Back to the Future DeLorean Time Machine Restoration BTTF "A" Car

CB2001

Master Member
I know someone here already beat me to the punch, but I just got this message in my e-mail because I'm signed up with the BTTF website, and its good news:

A message from Bob Gale, co-creator, co-writer and co-producer of the Back to the Future Trilogy

Great news for Back to the Future fans -- and a request for help!

First..the great news (and no, it's not another Back to the Future movie): I'm proud to announce that a complete museum quality restoration of the Back to the Future "A" Car DeLorean is about to begin! As so many fans already know, the various DeLoreans used in the trilogy were designated by letter, based on how detailed they were. The "A" car was the very best of them, and was used in all three films. Unfortunately, after years of being displayed outdoors, the elements took their toll on this very special vehicle, so I successfully spearheaded a campaign to do something about it.

You can follow our progress via our Facebook page, as well as on Twitter.

And now, the request for help: I am calling on all fans who either have original parts from any of the DeLoreans from the BTTF Trilogy, or who know of anyone who has such items, to become part of this important project. Please email us with details. You may have something we need, or you may be able to help us track down something we need. If so, you'll be duly acknowledged as a contributor to the restoration.

Thank you, and onward to the future!

— Bob Gale

Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/timemachinerestoration
E-mail (for those who have any of the original parts or know who may have them): TimeMachineRestoration@gmail.com
Twitter: Twitter

Last edited:
re: Back to the Future DeLorean Time Machine Restoration BTTF "A" Car

Sorry, but if I had any original part from a screen used DeLorean in my collection, I'd be blowed if I'd give it back to Bob Gale! For no money in the world! :p

Sorry, but if I had any original part from a screen used DeLorean in my collection, I'd be blowed if I'd give it back to Bob Gale! For no money in the world! :p

So, instead of being a part of film history be helping in restoring an iconic prop (which you may also be credited for doing so) back to the way it was when it was last seen on a film set? And there's nothing saying that there may not be some sort of compensation (though Gale doesn't talk of it, there may potentially be one. The only real way to know is to ask. You never know).

was just about to post this... nice to see others visit the bttf website :)

was just about to post this... nice to see others visit the bttf website :)

I swing by once in a while, but I'm subscribed to the e-mails from the site, so I'm still somewhat in the loop. And when I got the e-mail, I was like, "Dude, I totally got to post this on the Replica Prop Forum", as I know there were a few that have gone out to see the cars, some of them taking upclose pictures of some of the parts to help for reference for their vehicles.

Honestly, I'm glad to hear that Bob Gale has decided to take the initiative and get the "A" car out of Universal's backlot boneyard and get it restored back to the way it used to be. As Indiana Jones himself stated (granted, way out of the BTTF fandom but connected via Spielberg), "It belongs in a museum!"

Hot damn, FINALLY a real update. Good to finally see something being done.

I'm very impressed.

Looks excellent. Thanks for sharing.

Thought members might enjoy seeing this:

MPCNikeBagOriginal750.jpg

One of a kind, original, screen matched & used Nike bag from Back to the Future 2.

Last edited:

I got the opportunity to do a bit of work for her last Sunday. Made sure to sign the piece (which will then be painted over) so at least I know that I'm in there. :D

Thanks for this link, it has answered a few questions for my screen accurate Flux Capaticor build, how many lights are there, different hole locations etc... I wish I could be there!!!or at least see peoples "notes" on the different screen used props!!!

Just saw the update vid, I am very thankful that Bob Gale has control over this project and mentioned emphatically that this extremely iconic piece of movie history will be kept INSIDE!!!

Just saw the update vid, I am very thankful that Bob Gale has control over this project and mentioned emphatically that this extremely iconic piece of movie history will be kept INSIDE!!!

Absolutely. :thumbsup

Honestly, I'm glad to hear that Bob Gale has decided to take the initiative and get the "A" car out of Universal's backlot boneyard and get it restored back to the way it used to be. As Indiana Jones himself stated (granted, way out of the BTTF fandom but connected via Spielberg), "It belongs in a museum!"

So the BTTF car at the Universal Backlot was/is the "A" car?
I was there just this summer and was quite disappointed in how it was displayed, and what state the car was in.

It looked so worn down that it looked like a poorly detailed stunt car, tbh.

I'm glad this is being restored. If I had a garage (and a huge load of money laying about doing nothing), that's the car I'd build a replica of!

Oh, just remembered: When I was in LA this summer, I met a few friends who have been working in the movie industry, and they told me a funny story I had no idea about:

The whole deal with the DeLorean Time machine that kicks in when you reach 88 mph was a big joke. The DeLorean car looked kinda cool, but was really not a power car by any means.

The top speed of the DeLorean was actually 85 mph, so reaching 88 would not be possible on a normal street.. so that was the big joke about it..

I wonder how many actually got that joke... For me it only took 27 years... and someone had to point it out to me ;)

Oh, just remembered: When I was in LA this summer, I met a few friends who have been working in the movie industry, and they told me a funny story I had no idea about:

The whole deal with the DeLorean Time machine that kicks in when you reach 88 mph was a big joke. The DeLorean car looked kinda cool, but was really not a power car by any means.

The top speed of the DeLorean was actually 85 mph, so reaching 88 would not be possible on a normal street.. so that was the big joke about it..

I wonder how many actually got that joke... For me it only took 27 years... and someone had to point it out to me ;)

Just because a speedometer only goes to 85 does NOT mean the car can't go faster. The DeLorean was built at a time when most American cars came with speedometers that only went up to 85, but some of them could go faster than that.

Not true at all - due to US laws at the time the speedo read 85, but in reality the car could do around 130mph max. (Never tried it in mine though!)

National Maximum Speed Law - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Don?t Drive Faster Than Your Speedometer Will Go | The Truth About Cars

Why does the speedometer stop at 85 mph on a 1988 Ford Thunderbird LX

To be fair though the stock engine on a Delorean was pretty underpowered for what it should have been.

No chance in hell you'd get it that fast in a mall parking lot!

When you do get them to the higher speeds though they manage alright.

I have a pretty recent pic of the Delorean in the Universal Studios Backlot that I will post when I get home. It really was in crappy shape. If I remember correctly, even the DMC logo from the front was missing. So sad. :(

So when it came to the speedo showing 88mph was that an insert shot from another car or was the speedo in the Delorean modified?

That would have been the "C" Car. So, insert shot I'm pretty sure...

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back