Corvette Summer Stingray: My ultimate screen used prop

Well, for what it is worth, you've certainly got the prettier of the two Vettes IMHO considering how altered the Aussie car is (it doesn't even say "Stingray" on the back anymore).

As 1970s over the top as the nose section is with the custom fiberglass, the rear end alterations I always liked the best with the chevy bowtie shape and Stingray script built into the rear lights. That touch just seemed more timeless to me.

As for the movie itself, I still enjoy it. It has a quest, it has coming of age, while the premise seems far fetched it at least looks somewhat believeable and the action didn't seem over the top either. Plus I think it kind of tapped in a bit into that American Graffiti vibe as well (so it influenced Mark Hamill's career a little in that respect). Whenever the film comes on, I still typically like to watch it regardless of what else might be on.

Do you know specifically who designed the car?

What alterations have been done to yours, if any?

What is the base year the car is made from?

Wow what a blast from our past. I remember thinking that this was the coolest car on the planet when I was 9 years old. Thankfully there wasnt the internet or widely available pictures to ruin that memory.

I think I posted this before, but IIRC there was a Corvette Summer Stingray replica on an episode of Burn Notice. Unpainted primer sitting in a parking garage. This was 3 or 4 years ago.

Anyway, Big thanks for keeping an eye on this bitchin ride.

if im not mistaken , wasn't this a tv movie , and didnt it show over two summers ? , i absolutely loved this movies , and im sure it was in two parts . i could'nt wait for the second episode ... cool car

if im not mistaken , wasn't this a tv movie , and didnt it show over two summers ? , i absolutely loved this movies , and im sure it was in two parts . i could'nt wait for the second episode ... cool car

It was a big screen film in 1978. I remember it airing as a network movie of the week in 1980 (on CBS I believe). Considering its runtime was 105 minutes, it "may" have been turned into a two parter film of 90 minutes long each with the commercials back then, unless it was run in a time slot originally slated for an hour long television show that got cancelled (it was the summer time period afterall).

The thing is, I kind of have a memory of perhaps seeing it in two parts myself. Other airings I've seen have been the normal two hour type format though.

I've had this on DVD since it came out, doesn't everyone?

It's a must buy.

And aside from the car, Annie Potts is terrific in this movie.

I remember when this car came up for sale in the early 90's...my wife at the time and I came very very close to buying it but in the end she wanted a new (expensive) hotrod instead...I have regretted not buying it ever since.

I had forgotten how positively bizarre the skin and ground effects were on this particular vehicle. The only things I remember about it was the asymmetrical hood scoop assembly and that it was orange. I completely forgot about the flames and the custom valence on the front. Very cool blast from the past - something that positively needs Mark Hamill's signature emblazoned upon it somewhere in silver Sharpie. :)

What a killer find man . I remember seeing the film like you did with a bunch of my gang
we used to try and play Corvette summer ripping each others Big wheels off! lol

You have to get Mark to sign the plate and take a picture in it . The car looks like it did i the film what a fabrication job . i would love to see someone find the original mad max car that thing was a beast !

AWESOME Score. Still one of the UGLIEST customs I have EVER seen but that's what makes it so cool :)

I am sure if you contacted Mr. Hamils representation with a request that when he is local maybe you could bring the car by and have him sign it that he would be more than happy to oblige. Most people I have talked to that have met him say is is honestly a good guy.

Know this thread is 2 years old however had some info to add seeing as how the question was asked about the cars paint job.
This info has been confirmed by Korky aswell so no internet BS here.

Both cars were gold then red. One car was stolen on a car carrier while it was still gold and it was recovered.
Gold is the undercoat prior to shooting the candy red. You spray car gold first, then the clear candy with red tint over the top.

I want your neighbor's house.

and Annie Potts.

Sweet ride. This is when cars had individual style, nowadays all cars are cookie-cutter blah...

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back