Obi Wan Saber Parts Parks/CUstom Saber Shop?

thd9791

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hey, browsing around i bumped into Park's and the custom saber shop's saber parts sitae. I never knew they had pieces on there that look like decent replicas of sink knobs and the booster......are these places i should avoid? I've heard a lot of horror stories, what's their deal now?

I hope you didn't hear horror stories about the custom saber shop because they're fantastic. you can check out their forums for more info and a whole community of support.

I can't speak with any authority on Parks. I too have heard some mixed things, but I've never ordered.

Ah let me rephrase, I heard horror stories about parks, and was worried that sites for parts like that were too good to be true. I understand buying a whole "Obi wan" style saber from the custom saber shop isn't very accurate, but has anyone used a pommel or booster from them? What did you think? (and how did you incorporate that into the rest of your saber since most things seem to screw together from them..)

The Parks pommel is molded as one piece in metal. It's based off of the modern, larger AS handwheel; it slides onto one end of their booster/"radiator" pipe and attaches with a set screw. The other end of the booster pipe slides underneath a Graflex clamp but leaves just enough space for a grenade to fit in there too.

Just note, you could probably snag a real (modern) AS handwheel for less than what Parks charges for their replica.

thank you Serenity!

I was mostly talking about the booster section, planning on a hardware-ish saber and starting to find replica parts that don't rape my wallet. Thank you! I have to be careful and not buy up everything replica, wheres the fun in that!

You're welcome! Also of note, the Parks booster pipe is around 4.5" long. It's hollow all the way through, which might help if you decide to put electronics or sound in it.

Good idea :)

Has anyone used the Custom Saber Shop's booster or any parts on a custom saber? (aka parts other than CSS) ?

Here's the same kind of booster section that is in my very first purchased Obi-Wan lightsaber years ago,
which turned out to be a Parks when roaming the lightsaber-threads here . . . and I still like it eventhough
my almost real parts ANH is becoming a reality ... sooner rather then later . . . I hope :)

ParksBoosterGear.jpg

-Chaim

No and no.

The first link is to the currently available electronic Obi ROTS, which is just horrible. About the only thing worth while about it might be the sound board, and maybe not even that.

The second link is to the electronic Obi ROTS that was released around the time of Ep III. I've used it a few times for DIY sabers. The forward grip/grenade, activation band/clamp, and rear grip/booster are about all that's useful. The neck/windvane and emitter are ridiculously oversized, and basically useless. The pommel has a door to load the batteries, and is also useless as a result.

I should add, while the parts are okay visually, they are signifiicantly larger in diameter than the ROTS saber they're supposed to be (1.25"), and even bigger than the Obi ANH (1.5"). The activation band/clamp section is about the same outside diameter as a 1" PVC coupling which, as you already know, is too big to fit inside an actual Graflex clamp.

The best bet is to fabricate a custom oversized clamp out of sheet metal. It's what I did. The only other problem is they're only available on the second hand market. Whenever I see one in the local thrift shops, I usually grab it. I think I've got three or four just waiting to be converted.

Another possible option would be the newish Obi ROTS basic saber (with the flick out blade). I've purchased one myself for the possibilty of creating an Obi ROTS saber with Ultimate FX elctronics and blade (maybe). The only problem is the emitter, neck windvane, and forward grip are slightly oversized, while the activation band, rear grip, and pommel are slightly undersized.

There just doesn't seem to be any easy way to create the Obi ANH or ROTS hardware style, is there?

Last edited:
No and no.

There just doesn't seem to be any easy way to create the Obi ANH or ROTS hardware style, is there?

:lol apparently not. That's okay, that's all the fun of it!

I have to put up pictures, I have a copper pipe and a expanding fitting over it. (kinda like the thing in the middle but less http://pic5.picturetrail.com/VOL92/797386/8934777/127245548.jpg) That larger diameter, taped up fits snugly in my new emitter. The radial bearing also slides on the bottom of that fitting with a layer of tape or two and it looks great!

The best things I've seen are your pieces, and Big Yellow Box's version of the grenade/windvane - though I would have found a way to remove all that crap on the neck.

Someone I saw did the same thing, except glued another copper nozzle/adapter thing for the top of the neck. Looked pretty great for a hardware saber. Hardware obi wan lightsaber image by Zombie_61 on Photobucket

I actually found real transistors at work that I have to find a way to snag

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back