Zenkai/Acerocket TPM Obi-Wan or Starkiller/Acerocket TPM Obi-Wan

alessandra

So, to preface this, my current static saber collection consists of a complete steel (except for the booster :unsure) RussRep ANH Obi-Wan with vintage Graflex clamp and Exactra 20 bubble strip, and a Rylo ROTJ Luke (I sold my ANH and ESB Luke Graflexes). So I pretty much consider those two to be (in my opinion) the "best" static versions of those sabers that I can possibly get.

Aesthetically and story-wise, I also consider the ANH Obi-Wan and the ROTJ Luke to be a pair of sorts, as they represent a student/master relationship, and in both the movie prop world and in the Star Wars universe have similar reasons for being similar in terms of design elements. In the movie prop world, it takes cues from the shared stunt and v2, which were based off of Obi-Wan's saber, and in the Star Wars universe because Luke had to use schematics and spare parts from Obi-Wan's hut on Tatooine. Though perhaps Luke still would've built his lightsaber to look like Obi-Wan's as a tribute to his first Master.

Anyhow, I've decided that I want to start another student/master pair, this time in the form of the TPM Obi-Wan and TPM Qui-Gon Jinn. And of course in this pair, they're aesthetically similar because when Obi-Wan built his lightsaber, he took design cues from Qui-Gon's lightsaber as a sign of respect.

So I asked myself what is the "best" version of the TPM Obi-Wan I think I could possibly find? And after a bit of research, I came up with the Zenkai/Acerocket TPM Obi-Wan or the Anakin Starkiller/Acerocket TPM Obi-Wan. From my understanding, the Z/A TPM had all aluminium parts and the black sections were then painted in a semi-gloss black paint. That run had LEDs installed but no sound. The later run by Anakin Starkiller/Acerocket used delrin for the black sections to simulate the use of resin pieces in the original prop and were static "Hero" versions. According to Acerocket, the shade of black is slightly off in the delrin version, so the Z/A TPM is probably slightly more screen-accurate in appearances, though the AS/A TPM is more true in terms of the nature of the material.

Here are some photos of the Zenkai version:

zenkai_1.jpg

zenkai_2.jpg

zenkai_3.jpg

zenkai_5.jpg

zenkai_6.jpg

zenkai_7.jpg

Here are some photos of the Anakin Starkiller version:

starkiller_1-1.jpg

starkiller_2-1.jpg

starkiller_3-1.jpg

starkiller_4-1.jpg

starkiller_5-1.jpg

Anyhow, I believe the thread for the Z/A TPM is located here:

http://www.therpf.com/f9/perfect-obi-wan-tpm-lightsaber-42567/

And there's a nice comparison of several versions of TPM Obi-Wan sabers here:

http://www.therpf.com/f9/ultimate-obi-wan-kenobi-e1-saber-57337/

My first question for all of you, because I couldn't find an answer, is this - how many Zenkai/Acerocket TPMs were made, and how many were made that were static "Hero" props?

EDIT: Acerocket chimed in on another forum and gave me this information:

"The Zenkai run was ten sabers total. All ten had the LED setup but no sound. I don't even have a copy of one of those. The Starkiller run was 25 sabers I believe. I used to have one extra saber that was about 95% complete but I sold it earlier this year to someone who had one bought one of the run sabers but it had gotten damaged."

I guess the second question would be if you just happen to know of anyone selling one - either the Zenkai or Anakin Starkiller version. :lol

But seriously, I'll be looking around over the next few months to see. If I really can't find one, I'm going to probably try to get a non-EL ready Larbel or Larbel "Super-Accurate" TPM Obi-Wan and replace the knob, valve, and bezel, and get a custom emitter plug for it. I contacted Acerocket and he may have a few leftover pieces from his most recent run of super-accurate Obi-Wan TPMs with LED and sound, though they aren't made to fit with any other versions of the saber, even the Z/A or AS/A runs. He did say that for the Z/A and AS/A runs he used Roman's Empire parts, so I'm also on the lookout for those as well.

There's also the "Hez" version, but I don't know as much about that particular run, except that it was after Larbel and before Zenkai's run - and I don't know how many were produced.

But the Z/A (or AS/A) TPM is my "unicorn" saber at the moment. Before this I suppose it was the RussRep ANH Obi-Wan, which I now own. :)

Last edited:
If i recall correctly, the Anakin Starkiller version was slightly more accurate. The Zenkai used a recharge port in the center of the covertec wheel, but the prop (and the Starkiller version) used a phillips head screw. Furthermore, the Zenkai tapered the edges of the vertical struts near the emitter where as the Starkiller and prop did not have that taper.

Thanks! That's good to know.

I'd still definitely be happy with either, but I know how rare it is for them to be sold. I only know of two Starkiller/Acerocket version that have been sold and none of the Zenkai/Acerocket version.

EDIT: I'm also perhaps considering the Darth Hez version now too.

Last edited:
To quote Erik again:

"On the Zenkai run, the three parts [of the pommel] are machined aluminum with semi-gloss black paint on them. In terms of color, they more accurately replicate the hero prop. The biggest difference is that the pommel cubes are a single piece ring with a two piece pommel section (screw on cap - exactly the same as the pommels I used to sell).

The Anakin Starkiller run uses Delrin because Anakin Starkiller did not want painted metal - he wanted the try and replicate the plastic construction. But I can't cast or machine resin - so we went with delrin. In terms of construction, it is mixed metal and plastic but the black color is off slightly. The cubes however are six separate pieces inserted into a one piece pommel. It also has a two piece choke to body section as seen in the hero prop pictures."

I guess with my knowledge now, I'll hedge my bets on trying to find someone selling one of the Anakin Starkiller/Acerocket TPM Obi-Wan lightsabers. Also, I don't know if I want to pay for an LED saber (Zenkai) when I just want a static, and there are 25 possibilities of someone selling a Starkiller/Acerocket, rather than 10. Also, at first I thought I wanted painted aluminium, but the delrin is growing on me.

Of course, since finding one is still really unlikely, the backup plan is a non-EL Larbel, "Super Accurate" Larbel, or "Hez" version fitted with an extra knob, valve, bezels, and emitter plug from Acerocket's latest run of TPM Obi-Wan lightsabers (with light and sound).

Last edited:
Does anyone know anything about the Larbel "Super Accurate" TPM Obi-Wan pictured here? It's the top saber, the next is the Zenkai saber, and the third is an MR EE. Is the Larbel "SA" just a non-EL ready?

ImportedPhotos00064.jpg

A bit more cross-pollination between forums:

"Allegedly there are only 2 Larbel "Super Accurate" SS in existence. Although there are probably a couple more that are just not numbered."

Last edited:
Stormpath's version is IMO one of the best. There was a thread somewhere explaining the accuracy from waaayyyy back but I couldn't find it.
Good luck with your search!

I remember back when the Zenkai was first offered, I missed out on it by a few weeks and i've been kicking myself ever since.

I've owned many Obi sabers over the years, including DH Studios, MR and Parks, and although all were very nice (and some were just awesome) there was always something bothering me.

I must say that finding a TPM Obi saber that I would actually want to keep is on my bucket list lol

Those are mine.

The rest of the thread is here.
http://www.therpf.com/f9/ultimate-obi-wan-kenobi-e1-saber-57337/

Does anyone know anything about the Larbel "Super Accurate" TPM Obi-Wan pictured here? It's the top saber, the next is the Zenkai saber, and the third is an MR EE. Is the Larbel "SA" just a non-EL ready?

ImportedPhotos00064.jpg

A bit more cross-pollination between forums:

"Allegedly there are only 2 Larbel "Super Accurate" SS in existence. Although there are probably a couple more that are just not numbered."

I've also owned the Anakin Starkiller kit that I never assembled and sold.

I still have the Larbel SA SS O, the Zenkai, and the chromed BR.

I sold the rest.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back