MattyCollector "Mattel Hoverboard" discussion

I probably won't get it until next week. What does everyone think of the mini board? Are you any happier with the accuracy of that one? :lol

Well finally got the board, well from the start the box is a **** to open,used a knife to slice though the glued opening, which still messes the lid but it still looks okay from the outside,the mini board comes attached to the side in a bag and it looks okay and has a smaller version of the same sticker like the bigger board, it also has the handlebars aswell,the only downfall is they put all the legal Mattel speel over the magnets that spoils it a bit. Now as for the board it's not to bad ,we know it's not screen accurate as far from it and it does look like a toy which I guess it's meant to be.The sticker could have been miles better as you can see the original holes down the edges where it's screwed together,as for the sound its actually quite cool and is better in person than on YouTube and you can actually here the certain whooshy sounds from the movie ,so overall it ain't that bad as a toy that imitates the real prop.

Last edited:
My board started in Ontario *california* then went to Nevada, it's now in Indiana as well. Not sure why it would go to Indiana while I'm still waiting in Florida. Hmmm

My board started in Ontario *california* then went to Nevada, it's now in Indiana as well. Not sure why it would go to Indiana while I'm still waiting in Florida. Hmmm

My ghost trap did the same thing. Mine went to Texas, Nevada, Indiana, NY, NC then down to Florida. It was crazy.

I can hardly tell any difference!!

I think if you look at every single part... it's off in some dramatic way. They had the f'in props!!!!

srohjI.gif

I received my hoverboard today. After reading this thread for months, I was anticipating the worst, but after checking it out, I think it looks pretty good. The only thing that I really dislike about it is the foot pad. It just looks wrong. The placement, the strap, the material. It's this big green thing that ruins the aesthetics of the board.

The color matching of the magnet parts and board, even if not identical, are really close. The board is very vibrant, even in the shade. Comparing the magnet parts to the ones I bought from MrSinistar, the Mattel ones appear 10-15(?) percent bigger. It's not a large enough difference to notice, using eyes and memory alone.

Even though they're not accurate, I like the recessed channels for the pink velcro. I had no problems with the sticker application (of the one I opened), but there was a black scuff mark on the side of the board. I was able to remove it. The Mattel logos have small "R"'s overlapping the white of the circle and bubbles of the board. I tried gliding it on the carpet, it didn't seem to move any different or further than a hardcover book would. I also tried using the display stand that came with it. It's clever, but it feels easily breakable.

I placed my order on Monday, and both boards arrived with the pre-order mini-boards. Copyright info is written on both magnets of the mini-board.

I bought them knowing I was going to tear them down and build them up, and I didn't pre-order them, so I'm not disappointed. If the foot pad was different, I'd be pretty happy with the board as it arrived, and keep the changes minor and superficial.

Indiana is my final destination. I wish mine would hurry up. When did yours ship?

Bad news for those wishing to modify the magnet plates on the bottom of the boards; as previously reported, the plates themselves are not molded into the pink plastic: they are removable. However, there ARE pink molded shapes underneath the plates (curiously, they are different from each other - at first I thought one may be the speaker, but there are no holes on either side) which means that trying to redo the bottom (aside from the graphic itself, which should be relatively easy to change) is going to be near impossible.

Here's a studio shot of the bottom of the board broken down into individual pieces so you can see how it all comes apart without having to take apart your own board. There is some distortion in this particular photo, so it's just for informational purposes and shouldn't be used as a basis for measurements. I will upload a distortion-free, hi-res version later for those interested.

Moviefreak that's cool. I graduated from Florida Christian College in kissimmee. You better get your Spanish up livin over there. Ha. On another note, The bottom of that board is terrible looking.

Bad news for those wishing to modify the magnet plates on the bottom of the boards; as previously reported, the plates themselves are not molded into the pink plastic: they are removable. However, there ARE pink molded shapes underneath the plates (curiously, they are different from each other - at first I thought one may be the speaker, but there are no holes on either side) which means that trying to redo the bottom (aside from the graphic itself, which should be relatively easy to change) is going to be near impossible.

Here's a studio shot of the bottom of the board broken down into individual pieces so you can see how it all comes apart without having to take apart your own board. There is some distortion in this particular photo, so it's just for informational purposes and shouldn't be used as a basis for measurements. I will upload a distortion-free, hi-res version later for those interested.

From your photo, it looks like they are pink 'holes'. Are they raised or are they like craters?

They're raised like the magnet plates. Well, one of them is anyway. The other one is a strange target pattern... but it's raised too.

It seems like there are two silver screws still left in there (in the photo)... have you tried unscrewing them to get the plate out?

I gotta say I'm a bit disappointed with it and I had set the bar pretty low for this. The stickers were already peeling off the 6" scale version before I even opened it.

It does sound like there is a screw or a piece of plastic loose in it.

The thing that really gets me is the stand. It doesn't work at all. The bottom (or back) of the board is so heavy it's impossible to get it to display.

This is the Mattycollector next to my hoverboard.org.uk board. Mattycollector is on the left and hoverboard.org.uk on the right. The Matty board looks so cheap next to it. All of the colors are different and the dimensions of the Hover Board lettering are off. I love my hoverboard.org.uk board and it set the bar very high. The Matty board does not even compare.

The sounds on the Matty board are one of my many disappointments. Mine is so bass(y) that all I can hear is vibrating and can hardly hear the difference between motion sounds. It also shuts off so quickly instead of being on idle for more than 10 seconds.

As far as the stand, there are little indents on the battery box which the pegs on the stand fit into nicely. It looks kind of cool on the stand which is good because that's where it will stay while I show off my hoverboard.org.uk board!

The best thing is that it IS an officially licensed Hoverboard from Mattel which is awesome. They finally made one!

y3a8e8yr.jpg
etedagaz.jpg

Wow, the top of that UK board is gorgeous! The only thing that ever bothered me about those were the sharp angle on the kicktail. But meh, overall it's still amazing.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back