Studio Scale (:p) AT-AT

Amazing work Julian, Never known anyone yo grasp Rhino so quickly. Truely amazing. Well done.
Ah Thanks for clearing that up julian. Passing of ripped mesh's as your own is frowned among in the modding community.
You might know who this guy is? Relation?
He's been spamming the forums asking for the Battle Front models?
View attachment 605475

What I would like Rob is your apologies regarding your false statement about my work, you're an experienced modeler and I know you knew from the beginning it was not the EA mesh.
Just be honest and admit that you were just trying to discredit my work.

Oh and regarding your screenshot... We probably don't have the meaning of "spamming", as far as I know posting ONE post can't be qualified as "spamming". I'm not fluent un english though, I may misunderstand the word "spamming", or maybe it was some other false statements from you which would be so sad...
I would hate to see you banned for defamation, that would be a great loss for the community. :(

I admire your persistence and pursuit of perfection , I gave up after version 13 !
Just wondering why you chose to print it rather than cnc it ( do you still have your cnc ?) I would have thought that putting those panel lines
In a print would be really hard work...
Which photogrammetry program are you using ?
As always I'm looking forward to you progress

I admire your persistence and pursuit of perfection , I gave up after version 13 !
Just wondering why you chose to print it rather than cnc it ( do you still have your cnc ?) I would have thought that putting those panel lines
In a print would be really hard work...
Which photogrammetry program are you using ?
As always I'm looking forward to you progress

Hey Jon ! I love making over and over the same models haha
I love the AT-AT so much, Empire is the first episode of the OT I saw and I was very impressed by the Hoth sequence as a kid !

Yeah I still have my CNC but it's not rigid enough to make quality work so I dont use It anymore... At some point I'll buy a new chassis for It.

Well the panel lines... That was not a great idea to include them in the mesh TBH. It increased the printing time and they did not come out well for most of them. I knew I had to rescribe them by hand anyway, I'll just use the printed one as a template in combination of templates printed on paper. The lines that were parallel to the bed of the printer were nice, thin and sharp, the perpendicular or angled ones were messy... Not a big deal though !

Ive tried several photogrammetry softwares (123Dcatch, VisualSFM) buy I now use Photoscan. I got much better results and faster (buy I had to buy another graphic card... For that and got SWBF ! :D).

Not AT-AT related but during this month of Rhino learning, Ive started this one between the AT-AT head and body... :)
Using photogrammetry once again !

image_zpscbrjyb6g.jpeg

image_zps4m3h7vti.jpeg

image_zpsq9d3bghy.jpeg

Last edited:
Yeah , I also loved that part of the film ( and the at st in Jedi ) the best bits in all Star Wars films in my opinion !
Shame about your mill , if you like drawing things in cad you'll love Cncing things ...much more satisfying than prints and the results
are miles better.
Is photoscan a rhino plugin ? I'll have to look into it

Yeah , I also loved that part of the film ( and the at st in Jedi ) the best bits in all Star Wars films in my opinion !
Shame about your mill , if you like drawing things in cad you'll love Cncing things ...much more satisfying than prints and the results
are miles better.
Is photoscan a rhino plugin ? I'll have to look into it

Yeah the ATAT and ROTJ ST are my fav !

The 3D prints are not bad, need a bit of finishing but that's OK, filling, priming and sanding are something I like a lot !

Of course a CNC would be great but I'd would need a 4 or 5 axis one to make some of the parts and I honestlty cant justify buying such a tool !

No Photoscan is a standalone soft made by Agisoft.

What I would like Rob is your apologies regarding your false statement about my work, you're an experienced modeler and I know you knew from the beginning it was not the EA mesh.
Just be honest and admit that you were just trying to discredit my work.

Oh and regarding your screenshot... We probably don't have the meaning of "spamming", as far as I know posting ONE post can't be qualified as "spamming". I'm not fluent un english though, I may misunderstand the word "spamming", or maybe it was some other false statements from you which would be so sad...
I would hate to see you banned for defamation, that would be a great loss for the community. :(

No:1 it was a polite question and N0:2 I thought I already did when i thanked you for the clarification? While were on apologies how about one from you accusing me publicly of "Using 3D and Photogrammetry" lol and also Recasting the cloud car? For a start at least!

No:1 it was a polite question and N0:2 I thought I already did when i thanked you for the clarification? While were on apologies how about one from you accusing me publicly of "Using 3D and Photogrammetry" lol and also Recasting the cloud car? For a start at least!

Ah no, It was not public, it was a private discussion that was sent to you by JW, it' sa whole different thing ! Lies, lies and lies... It seems that' the only thing you can do for your defense.
Do You want I post screenshots of the insults you sent me by e-mail ? :) all written IN CAPS ? Haha, no I won't because and I'm a good person, I would like you look like a retard if I do.
I know you don't like me because I haven't helped you enough to your taste (Ie sending you a full kitlist) regarding the AT-AT, I am sorry about that, but when I see your behavior regarding the Slave One, I'm glad I did not ! :)

Oh and I will ask you to remove the pic ASAP since it's showing personnal infos, and you're breaking the rules by doing that, if you don't I'll ask a mod to do it for you.

He-he!
Julien, I have a question but it not AT-AT related so I'll send you a PM re: B-Wing armature. Cheers!
R/ Robert

He-he!
Julien, I have a question but it not AT-AT related so I'll send you a PM re: B-Wing armature. Cheers!
R/ Robert

Robert, I havent received your PM, my box was full, however the armature is just a cross tube for now, I haven't determined his length nor its accurate shape for now, the only rough thing I know is the diameter Ive posted in your thread but my model is not scaled yet !

Thank you, Julien. Being aware of this discrepancy now, I did a little manual photo-metrics myself using one of Jean's pix of the 'blue' B-Wing (almost directly from the side) and found relatively minor adjustments in the fore & aft position of the 'long' tube made everything match up much better. Do you have any way of importing an AutoCAD DWG or DXF file? If so, perhaps you can use some of my 2D work...
Anyway, sorry for the side-track - back to topic!
R/ Robert

Ive tried several photogrammetry softwares (123Dcatch, VisualSFM) buy I now use Photoscan. I got much better results and faster (buy I had to buy another graphic card... For that and got SWBF ! :D).

Agree 100%, I got the best results with Photoscan as well - some of those other packages only compare each image to the next image in serial, but Photoscan compares every image to every other image, it makes all the difference.

Great stuff, as usual!

Your craftsmanship on your builds is amazing to watch. Cannot get enough. Your new AT-AT body is incorporating all the original models flaws, are these flaws (scratches, sagging, warping, etc.) that has occurred to the model over of the years or just what is original to the model when filmed?
I love looking at these 3D meshes. Out of curiosity, does the photogrammetry account for lens distortion?

Your craftsmanship on your builds is amazing to watch. Cannot get enough. Your new AT-AT body is incorporating all the original models flaws, are these flaws (scratches, sagging, warping, etc.) that has occurred to the model over of the years or just what is original to the model when filmed?
I love looking at these 3D meshes. Out of curiosity, does the photogrammetry account for lens distortion?

Yes the software takes in account the lense distorsion if you use pictures with the original meta data.

Im trying to recreate it like It was when filmed.
The flaws come from different things :

-From the master : crooked panel lines, handmade parts, repaired master (yeah it's been broken before It was molded, and badly repaired :(), big blobs of glue between the armored panels and the hull (cleaned on the filming models but present on the hull used in the proto armature and on the ATAT casting, that's why I think the hull of this one is not a recast but comes from the original mold)
-the castings, of course there are the airbubbles but while a lot of them can be found at the same place from à model to another, shrinkage and warping, all the production made hulls have seen have mostly shrunk and warped the same way, that's because of the thickness if the hull (uneven, from 5mm on some places up to more than 35mm on other places, the hull is thick as hell !!).

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back