DEUS EX - Augmented Arms

Looks dead on so far!!! How are do the arm segments move? Obviously the "real" version would be synthetic muscle, but those will be hard pieces.

Are the buckles made of foam as well?

Nick

Which buckles? Hopefully this will help clarify

Looks dead on so far!!! How are do the arm segments move? Obviously the "real" version would be synthetic muscle, but those will be hard pieces.

Adam Jensens upper arm is flexible muscle however the forearm in a hard shell. The side of this elbow/forearm is sort of a soft foam. I'm just going to make this hard, however I could cast a soft foam too if I could find a suitable product using my hard shape to make a mold.

I finally have a working approach for the muscles. It's a modified Sloan style. With 1/8" foamy backing, stretched and glued stretched vinyl skin. That fabric glue Sloan shows is amazing stuff by the way! I used that to lock the skin in place and then I stiched the perimeter on my sewing machine. I think I could actually stich the muscles right to the under shirt I'm making. I've got some custom welting thats 5/32" poly cord in there as well down the center of the tricep. I bought a bulky overlock presser foot. I helps makes the welting and handles all that foam pretty well. It took me like 12 hours to make the last upper arm I scrapped. The other method took tons more sewing and cutting with worse results. I'm hoping I can knock the new ones out a bit faster.

Last edited:
Vest looks awesome. Sounds like you have a method for the upper arm. Keep it up I can't wait to see more!

I've been extremely busy lately, so my project has been put on hold. I will return to it soon though.

Phenomenal job! I've been contemplating making some arms for my boyfriend since before the game even came out, but due school and work I haven't been able to. I was contemplating making the upper arms out of a urethane rubber, but your vinyl is looking really good and has the bonus of not having to sculpt and take molds.
How did you get the 3D models of the arm out of the game files? I'm working on some legs from the random LIMBS clinic NPCs, and it would be great to either get a full rotational view of them or turn some of the parts into Pepakura files.
I almost had them made for last Halloween, but I just ran out of time. Had to make plaster casts of my legs three times before we got a technique that worked...

Phenomenal job! I've been contemplating making some arms for my boyfriend since before the game even came out, but due school and work I haven't been able to. I was contemplating making the upper arms out of a urethane rubber, but your vinyl is looking really good and has the bonus of not having to sculpt and take molds.
How did you get the 3D models of the arm out of the game files? I'm working on some legs from the random LIMBS clinic NPCs, and it would be great to either get a full rotational view of them or turn some of the parts into Pepakura files.
I almost had them made for last Halloween, but I just ran out of time. Had to make plaster casts of my legs three times before we got a technique that worked...

Thanks. Yeah casting foam or rubber is a bit much, I have no life casts of my self to sculpt on, I choose the sewing route with pretty solid results I think. We found one person who was able to rip the game model, not sure how they did it. I have a 64bit machine which f's up some options for the ripper I usually use, I think maybe they had a 32bit machine and it worked... not sure though. I have not seen any npc thug models, and Adam Jensen was the only model I've seen released.

been busting my a$$ to try to get this done for Comic-Con. Basically have to work on this thing everyday for 2 hours min. till t
he con. I'm gonna do my best, some elements my be subpar however the over all effect should be solid. Bonus WIP photos of the weekends sewing... The machine I got from my Mom is clutch.

I haven't done any work on the forearms. I did order all the parts for the right arm though.

Lots to do still: Upper Right Arm, forearms, finish the belt, Sew the front and sides of the vest, and need the glasses still (Sloan can I borrow yours :love), leg bag if I can get to it...

Look really really good. I never realized it until i played on HD but the coverings on his shoulders where they hook to his body move like they're made of a kevlar cloth but the rest is solid armor it seems.

did you ever release the templates fr this?

No, they have not been released to the public yet. Sloan is gonna work on vest and then we're gonna share some thoughts.

That looks pretty good! I didn't realize, but is the vest foam? If so what did you coat it with to make it look like a hard shell?

Yes the vest is mostly foam and still has a bit of flex to it. The shoulder straps are mostly pep & fiberglass. The complex piece in the center of the back is also pep and fiberglass.

I used cheap harbor frieght 1/2" thick foam, cut and then heat sealed the surface using a heat gun. Glued up the whole vest using contact cement and hot glue.

I coated the vest with about 4-5 coats of Modge Podge. I started wet sanding after the fourth coat. I was able to get a pretty smooth surface, with a small amount of flex left.

ok. cause i am needing something like the vest for a youtube series i am building for. pep files would just make it easier to build for the multiple people.

Looking better and better. Hope you can get it all done in time!

I love the way you've attached the muscles to the shirt with that webbing and elastic cord. I'm totally going to do that.

Can you tell me about the fabric you have lining the arm holes of the vest?

Can you tell me about the fabric you have lining the arm holes of the vest?

It is just a shiny spandex I found at the fabric store. I have a hoop of the 5/32 poly welting sewn into it. I think 1mm or 1.5mm neoprene would look the best.

I got more work done this weekend. Sewed a bunch but have not assembled the right arm yet.

I also built the side plates to the tactical belt. these are made of polyester resin, glued, coated chip board

Close but not quite ready yet for Comic-Con. I've got to wrap up painting the forearms and typhoon ammo, and few other finishing touches. I'll be wearing it out on Sat.

-Z

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back