WWI Vampire/Bat Creature Sculpt-WIP

BornKilr

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
This is a costume I'm working on for this year's DragonCon in Atlanta. I'm sculpting vampire/bat creature facial appliances (loosely based on the look of the creature from the "Bram Stoker's Dracula".) Its for a WW1 German Vampire soldier from the comic "Baltimore: The Plague Ships" graphic novel.
I've already completed one of the props I'll be carrying, seen in this thread:http://www.therpf.com/f9/maxim-08-15-machine-gun-wwi-wip-139690/. I'm also making my own pickelhaube helmet with boiled lether that I'll post pics of.
But here is the start of the sculpt.
attachment.php

This is the chin piece started on my half head cast. I know this isn't the best way to do this, but long before I knew what Alcote was, I had already sealed my life casts, so I can no longer float the clay off.
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

These are the main face appliance roughed in.
attachment.php

attachment.php

Here I put in a dummy ear just to check the look. I have to recast my ears before I can sculpt those pieces.

attachment.php

This is a shot of my dungeon workspace.

Last edited:
Re: Vampire/Bat Creature Sculpt WIP-Based on Bram Stoker's Dracula

This is looking really awesome so far, I'd love to see the finished piece.

I like it and I think your work area is very cool!

Thanks for the comments, guys. Still working on the sculpt, but got started on the helmet portion this week.
I wanted to make it the way they really were, with boiled hardened leather. Here is a quick shot of the process. First is leather bolted into a form. When it hits hot water, it wants to curl up REAL quick, so this held it in place. Next is my head sculpt with tape, to add room inside for liner. Then the leather stretched over bust and strapped in place, drying. Last is the base helmet with visor and neck guard set out for position. On top is clay sculpt of spike prior to casting.
attachment.php

Finally an update on this costume. I've stepped away from the facial sculpt to work a bit on the costume and props.

First up is my trench club. Still have a few additions to make as well as distressing and aging.
attachment.php

Next are the K98 ammo pouches and belt. These are scratchbuilt from leather scraps I had laying around. Also have to be distressed and aged.
attachment.php

Next is the trench coat. Keep in mind, this is not re-enactor, accurate quality. Just a con/Halloween costume. It was a Swiss army trench with a few modifications. I'm currently testing various 'mud' recipes to try to achieve an appropriate level of filth for a WW1 trench soldier/vampire.
attachment.php

Detail of mud
attachment.php

Finally, the pickelhaube helm. As mentioned earlier, I attempted to make this in the original fashion with boiled leather, but that didn't work out. This is fashioned from a costume bowler with styrene brim and neck guard. Front emblem and spike are cast in resin.
attachment.php

Poured the foam latex tonight. The first pull stuck pretty bad (right) but the second one came out good. It'll be a two piece appliance so I can talk and drink. The chin piece is on the right, and also stuck and tore. The mockup of the teeth can be seen on the right.
attachment.php

Just a quick shot of the foam appliances (these were the first pull and stuck in numerous places) held in place with the distressed helmet. Still have to cast the bat ears and do a little pre-painting to save time on application.
attachment.php

Finished teeth before painting.
attachment.php

While getting this costume ready for some Halloween parties tomorrow night, it hit me I had never posted a finished picture. Here it is (sans ears-they wouldn't stay put) at DragonCon last month. I hope to improve it tomorrow and enter it for the RPF Halloween contest.
attachment.php

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back