"As You Wish" Star Wars CVI Helmet; HRG Trooper

Re: CVI Helmet Project; TC + Hotdog + CVI = HRG Trooper

Geiger would be proud :D

You should think about vacuforming some of this too lol

HRG Trooper progress continues

7151478043_3bce92e281_z.jpg

Making pink snow.

7151449625_399248e52d_z.jpg

Over and over I reshaped the main body of the helmet. It is now one foot shorter than when I started. I suppose I could have taken measurement from my maquette and scales up, but I prefer to feel the shape arrive. There is a long way to go yet. I look forward to it.

7216252426_95be39108a_z.jpg

In preparation for colour scheme options, I have the maquette in a uniform white. I very much appreciate the way the uniform colour brings out the piece's details.

More soon.

HRG Photo Set on Flickr

Re: CVI Helmet Project; TC + Hotdog + CVI = HRG Trooper

This looks really cool. I have always like HR Gigers style. Never seen this star wars rendition though. Pretty cool twist.

Layer by Layer

Good evening,

Yes, Michael is correct. The pink material is standard building insulation, lamented with Gorilla Glue.

I have spent quite a few days carving an sanding that initial block down to size;
7285059696_9308a4f539_z.jpg

7302023720_ab1103d2b6_z.jpg

I have cut a fairly expensive collectible to shreds. This is not something I do lightly. Over half of my production tyme on this project has gone into planning. I do believe that effort is paying off.

I like to take a page from my native brother's philosophy of using every part of the kill. I am using as much of the original helmet as possible in this design. The viewer of the final piece may not immediately know this for fact, but it is my hope that they feel it.

7328111766_89dc182017_z.jpg

Layers; Grey lacquer based primer, microfil bondo, and resin jacket over a shaped foam core. The developement of the full-sized helmet follows the maquette in a manner satisfying to me. Very much a "I love it when a plan comes together" moment.

Today, I am making a pattern in preparation for reproducing the horn for the “spine” on the top of the skull.

Be well,
Thomas

HRG Photo Set on Flickr

Not a "heavy hitter," but don't turn your back on me.

Progress from last week;

7347467964_9a416f681e_z.jpg

Here I use tape and a circle template to layout hours more work for myself. I had too because the Voice told me so. (There are tymes that I question the nature of the Voice's intent.)

7356906498_64239d8474_z.jpg

Round two. My first attempt to rout out the “Death Star” lighting was unsatisfactory. For this attempt I filled in the previous attempt, and prepared the area a new with the elipses in 1/16" of craft foam.

7356906674_2709c9d11c_z.jpg

Here I have added a new layer of Microlite filler and sanded it smooth to the same thickness as the elipses.

7175234341_880d47062d_z.jpg

”Death Star hallway lighting" patterning solved and clone trooper "horn" reproduced to mimic spine. I have learned much by arriving at this point.

Be well,
Thomas

HRG Photo Set on Flickr

Progress from third week June 2012;

7438360012_188b807580_z.jpg

I had wanted to use a fan-made kit for the thermal detonators on the full-sized helmet to reference the 501st costuming community. However, as tyme wore on without response from various boards I realized I would simply need to make them myself. They were fun to make after all.

7438360506_e0e7ae1d52_z.jpg

Despite having to fabricate the majority of this helmet, I am striving to use as much of the original clone trooper lid as possible. Here I used a heat gun to reshape the vent on the back of the original helmet and affix it to the original helmet's forehead. Together these become the bottom of the back of the HRG Trooper helmet.

7438361036_bd3caa7dc6_z.jpg

If it is not apparent already, I have purposely been shooting the same side and angle of the piece so as to best demonstrate progress.

7438361350_3fd42f1979_z.jpg

It is moments like this that I can envision having my weekends back. I do love the process.

Be well,
Thomas

HRG Photo Set on Flickr

are you going to be doing a dome over the whole thing or just keeping it more along the "warrior" lines with the spine exposed?

thats looking gorgeous! i wish i wouldve saw that you were looking for thermal detonators. I did a run of them on the mandalorian mercs boards and i wouldve gladly donated some to you!

"As You Wish" SW Celebration VI Helmet; HRG Trooper

Progress from first week of July 2012;
7485267334_d11c5b141d_z.jpg

This weekend I began to shape the torso display piece. Combined, the piece's final presence can be visualized.

I think it prudent to mention at this stage that I still have all ten fingers.

IronFett, this piece was always envisioned without the dome;
6771172515_c34e688090_z.jpg

This decision was based on the beauty of the original Alien construction, which was picked up in the sequel. The Warrior Alien, as it is called now.

Sleeping Lionheart, thank you for the consideration. I still could use the upper chest armour front and back--but I only need from the breast line up. Shoulder strap piece would also be of help. PM me soon if you have a lead. Otherwise, I will simply make these from scratch too.

Be well,
Thomas
HRG Photo Set on Flickr

HRG Trooper, leading up to the last week

A few update images as I wait for morning to resume sanding;

7630180910_00994937a5_z.jpg

This is the backpack for the HRG Trooper, during construction. Based on the standard issue for an AT-RT driver pack, this component was used part of the HRG Trooper macquette as an anchor point for the jaw cables.

7722943070_7ace7fb768_z.jpg

Undercarriage
I painstakingly built panels in sheet styrene in to block off the "exhaust tubes" and fitted foam shims around the same to account for gaps that were created earlier. Then I began to cover my handy work with autobody filler. And I did not quite finish sanding the area.

I am reminded that this effort will likely be the least seen projection of the project. None-the-less it is important to do right.

7722942378_1ddc569536_z.jpg

This is a copy of the model I made to help visualize my full-sized contribution to the As You Wish Helmet Project. I have been experimenting with different treatments for the final piece. Though I do not intend to use this finish I feel Chinese red lacquer carving effect works very well on the intimate scale of the maquette.

7722943520_cdec96bcbe_z.jpg

My friend spoke it best when he commented that project was more than just a helmet.
It is a life style.

Be well,
Thomas

"As You Wish" Star Wars CVI Helmet; HRG Trooper; Complete

Now that I am back from my Star Wars Celebration VI/Dragon*con Odyssey, I can share what the completed project looked like;
7812906138_2881d63523_z.jpg

Through out the project's construction, the fins of the “Spinal Ridge” were left unattached until the very end to avoid wear. As the fins were individually sloped, they were numbered to mark position.

7812906424_41b6243fba_z.jpg

Assembled.

7812905840_2e336dac83_z.jpg

Painted.

7812906822_e2bbc27b2a_z.jpg

7812907132_80bde0f360_z.jpg

Be well,
Thomas

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back