"Atlas Shrugged" Part 2 Greenlit!

Gotta admit, I'm surprised, given how the first one performed at the box office. But I guess if your goal is simply to tell the story by hook or by crook, you're gonna shell out the cash to do so.

Regardless of one's political/philosophical leanings, I think that it's a good thing when a story is told completely. At least then it can be judged as a whole work.

It always frustrated me, for example, that Ralph Bakshi's Lord of the Rings ended where it did.

While I haven't seen the first part yet, I do like that they're getting the chance to finish it. I hate it when studios only let us see half a movie because the first part didn't "do well enough".

The question is are they going to keep it to the three act format of the book, or try to compress the next two parts into one movie.

It's not a studio movie. I think you could kinda look at it as the Battlefield Earth of ojectivists with too much money to throw away :angel

If it isn't a studio movie, then I suppose the only question is how determined the financiers are to get the full story out, in which case, they COULD do it in three films.

As a separate side of this, though, I can't help but wonder how much of this has to do with the upcoming elections in which, to at least some extent, Rand's philosophy is bound to be reflected in one form or another (and I'm not just talking about Ron Paul).

I mean, I have to wonder how much of the enthusiasm to get the film(s?) produced has to do with shaping political opinion at large, or even something not as overt -- something more like just wanting to publicly explore the work in a big way. Not even to influence public opinion, but to just sort of be a kind of catharsis for people who hold to Rand's philosophy, which in recent years has really come to the fore of public discussion.

If it isn't a studio movie, then I suppose the only question is how determined the financiers are to get the full story out, in which case, they COULD do it in three films.

As a separate side of this, though, I can't help but wonder how much of this has to do with the upcoming elections in which, to at least some extent, Rand's philosophy is bound to be reflected in one form or another (and I'm not just talking about Ron Paul).

I mean, I have to wonder how much of the enthusiasm to get the film(s?) produced has to do with shaping political opinion at large, or even something not as overt -- something more like just wanting to publicly explore the work in a big way. Not even to influence public opinion, but to just sort of be a kind of catharsis for people who hold to Rand's philosophy, which in recent years has really come to the fore of public discussion.

Oh, it's been clearly stated that some of it is politically driven, to get it out before the elections this year, and the first one was released on (what would have been) taxes due day in the US, April 15. A lot of people have also just wanted to see this adapted, in visual form.

Then it's unlikely that they'll get it all out by the time of the election, unless they film the second two parts at once (or have already been shooting, actually), rush post production, and then release the two parts something like one month apart. Even then, you're pushing it.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back