Starter Advice

Madeye

Hello All!
I would like to ask advice. I am just getting started in modeling/prop building. I wondered if anyone had advice on some basic tools I should gather. I know there are a number of different mediums and different but there has to be some overlap tools, knives etc. I guess if you would had a "I wish I had thought to get..." moment, I'd like to know.
Cheers!
Will

Hi Madeye,

that is a very difficult question at best, kinda like asking "what sites should I visit in Internet". :) Not only will you get a different answer from everyone, whether or not the answer is helpful depends completely on what exactly you want to do. Are you interested in model kit building, scratch building, molding/casting, electrical, etc. the sky is the limit. Best is probably to just start a project and if you get stumped somewhere along the line ask a question specifically in that direction.

if it helps you any I can just list some of the stuff I use alot,,, but like I said it completely depends on what type of project I am doing.

I have a Dremmel 4000 with a Drill press for drilling straight holes
I use my normal Drill and jigsaw as well
Watch makers diamond file set
Sandpaper of various grades
pliers
clamps
and about a hundred other little odds and ends

Sorry I could not help you more.

Jason

Last edited:
It's exactly what I am asking. I never thought about watch maker files (saw a set at a flea market recently). It also makes think about what I would use it on. I know it's a broad topic. I am convalescing am looking to get started at building something like a ghostbuster trap. I truly thank you for the ideas and input, Jason.
Cheers!
Will

Basic modeling tools that are also used in prop making.

No. 1 tool - X-acto knife and get a box of 100 blades
Low tac tape (blue painters tape works well)
To go with the mentioned sand paper also get a sanding block
Good quality paint brushes in assorted sizes
Regular files for larger jobs
Assorted glues (several types for Styrene, CA, Epoxy, etc)
DO NOT USE Ca glue on or near clear plastics as it will fog them.....
Bondo and spot putty
2 part Epoxy clays are very useful also (Aves, Magic Sculpt)
Tweezers
Rubber bands
Razor saw
Pin Vise (hand drill) with assorted bits
Rulers in assorted sizes preferably metal
Fine tip markers (good for marking and emergency touch ups in the field)
Magnifying glass or strong glasses for seeing and painting tiny parts and details

You can find a lot of cheap modeling supplies in the cosmetic section of most stores instead of paying more for items targeted at model builders or artists.

If you really plan to get into model building I'd also suggest doing a lot of reading over on the Fine Scale model forum, there is a wealth of information there.

All of the above. But the main crossover tool , like opal said would be the dremmel. It is so versatile and has many attachments for sanding, cutting, polishing , routing etc. Tou have needle size tools for cutting tiny portholes and large cutting discs for when you just need to add an inch or two to your project. I couldn't live without my dremmel. You can also use it to sharpen other tools as well. To me that's the main crossover tool , as I use it on models and props. But you're gonna need to get all the above mentioned tools as well though.

This amazing and well received information. I am currently shopping online (I am in the hospital and will be having tons of convalescing time after) for the Dremmel etc. This maybe something I work on as a future sticky maybe someday. Things that new to the hobby might not think of is rubber bands or alternative (and more inexpensive ways) to amass stuff like shopping in the cosmetic section. This makes me glad I asked and very thankful people are free with their advice. Be assured I at the least will pay it forward when I can!
Cheers!

Hi Madeye,
glad we could help. What Division 6 said about looking in the cosmetic section was very good advice, you will find that alot of things you use are just normal everyday items. Since I started, I look at trash in a whole new light... I even go grocery shopping like... "Hmmm, that brand has a neat shaped bottle, maybe I could use it for...".
The key phrase is "necessity is the mother of invention", you will be sitting there trying to do something and the next thing you know your wife is asking where did all the toothpicks go, or why the inner roll to all the toilet paper and kitchen rolls are missing, etc. That is what modeling is all about, fantasy. Just enjoy the ride and have fun and whatever you produce will be a masterpiece.

Jason

"the next thing you know your wife is asking where did all the toothpicks go"
This is solved by being single! :behave

Thanks I look forward to the fantasy.

Hey Togalai,
that is one nice link you posted. Thanks.
I never used a ruling pen before, I have always done this with toothpicks or the pointed wooden cocktail sticks, sounds like a very good idea though.

Jason

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back