"As You Wish" Star Wars CVI Helmet; HRG Trooper

The Clone Emperor

6771169395_0e18145daa_b.jpg

Perhaps now the equation I have been eluding to on Facebook all Winter will make more sense;

I have begun publishing my progress on the "As You Wish" Helmet Project for Star Wars Celebration VI. My helmet will be an homage to HR Giger's creature design for the movie Alien.

6771172515_c34e688090_z.jpg

1. Alien frontal skull = Vader helmet
2. Alien lower mouth features = Clone Trooper lower helmet
3. Alien spine ridge = Clone Trooper fin repeated
4. Alien ribs along side of head = Death Star hallway light features
5. Alien tubing bulge = Clone Trooper thermal detonator
6. Alien secondary mouth = Darth Vader lightsabre

Along with several sketches, I am first constructing a 1/6th scale maquette. I am taking this additional step to solidify the design before I cut up the full scale helmets being used the final piece.
6771176101_d1173b999b_z.jpg

I will be updating this gallery often as helmet gestation progresses to full scale.
HRG Trooper WIP image set on Flickr

Be well,
Thomas

Last edited:
Re: CVI Helmet Project; TC + Hotdog + CVI = HRG Trooper

WOW!! Great work and Awesome idea for a helmet. This shall raise a lot of cash for charity. Can't wait to see this at CVI.

great idea for it!! I Have mine all planned out but haven't worked on it yet.

Maquette WIP 11

Thank you,

And I do look forward to the seeing the work of all the other artists, celebrities, and professional studios who are working on this project.

Forsooth, I find progress threads engaging. And this project will provide for some nice shots;
6783605723_2b947081c6_z.jpg

This morning I am truing up the "Death Star Panel Lighting," my SW translation of the ribbing on the side of the Alien's head.

HRG Trooper Photo Set on Flickr

Be well,
Thomas

Whoah super creative and very cool. I can't wait to get a picture with this at CVI!

CVI Helmet Project; concept

Work is proceeding smoothly on the maquette, though I want a little more done before sharing new progress images. (I might even be receiving a little help from a big team on that end.)

In the meanwhile, I thought it might be nice to share a bit of the concept work I played with before deciding in the HRG Trooper design.
6796368201_b5f617b5d8_z.jpg

Hey Thomas,

as usual your work totally stands out!

Looking forward to seeing the final result!

Michael

HRG Trooper beginning full scale

Thank you for your support and interest

Yesterday was a long, but productive day.

I began work on the full size helmet;
$(KGrHqV,!hcE2iDYjWpzBNs)pPU8yw~~_35.JPG

Efx sent participants fully finished Clone Trooper Captain helmets to work with. This was deemed more efficient than putting in an order for a small run of unfinished helmets with their team in China.

6824812627_af493a73ee_z.jpg

It was intimidating to start work on such a nice collectible, but transforming it into something beyond is the purpose of the project.

6824810929_b68a1e1744_z.jpg

My maquette provides the 3-D blueprint of the work ahead and the confidence to do what must be done. I expect to complete the maquette soon. Sideshow Collectibles has even offered to send me a couple of the final 1/6 scale pieces I will need to finish the detailing.

Be well,
Thomas

HRG Photo Set on Flickr

CVI Helmet Project; Full size WIP

While waiting for the final parts to detail the maquette, I began assembling the face mask of the full build this weekend;
6865379329_182b311f7b_z.jpg

Having wanted one of those Captain helmets FOREVER, I literally cried a little seeing it cut up. But this project looks amazing!

HRG Trooper 1/6 WIP - 13

Good afternoon,

It was daunting when the pristine helmet from EFX arrived. I said to myself, "You better be sure about what you are planning to do." And I realized, I am. I had been sketching for months, and begun sourcing parts before the helmet arrived.

This past weekend, with the arrival of a special package, I worked towards completing the maquette.
6909661231_a4a3041c83_z.jpg

1. Special thanks to SIDESHOW COLLECTIBLES INC. for sending me the 1/6 scale lightsabre and clone trooper thermal detonators I requested for detailing the lower half of this maquette. I might have been able to hunt down the same on ebay, but I much more prefer to involve the company that I hold with such admiration. Thank you for the inspiration.
2. First blood; That's a 3/8" slothead screwdriver puncture in my palm, (I was using it to crack a groove on the pvc pipe "mother mold" used to mold the bent Maul sabre.
3. I really do a lot of my work from the bath. After this shot I added more Apoxie to secure the new additions and bubbles to make the bath more luxuriant.

HRG Photo Set on Flickr

Be well,
Thomas

Resuming progress after respite

Thank you, my esteemed colleague.

As You Wish Charity Helmet Auction at Star Wars Celebration VI, maquette WIP;

Resuming progress after respite. Again special thanks to Sideshow Collectibles for the assist with the scale lightsabre and clone trooper parts.

6979892965_df51888b7a_z.jpg

Tightened seal between bust stand and helmet base, added throat and back of neck ribbing details. Will complete with drool hoses to back.

While I still have plans for to develop this maquette even further, my focus is now on the final full-size piece.

HRG Photo Set on Flickr

Be well,
Thomas

Good morning,

On the topic of project updates;
HRG Trooper Maquette, final master
The next image represents the progress of the maquette for my full scale contribution to the 501st and EFX's 2012 "As You Wish" Artist Charity Helmet Project at Star Wars Celebration VI. Proceeds will benefit the Make-A-Wish foundation.
7064332203_5a5cb56ae6_z.jpg

The full size helmet is progressing at a pace that is almost predictable. And though I have worked out much of the proportions and placement of elements with the maquette, new challenges arise in addressing the full scale.
7037816683_1ce927c9e4_z.jpg

My task at this stage of the project is two fold;
1. To make the audience believe the recognizable elements from different characters really were designed to go together.
2. To subtly tweak the form of each element to elevate a degree of fear when viewing.

I was mildly surprised and greatly delighted with artist Scott Zambelli requested reference images of the helmet in progress to include in his 501st Sketch Cards, part of a larger collection of SW artist work to be displayed at SW Celebration VI.
6900688718_bdc21a1a16_z.jpg

I love seeing artists work with and inspiring one another in chain reaction fashion.

HRG Photo Set on Flickr

Be well,
Thomas Spanos

HRG Trooper, Full-sized helmet in production

501st and EFX's 2012 "As You Wish" Artist Charity Helmet Project at Star Wars Celebration VI. Proceeds will benefit the Make-A-Wish foundation.

Progress images from the weekend;
7127230047_28a80fbeac_z.jpg

This will be big. But not this big. I estimate I will shave this block down to 40-30% of its current mass.

7127230527_349bb3f99c_z.jpg

Working at full scale afforded me an opportunity to try out the shop's Japanese Razorsaw.
I have concluded that I need a Japanese Razorsaw in my life.

7127231495_2cd9cf38e8_z.jpg

After several years of shaving away deli slices from my project, shop professional Jon Olimb took pity on me and offered the use of his cordless skill saw (with built-in project light and ammo counter.)

¿Who would have guessed that so many tools were missing from my life?

HRG Photo Set on Flickr

Be well,
Thomas Spanos

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back