefe4c7b70281fcf47dc8c108.jpg

Star Trek Insurrection (Picard in Captains Yacht)
insurrection0544.jpg

insurrectionhd1084.jpg

insurrectionhd1086.jpg

U.S. Only, May Consider U.K. & Europe.

Thanks.....Jeremiah

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back