MattyCollector "Mattel Hoverboard" discussion

upgraded hoverboard! done!
DSCF2113_zps7148cbfe.jpg

:eek < < < A M A Z I N G . . . A B S O L U T E L Y A M A Z I N G ! ! ! >>> :eek

"Too bad the Matty Collector isn't as efficient as the RPF's service."

Congratulations, Mike! Outstanding!​

Last edited:
Looks great razor :thumbsup Now flip it over and fix those magnets :lol

I can't believe how poorly this matty board was done.I also can't believe how matty allowed to let this board loose to the public is beyond me :unsure

Hello guys...nice forum.

I too am really upset with the sticker on this board.

I especially hate all of the scratches that were on the stickers right out of the box.

There are a series of deep, "F" shaped scratches/imprints that measure 1/3 of an inch high but are an inch and a half long. These are located right in the middle of the board on the front sticker and are really annoying.

There are also random scratches other places, and I know there are always going to be some scratches on a surface like this but most of these items don't cost 140 Dollars.

Are these types of scratches on many other peoples boards?

This is the problem with using such a cheap material. Normally I would be more forgiving but not on an item priced as high as this.

Mattel should at least offer replacement decals.

I just recently opened mine, and it has been over a month since I received it so I guess I am just totally screwed. Been waiting 23 years for one of these, and this is what I get. Otherwise, I actually like the board. It was always clear to me that this is a high end role-play toy and not a prop replica even though they called it one in the ads.

Thanks for listening.

Last edited:
Looks awesome, Razorsharp192. I might recommend a mod though... for the foot strap, in order to make it more sturdy and poseable you could embed some thin copper wire in between your pink fur and white material.

That way if you want to you could pose it up or down repeatedly, like so.

hoverboard1-1.jpg

I've done this to my foot strap and it works like a charm.

I went ahead and got BTTF123*'s upgrade kit. I am not going as far as switching out the stickers. I am however going to incorpeate your idea BTTFSpencer about the wire to help it keep that shape.

anyone posting pics of upgraded boards ...please watermark or alter the photo to show its modified so mattel cant take credit for your hard work

Razor, that looks really great! This has nothing to do with Roland's upcoming kit, right? This is a sticker you did?

I started with Roland's excellent graphic, then tweaked it here and there and adjusted to fit the Matty hoverboard, but no, it has nothing to do with Roland's "kit", I had this printed myself.

Looks awesome, Razorsharp192. I might recommend a mod though... for the foot strap, in order to make it more sturdy and poseable you could embed some thin copper wire in between your pink fur and white material.

That way if you want to you could pose it up or down repeatedly, like so.

hoverboard1-1.jpg

I've done this to my foot strap and it works like a charm.

no need for wire, the white webbing i've used is fairly rigid and will stay in shape (either up or down), i prefer it down though.

Do you use seatbelt webbing?

Looks a little on the thin side... I think the originals sported 2" wide (50mm) seatbelt webbing for the backing.

78150_10151091743157742_895476827_o.jpg

If you do use the seatbelt webbing someday you'll need to put wire in between there if you want it poseable.

Again, beautiful work there. I want to upgrade mine now!

anyone posting pics of upgraded boards ...please watermark or alter the photo to show its modified so mattel cant take credit for your hard work

I don't think there's any risk of Mattel trying to take the credit for my work, Mattel don't care about the hoverboard now, it's done and dusted for them.

Do you use seatbelt webbing?

Looks a little on the thin side... I think the originals sported 2" wide (50mm) seatbelt webbing for the backing.

78150_10151091743157742_895476827_o.jpg

If you do use the seatbelt webbing someday you'll need to put wire in between there if you want it poseable.

Again, beautiful work there. I want to upgrade mine now!

No the webbing I used is a more rigid than the seatbelt material so stays in place nicely. I agree the width is slightly thin, but this is due to the width of the slots in the footpad and I didn't want to have a thin bit (to fit in the slot) then make it wider, I don't think that would look very good (I think it would look a bit home-made).

Last edited:
I started with Roland's excellent graphic, then tweaked it here and there and adjusted to fit the Matty hoverboard, but no, it has nothing to do with Roland's "kit", I had this printed myself.

Oh ok, thanks for the response. Looks great. Gives an idea what a board will look like with Roland's upcoming stickers.

No the webbing I used is a more rigid than the seatbelt material so stays in place nicely. I agree the width is slightly thin, but this is due to the width of the slots in the footpad and I didn't want to have a thin bit (to fit in the slot) then make it wider, I don't think that would look very good (I think it would look a bit home-made).

Yes, I noticed that you said your webbing is rigid. What I said is that actual real seatbelt webbing is not. It's rather flimsy, so if you were to use the accurate stuff you'd have to insert some wires in between to make it appropriately rigid and poseable... your webbing is rigid, seatbelts aren't. :)

If I end up modifying my Matty board I'll probably make the slots wider if I have to, so it can accommodate 2" webbing.

BTTFSpencer, some have only speculated that the actual white material used was seatbelt webbing. It was never confirmed.

The thing is that virtually all seatbelt webbing has a fine-weave (creating an almost shiny appearance) diagonal herringbone pattern that doesn't show up in closeup pics of the props, like the one you posted. Instead, the heavier square weave and texture match closer with that of a canvas weave like most guitar straps are made of. In fact, most guitar straps come in the actual 2" width used for the foot strap.

Check out the texture here and see what you think: Ernie Ball Polypro 2" for Electric Bass Guitar Strap Leather End White | eBay

I ordered one of these and it looks spot-on.

Mmmm, to me that doesn't look right. Need better pics. I hear ya though, the screen used material hasn't been documented well enough to be able to tell. You could be on the right track though.

I'm pretty happy with the stuff I got regardless because I know they used seatbelt material for at least one of the boards.

Reference: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZT8Gb1PrQO8

Edit:

OK, I checked some of my guitar strap webbing. (2" wide).

Yeah.... I think seatbelt material is the go. Guitar straps don't even have close to the right mesh pattern and it's actually pretty much the same sheen as seatbelts.

Last edited:
I'd say it doesn't look like seatbelt material either (especially from that close up pic), it looks like it's just a piece of canvas that was cut into strips to make straps. At the end of the day though I wouldn't stress over it, the underneath of the strap is the least of worries when it comes to making the Matty board accurate....

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back