Long Range Shuttle - Surak

Photos and website gone; this isn't looking good.

Too bad, this was going to be interesting. Hopefully Doug will return

Doug, sorry to hear of your troubles; that sucks. Thank you for taking time to update us on this cool project. Take care of yourself.

Eeeep! Ummm....wow. That wasn't the update we were A) expecting, and B) hoping for.

Stay sane. Nice thing is - acrylic has a looong shelf life. So it will be there when you are ready/able to get back to it.

Regards,

Gene

Thanks, guys. I appreciate the support. I'm maintaining my optimism about my future and life in general....just taking things now a day at a time. When I do get back to building again it's going to be full steam ahead. I'm looking forward to that.

Getting caught up with posting my previous progress.

This is the line bender I'm using at the TechShop. It makes bending the acrylic a piece of cake.
VS-019.JPG

And the adjustable fence for bending to the correct angle.
VS-020.JPG

The main challenge with bending the 1/4" acrylic is that it tends to want to bend to a particular radius every time and not the right radius. The radius it wants to bend to is too small. On some 1/8" acrylic test pieces I realized that the outside radius of those bends is just about right for the inside radius on the 1/4" acrylic. So I made a form to bend over to force the 1/4" acrylic into the right shape. These photos show that process.

VS-023.JPG

VS-022.JPG

VS-021.JPG

Last edited:
This is a mockup with the first test piece of the 1/4" acrylic just to get a sense of the size of it. The 2 nacelles are test pieces and both starboard nacelles.

It's really cool seeing it take shape finally. I love the size of it. Going to be a lot of fun to paint and weather at this scale.

VS-024.JPG

VS-025.JPG

VS-026.JPG

VS-027.JPG

I haven't posted an update here in quite some time. Here's a brief summary.

Shuttle internal armature block.
photo.JPG

Shuttle acrylic in progress.
photo%2B1.JPG

Shuttle bottom panel with recessed magnets.
photo%2B3.JPG

Shuttle test fitting panels.
IMG_6205.JPG

Shuttle with lights installed and light blocking in progress.
2015-03-03%2BA.jpg

Rear docking port in progress.
2015-03-10.jpg

Sled lighting in progress.
photo%2B2.JPG

photo%2B2.JPG

photo%2B4.JPG

Is that really a vulcan shuttle and not wonder woman´s invisible one? ;)

Awesome work, I am really looking forward to seeing this finished!

Thanks guys.
The clear acrylic is hard on the eyes sometimes but the precision it has with the laser cutter is a nice benefit.

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back