Best toys of the 70's

Who had these?

I still have both of them and their respective boxes ta' boot! Although I had to snag the Life Systems Center off of ebay to complete the collection. :unsure

And another oddity I still have is this:

jj1.jpg

These old things?
starwarsroom001.jpg

granted the AT-ST is technically 80's

These are not my original toys that i had, but they are originals.
Mine perished with my childhood, so I purchased these replacements for my second childhood. ;)

I mentioned the Eagle set as well. A lot of us had it.

I was racking my brain to remember what the Pulsar figure I had was called. I had both Pulsar and Hypnos. It was a case of Mattel trying to capitalize on bionic fever of a sort even though the figure had no apparent cybernetic implants (just a clear chest cavity where you could see his lungs and heart move and circulate "blood"). Even GI Joe had a bionic figure called "Mike Power, Atomic Man" (I understand they failed in an attempt to bid on the Six Million Dollar Man License).

Another figure line I remember... the Super Joes. This was Hasbro's attempt to take GI Joe to the stars in the 1970s with 8" figures that were about the same size as the Mego ones (they ended the 12" figure line the previous year, probably due to the cost of production). I had three figures from the line during that time period.

And speaking of 6MDM, I know a lot of us had the figures. But did anyone else besides me have the Venus Space Probe? THAT was a cool toy!

Here's a bit of irony.

My brother had a Johnny West figure complete with all the accessories AND his horse. Man I loved that toy, but my brother would never let me play with it because I might lose a part.

Years go by, we both have families, our own homes, I ask if he still has old JW and the horse, he says he's not sure. A few weeks go by and one day while I'm at our mothers house picking up my son my mother presents me with a bag that my brother dropped off.

Inside is JW and the horse.

80% of the accessories are gone.:angry

I did have that pong game. I remember playing it. Atari stunt cycle was also killer!!

I also got an intellivision and fell in love. Couldnt get enough of sea battle, dungeons and dragons, football, etc. I was hooked...

800px-Intellivision-Console-Set.png

My Dad has a collection of vintage gaming systems. This is one of them he has.

Who had these?

pulsar_hypnos_action_figures_70s.jpg

I just picked up the Pulsar action figure earlier today, for $6, at an estate sale.

I am curious to see how a Pulsar figure would hold up over the years with all that tubing in the chest. I remember the 6MDM figures and Bionic Woman ones had a warning saying it was not a good idea to get them wet as the internals might get jacked up. And the Super Joes apparently have a habit of their limbs disolving in the packaging after a couple decades.

That JC Penny ad for the Fisher Price stuff brings back memories as I think I might have had most everything on that page (the sport plane which could clip onto the pontoon boat was my favorite of that particular bunch).

I had the Pulsar figure too. It was... bizarre. Kind of freaked me out a bit that the man was an anatomy chart under his sweattop. :wacko :lol

I also had a couple of the GI Joe knockoffs- "Big Jim" figures:

BASIC19.JPG

I "think" I had Big Jim (back row, red shorts... umm... the white guy :lol) but I definitely remember having "Dr. Steel" (chest tattooed bald guy).

These figures had rubber arms that could "flex their muscles" when you bent the arm at the elbow (the bicep would actually grow just like a man flexing his arm).

Eventually the lever apparatus underneath the rubber would break through the rubber itself revealing the inner mechanism.

Kevin

I few years ago a friend gave me his old Pulsar figure. The tubing was intact, but most of the "blood" had managed to evaporate.

I was born in the late 70s, but I had the Evel Knievel Stunt Cycle! LOVED that damn thing.

I also had an X-wing, but it was a later one, with battle damage stickers I refused to add because I didn't want my X-wing to be battle damaged.

I was so totally into Big Jim!!! He had some really cool stuff. The only problem was I think he was 10' and GI JOE was 12' and so their equipment was not really interchangable.

Ok, did Big Jim have a character in the line called "Bolo" whos action feature was throwing a bolo? I was really young when Big Jim was out, probably three or four, but my older brother had some and I really remember this guy, I just can't be sure that Big Jim is the toy line he was from.

I had both of these. The Vincent Price Shrunken Head Maker, and the Creepy Crawler Maker (may have been from the 60's). This was the version you could melt your finger prints off with, not the plastic encased lawerized version. GREAT TIMES!

75fe71f6.jpg

238d2b67.jpg

I agree. This is a great thread. I don't remember all the names of the toys I had as a kid, but seeing pictures I'm like "I had that!". I have to thank my parents as I had a great childhood with great toys it seems. I was born in '67 so I was the right age to really enjoy all this great stuff in the 70's and 80's.

Not a 70's toy but this is going to be a future project.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back