ANH Stormtrooper Bucket (Fierfek's Pep File): Bondo and Sanding

Darth Storm

So this is my first ever pep. It began when I had no internet over the holidays so thought I'd build something. Prior to that i was following Terra1 and Hoopers bucket builds and was inspired to make my own. Thanks to Fierfek for the Pep file.

Photos will follow shortly. I apologise in advance for the quality of the photos (or lack of). I used the camera on my phone.

I'm not going for screen accurate but i would like to make it look as close as i can to the real thing.

Any feedback is welcomed.

Thanks

Last edited:
Re: ANH Stormtrooper Bucket (Fierfek's Pep File)

So i tryed superglue but it didne't seem to stick the paper at all. I just managed to stick my fingers together. I then tried paper glue which worked well. I did however use to much on the dome bit so it was really sticky, but i got the hang of it after a while

Photo0050.jpg

Photo0051.jpg

Photo0056.jpg

The bucket seems slightly larger than it should be but other than that I'm happy with it so far. I decided to just fill in the vocoder with paper and ill cut it out and make it out of wood or something later similar to what hooper did.

Photo0072.jpg

Photo0071.jpg

Photo0076.jpg

Photo0078.jpg

As does everybody else I ressined the outside to harden it all. It warped slightly so i got out my mums hairdryer and heated it up to ben it back into place.

Photo0085.jpg

Photo0084.jpg

Photo0081.jpg

Photo0080.jpg

I used spray glue to glue in the fibreglass sheets before i ressinned them. I'm going to say now I HATE FIBREGLASSING! It is so frustrating to do.

Photo0087.jpg

Photo0086.jpg

Photo0088.jpg

I was sick of looking at all of the numbers so I sprayed it with some primer. I thought it would also give the bondo something to stick to and help me see where needed some attention.

Photo0094.jpg
Photo0093.jpg

Looks great so far. I messed up big time when it came to the vocoder and connecting the dome to the rest of the project, so I scrapped the whole thing. I hope you will show what you are going to do with the vocoder. I might actually try again....

Thanks Joe pep. I'm currently at uni so i won't be doing anything for a while but hopefully when i get home I will get cracking and maybe finish it.

This looks awesome so far :)
my only question is where did you get the pep file for this?? ive been searching everywheere D: !

Nice work! Your off to a great start. I'm considering making another TK helmet file without the vocoder attached to make it easier to build. Also, I scaled the helmet to the height Space Cowboy specified, so the size should have been pretty close. Now you're at the fun part of filling and sanding, be prepared to put in more than a couple hours to get a smooth finish.

Fierfek:
The pep was great. I always liked puzzles when i was younger so i guess this was like a big 3d puzzle. I think if this didn't have the vocoder and maybe the ears (for lack of a better word) built in it was be so much easier to build. Trying to fibreglass the inside of the ears was a nightmare. in the end i poored resin in because the fibreglass just wouldnt sit right. Maybe it just seemed bigger than i thought it was suposed to be. It's a great file none the less. Thank you so much for all your hard work Fierfek. I hopefully will have plenty of time when the holidays come around to finish it or atleast get a bit of work done on it. I can't wait to get back to it.

Nice work there man...:):thumbsup

IMO any paint should be applied after the bondo or filler stage... the reason is that the filler or bondo is made of polyester and the fiberglass resin is also made of polyester... this will make a hard bond to each other... applying any paint (even primer) might/will weaken the bond... just my 2 cents...;)

Anyhow, you're getting there and seeing that you visited terra1's thread is an assurance that you'll have a great result...

keep building...:thumbsup

cheers!

That's shaping up really nicely! I am looking forward to seeing how this works out.

I see you have already checked out Terra1's build of this file. the man is on fire!!!

Keep up the great work!

Thanks Atlanthia and ghost host.

pRoJectEarth7:
I did not realise that. Hopefully it turns out alright and it doesn't effect the bondo to much. Thanks for your help.

Nice work there man...:):thumbsup

IMO any paint should be applied after the bondo or filler stage... the reason is that the filler or bondo is made of polyester and the fiberglass resin is also made of polyester... this will make a hard bond to each other... applying any paint (even primer) might/will weaken the bond... just my 2 cents...;)

Anyhow, you're getting there and seeing that you visited terra1's thread is an assurance that you'll have a great result...

keep building...:thumbsup

cheers!

With absolutely total respect to ProjectEarth7, there is a layer of card between the fibreglass on the inside and the paint on the outside. Even if you applied your 'bondo' directly onto the card, there is STILL the layer of card between the two polyester products. Don't worry about the paint, Darthy. Just get the fooker built! :lol
The paint will have absolutely no repercussions whatsoever ever. Remember.......Bondo in thin coats over small areas and sand between applications. This gives you less to sand each time, allows you to concentrate on one area at a time, and ALSO allows the next bondo application to go on more smoothly.
You are on a winner here, Chap and I am hooked until the finish!

Darren

With absolutely total respect to ProjectEarth7, there is a layer of card between the fibreglass on the inside and the paint on the outside. Even if you applied your 'bondo' directly onto the card, there is STILL the layer of card between the two polyester products. Don't worry about the paint, Darthy. Just get the fooker built! :lol
The paint will have absolutely no repercussions whatsoever ever. Remember.......Bondo in thin coats over small areas and sand between applications. This gives you less to sand each time, allows you to concentrate on one area at a time, and ALSO allows the next bondo application to go on more smoothly.
You are on a winner here, Chap and I am hooked until the finish!

Darren

I think Projectearth7 said "he fiberglass resin" meaning the resin itself but hopefully it has no effect at all.

Thanks for the advice mate. Sounds like i have alot of sanding and reapplying ahead of me.

Thanks so much.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back