Gold Leader Y wing, NiceN kit conversion.

ralphee

Sr Member
OK, its embryonic, but i thought id nail a thread up now, as im almost done with the Probe Droid legs, and this will be MY next project to finish.

Im converting the Nice N Red Jammer, into a TIE killer, why, because im pretty warped in the head, and, you guys know i love to tinker.

This build will have, complete new engine patterns, a rework (not rebuild) of the cockpit module, and corrected details on the main hull and wings.

Quite a lot to do, and some may ask why, seeing as Steve and crew are to release this bird........my Jammer was a gift, im not going to sell it to fund another, ive NO plans to collect Y wings lol, and lastly, i think ill be way happier using real parts for the engines......although Mike did a great job, im still not too happy with resin cans TBH.

So there ya have it, itll be another long winded overblown thread of shaving, casting, cutting, and general mess, but, a bit of fun, and where is the fun in building OOB these days?

Id like to just thank a very, very good friend and gifted member here, for helping me make this project happen......you know who you are...merci.

bests.......lee

Bit of casting after work on Friday.
TIEkillerconversion008.jpg

TIEkillerconversion011.jpg

Some dry fitting, engines are just place holders from the kit!
TIEkillerconversion012.jpg

Wing plant on castings, came out like a dream with Easyflo 60.
TIEkillerconversion006.jpg

Last edited:
Re: TIE Killer Y wing, a conversion!

Oh Lee,
what a cool project !
I will watch this build up with great interest :thumbsup

What a cool project! :) I know the Jammer head is different from the Gold Ys, but is the general shape of the t-shaped fuselage the same?

Dan, in this thread, who cares, its a Y wing hull right? I think the hulls may have been cast from the Jammer, not sure, but its what im using, lets live a little eh?

Lee

Go for it, man! Nice pics...(they show up the chipped wallpaper real nice too - gives me a pang for the home country, lol...)

Go for it, man! Nice pics...(they show up the chipped wallpaper real nice too - gives me a pang for the home country, lol...)

Steve my man, ill go as far as to send you a swatch :lol. Cheers bud, cant say ill be able to nail every aspect of this Y, but im gonna give it one hell of a go, and come out the other end with somethin' pretty......i hope lol.
Just love the paint on this bird, its so haphazard, downright shoddy, gives it a lot of charm.
Got a bit of PD arm work in the AM, then i may sit and start cutting my Saturn V donors.

lee

This will be interesting Lee, sort of reverse-engineering mate.
She's going to be a stunner when your'e through with her, nice one:)
Stu

Steve my man, ill go as far as to send you a swatch :lol. Cheers bud, cant say ill be able to nail every aspect of this Y, but im gonna give it one hell of a go, and come out the other end with somethin' pretty......i hope lol.
Just love the paint on this bird, its so haphazard, downright shoddy, gives it a lot of charm.
Got a bit of PD arm work in the AM, then i may sit and start cutting my Saturn V donors.

lee

Nah, yer all right, thanks... you keep the swatch, lol.

Btw, what's PD arm work?

Thanks Julien, ill be pulling the rest soon, easyflo resin works so well its much better than the Alumilite.
Im pouring the engine plant on direct, through a small funnel, works really well.

Oh, wasnt going to go this far but, anybody got a pair of L'eggs i can bum?
I dont fancy crossdressing just yet, but thought i could use the packaging on the new engine patterns.

Lee

Kinda forgot about his one, but took a spare 30 mins to start shaving off all the raised panels, a few left to do, then im going to smooth it all out, rescribe and re panel as per the Gold Leader model.
Now ive broke the back on the Snowspeeder with wht limited time i get to work......plan on having this as a WIP for the November prop meet.

lee
Ycockpit.png

Cheers bud, just easy shaving with a razor blade. TIE killer, means im taking the NiceN Red Jammer, and making a close copy of the TIE killer/Gold leader Y wing.
It wont be 100% to the mark, im not aiming for that, just having some fun.

lee

Cheers Jerry, it may not end up as accurate as the actual planned kit release, but, with all the work to put the wonky engine cans right with OE kit parts, thought id put a bit more effort in.

Here is my clean slate for the cockpit (lil bit more polishing to do), took some work to get this nice, seems the master pattern was way wonky and kooky, so a fair bit of putty to put the dips right, and all raised panels and scribing removed.

Hopefully get to scribe it tomorrow, may as well finish this modeule fully, then move on to those styrene engines and hull, with more mod work on the way.

I just really want to paint this bird, to me it has the most attractive paint/weather work of all the Y's, really slap dash, but very colorful and effective.

bests........lee
untitled-4.png

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back