Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Subscribe
    From
    Colorado
    Feb 3, 2012, 4:51 PM - Metal Gear SnakeEater/PeaceWalker Big Boss. Starting on Spirit camo #1

Hey guys, I figured that I'd post my current project, a pair of STABO and SPIE harnesses for myself and a friend that will both be doing different versions of Naked Snake/Big Boss from the Metal Gear Solid series.

I already made a STABO harness for myself last year, but I wanted to update it and make it a bit nicer and more accurate to the game, as well as get it to attach to the pistol belt a bit better. (Hiking it up every 10 minutes at a con gets a little old)

For reference here's my first harness.

(Yes that's my adorable daughter)

(Please don't comment on my elbow sticking out 5 miles )

So far I've found that the proper hardware is obnoxiously expensive (around $100 ), but buying old military surplus parachute harnesses will net you all the hardware, plus enough webbing for 1 harness, for only $25 shipped

After cutting it up I was left with this (pistol belt thrown in because on the STABO it's a structural part of the harness.

Now to assemble the harnesses! I do have black mil-spec webbing for my Naked Snake, but the SPIE harness for my friend will be using the leftover webbing from the parachute harness to keep costs down.

Edit: I figured that I'd just chronicle the consistant harness builds and my own personal updates to the costume here.
    Last edited by The Ronin; Jun 18, 2014 at 11:02 PM.
    From
    Colorado
    Feb 4, 2012, 12:42 PM - Re: Metal Gear SnakeEater/PeaceWalker Big Boss harness builds #2

Well the weather here in Colorado has involved snow falling from the heavens for the past 36 hours, so work has been very boring. I brought my supplies for the SPIE harness to piece together.

It's currently held together with staples because I still need to be able to test fit it to my friend since he's a bit shorter than I am. The way this thing is made is nuts. It's a big weird helix. I'm going to be so glad at how simple the STABO harness is when I get to it.

From
    Colorado
    Feb 17, 2012, 4:54 PM - Re: Metal Gear SnakeEater/PeaceWalker Big Boss harness builds #3

Well the SPIE harness is done. I reversed the hooks to be more accurate to the game, not real SPIE harnesses. I also added in loops for the pistol belt to pass through so that the harness will hold it and the accessories for better comfort when being worn all day at conventions. I'll try to get some pics of my friend wearing it later.

From
    Colorado
    Mar 28, 2012, 3:32 PM - Re: Metal Gear SnakeEater/PeaceWalker Big Boss harness builds #4

Looks like I forgot to update here

Here's the Snake Eater STABO harness. This is just the bare harness without the pistol belt.

It's all heavy, MIL spec webbing. I had to use pliers to sew this crap by hand, and I ended up breaking probably a baker's dozen needles

Here it is with the pistol belt and pouches. I know the holster isn't correct, and I still need a radio, but I'm pretty happy with it so far.

And here's how it looks when worn!

5. RPF Premium Member nick daring's Avatar
    From
    Austin TX
    Apr 24, 2012, 8:58 PM - Re: Metal Gear SnakeEater/PeaceWalker Big Boss harness builds #5

I'm thinking about putting together a Peace Walker outfit and your harness replica will come in handy! Thanks!

Nick
    From
    Nashville, TN
    Apr 25, 2012, 9:45 AM - Re: Metal Gear SnakeEater/PeaceWalker Big Boss harness builds #6

This is awesome. I've long wanted to do a Snake costume.
    From
    Colorado
    Apr 25, 2012, 10:57 AM - Re: Metal Gear SnakeEater/PeaceWalker Big Boss harness builds #7

nick daring said: View Post
    I'm thinking about putting together a Peace Walker outfit and your harness replica will come in handy! Thanks!

Nick
    Yeah, I wish I had pics like this when I was putting it together. Good luck!

mxpxrobbie said: View Post
    This is awesome. I've long wanted to do a Snake costume.
    Thanks!

I finally got a pic of my friend Jacob in the SPIE harness! I'm pretty happy with how it turned out.

Peacewalker harness action shot! by RoninsArt, on Flickr
  8. RPF Premium Member nick daring's Avatar
    From
    Austin TX
    Apr 25, 2012, 12:45 PM - Re: Metal Gear SnakeEater/PeaceWalker Big Boss harness builds #8

Didn't know about the SPIE harness being used in Peace Walker versus the STABO harness in MGS3!

STABO Harness-

The straps go straight down and between the legs.

SPIE Harness-

The straps-criss cross along the side of the hips and then come through the legs.

Nick
    From
    Colorado
    Apr 25, 2012, 4:43 PM - Re: Metal Gear SnakeEater/PeaceWalker Big Boss harness builds #9

Yeah, I finally learned the difference on Cosplay.com in the Metal Gear thread. I kept thinking the PeaceWalker harness was just a modified STABO harness (Techically the SPIE harness design was based off of the STABO, so I was partially right )
    A few of the cosplayers kept mentioning their SPIE harnesses, so I googled it and realized that was the harness used in PeaceWalker.
  10. RPF Premium Member nick daring's Avatar
    From
    Austin TX
    May 5, 2012, 5:32 PM - Re: Metal Gear SnakeEater/PeaceWalker Big Boss harness builds #10

What is the strap width for the harness?

Nick
    From
    Colorado
    May 6, 2012, 4:57 AM - Re: Metal Gear SnakeEater/PeaceWalker Big Boss harness builds #11

What is the strap width for the harness?

Nick
    1", but if you order mil spec 1" it's actually 1/16".

This is a link to the place I order my webbing from Flat Nylon Webbing 1 Inch
  12. RPF Premium Member nick daring's Avatar
    From
    Austin TX
    May 6, 2012, 11:29 AM - Re: Metal Gear SnakeEater/PeaceWalker Big Boss harness builds #12

Just picked up this set of hardware.
    MILITARY PARACHUTE HARDWARE Buckle Snap D-ring plus more | eBay

I think I might use this for the webbing since it's actually old military strapping-
    STRAP GENERAL PURPOSE UTILITY LASHING 2QT US MILITARY OD GREEN CANVAS NYLON X 5 | eBay

Hard to recreate that nice 50 year old feel that the real stuff has. Cheap too!

Nick
    From
    Colorado
    May 6, 2012, 11:54 AM - Re: Metal Gear SnakeEater/PeaceWalker Big Boss harness builds #13

That looks like the right kind of stuff, hopefully there's enough webbing there!
  14. Member Since
    Jul 2012
    Jul 16, 2012, 2:48 PM - Re: Metal Gear SnakeEater/PeaceWalker Big Boss harness builds #14

Could you make a Stabo harness like the one at the top of the page
    From
    Colorado
    Jul 16, 2012, 5:08 PM - Re: Metal Gear SnakeEater/PeaceWalker Big Boss harness builds #15

Sharkman said: View Post
    Could you make a Stabo harness like the one at the top of the page
    Sure! I'll PM you about details.
    From
    Colorado
    Jul 17, 2012, 5:53 PM - Re: Metal Gear SnakeEater/PeaceWalker Big Boss harness builds #16

Updated action shot of the new harness. I still need a proper holster and all the radio bits, but I'm pretty happy with how it's turned out.

P1050509 by dmgice, on Flickr
  17. Member Since
    Feb 2013
    From
    San Diego
    Sep 19, 2013, 10:45 PM - Re: Metal Gear SnakeEater/PeaceWalker Big Boss harness builds #17

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SPIE Harness 2 copy.jpg 
Views:	1458 
Size:	583.7 KB 
ID:	233967

Some guy is selling these SPI/E Harness' on ebay for $35. Thats why I got mine. 02 Military Issued. Same harness used with the sneaking suit on Peace Walker.
    From
    Colorado
    Sep 21, 2013, 11:33 AM - Re: Metal Gear SnakeEater/PeaceWalker Big Boss harness builds #18

That's a pretty good price. I've only made the one SPIE harness, but the STABO is ricockulously expensive to find real versions, so I'll keep making them.
  19. Member Since
    Jun 2013
    Oct 18, 2013, 12:51 AM - Re: Metal Gear SnakeEater/PeaceWalker Big Boss harness builds #19

The Ronin said: View Post
    That's a pretty good price. I've only made the one SPIE harness, but the STABO is ricockulously expensive to find real versions, so I'll keep making them.
    Hey Ronin, I was wondering if you were still making these STABO rigs. I did a bit of looking around on eBay and other such websites and the rigs I found were ASTRONOMICALLY expensive for what they are. I was planning on doing a naked snake Cosplay for Halloween, but the rig has been holding the project up. I dont think ill be able to make the 2 week deadline but I was wondering if you did commissions for the rigs? Let me know what sort of price we might be looking at. Basic details: 5'8" slim framed. Thats about it I guess. Thank you!
    From
    Colorado
    Oct 18, 2013, 12:58 AM - Re: Metal Gear SnakeEater/PeaceWalker Big Boss harness builds #20

Ezra Ortiz said: View Post
    Hey Ronin, I was wondering if you were still making these STABO rigs. I did a bit of looking around on eBay and other such websites and the rigs I found were ASTRONOMICALLY expensive for what they are. I was planning on doing a naked snake Cosplay for Halloween, but the rig has been holding the project up. I dont think ill be able to make the 2 week deadline but I was wondering if you did commissions for the rigs? Let me know what sort of price we might be looking at. Basic details: 5'8" slim framed. Thats about it I guess. Thank you!
    Sending you a PM
    From
    Colorado
    Mar 20, 2014, 5:29 PM - Re: Metal Gear SnakeEater/PeaceWalker Big Boss harness builds #21

Starting another set of harnesses. One STABO and one SPIE. I figure I should chronicle them here. I'm going to try using some more complex stitching to make the seams a bit cleaner.

The STABO is up first. I ordered in a surplus parachute equipment harness, as you can find these for under $30 shipped. They have all the necessary hardware and enough strapping to make OD green harnesses.

This one was a bit different than the ones I'd purchased before. I didn't take a closer look until after I'd cut it up, but I felt kinda bad afterwards. Yes, that build date stamp is July 1966

That's all the pics I have for now. More later.
    From
    Colorado
    Apr 4, 2014, 4:27 PM - Re: Metal Gear SnakeEater/PeaceWalker Big Boss #22

So I got a set of gloves for working on my car a while back, but I never liked how bulky they were inside cars. They work AMAZINGLY well for pinning and sewing things together.

I then pinned together the whole harness, being very careful to keep everything aligned. (I ended up pulling out my wife's measuring/cutting board to keep everything straight.)

Then I ran everything through the sewing machine. I use nylon thread to keep everything consistent. Thankfully the wife's machine didn't protest too much at the thick material. I only broke the thread one time.

I'm really pleased with the patina of the belt and the vintage webbing. It really looks like it's been through a lot of use even though the webbing is technically brand new

Now to start on another SPIE harness. One of these days I'm going to do one of these for myself.
    Last edited by The Ronin; Apr 4, 2014 at 8:05 PM.
  23. RPF Premium Member nick daring's Avatar
    From
    Austin TX
    Apr 4, 2014, 8:01 PM - Re: Metal Gear SnakeEater/PeaceWalker Big Boss #23

Any reason you went with green over mgs3 black?
    From
    Colorado
    Apr 4, 2014, 8:04 PM - Re: Metal Gear SnakeEater/PeaceWalker Big Boss #24

Any reason you went with green over mgs3 black?
    Because it's not for me and the recipient didn't want to spend the extra money for black. Truthfully though, it wouldn't be too hard to dye black
    From
    Colorado
    Jun 18, 2014, 11:01 PM - Re: Metal Gear SnakeEater/PeaceWalker Big Boss #25

So I picked up the black BDUs that I'm going to use for the base of the Spirit camouflage. The plan is to airbrush a dark woodland pattern with skulls and ghosts intermingled with the normal camo pattern. I'm going to have a little fun and throw in some easter eggs here and there.

Naked Snake Spirit Camo black base BDUs by RoninsArt, on Flickr

I may have to get another black BDU jacket later on. I REALLY like how good I look in this thing.