Mad Max: Fury Road

Batguy - That Max was doing the whole thing selfishly, but I think that to him it was a fair trade. Yes, he needed gas, but as it was pointed out in the film, he could have easily taken that gas, fuel up the tanker and drive away. Seriously thinking about it, the tanker would be a better road weapon, a rolling fortress if you can scrap together enough metal to re-enforcing every inch of it. Yet, Max didn't. To me, that's a sign that though he started it as a selfish act, it brought the tanker back on good faith, and that because he completed the task, the reason behind whey he didn't drive it when the offer was made was that he thought to himself, "I've already helped these people and I've got my reward. Onto the next task." In the scenes leading up to him going to get the tanker, he seemed like he was making an effort to connect with them, but not fully connect with those people. Afterwards , when they had finally accepted him, he got afraid of caring for them and decided to run. It's like he still cared, putting up this false front of just being no different from the typical scavenger with the exception that he wanted all the fuel he could have for his car so that they wouldn't care about him when he left. It's like he wanted to make sure they didn't like him, to keep his distance from them, but he still wanted to make sure that they got what he needed. So,yes, it is a selfish act, but not the selfish act we think of it (it's he's trying to fulfil the psychological need to do the right thing, the thing that made him want to be a cop in the first place, that thing that makes a person want to be good).

But then again, I could be wrong with this interpretation, but it doesn't make sense that he would have interaction with the Feral Kid if he didn't want to be liked by at least one person in that group if it was all a selfish act.

Max being a little bit friendly with the feral kid for a few minutes doesn't exactly make him a team player. That cost him nothing.

He did a few scattered things to be friendly or help someone else during the course of the movie. But it was far outweighed by his overriding concern for himself. Almost everything he does, even the majority of the friendly/helpful stuff, has a self-interested angle if you look deeper at it.

As for the truck, IMO it's irrelevant whether Max's car or the truck would have made a better vehicle in that setting. I think it's clear enough that he preferred his car.

The truck might make a better weapon on paper, but there are lots of possible reasons why the decision might still be more blurry than that. Maybe gasoline was easier to find than diesel fuel. Maybe he didn't want to give up every other little worldly possession he still had on this earth, which were all over the inside of that car. Maybe he trusted the car's reliability more than an unknown vehicle. Etc.

I think what's being lost in the conversation is that Mad Max is was and always has been about style, not realism. The cars look cool. Who the **** cares if they're impractical? Complaining about the design in Mad Max is like complaining that GWAR's costumes are impractical. It misses the point entirely.

Here's a way to break down Max and his motives.

In MM1: Max is a cop, their duty is to assist citizens when in need, no matter the situation, even if they dislike what the situation is. This is a recurring theme troughout the series, even in the cannibalistic world, Max helps others. His world and life have been ripped apart, nothing left to do but idle aimlessly in what's left of earth. Along his drives, he sees people that are in need. He sees opportunity to bargain and profit from helping them, his skills are much needed in the environment, perfect fit for him. He wants to be alone, yet the line between the humans and animals out there, is Max helping or destroying. He doesn't want a new family, he can't stand or risk losing everything again, so he is solo. Distancing himself while helping the people is his way of keeping them intact (not losing everything as he did) while he profits from it to continue on as a loner.

Max can be interpreted as a lone guardian of sorts. He pops in, shares his abilities, takes what he asked for, and disappears. Almost as a mercenary that only asks for his space in return, or ways to get back to his own space. At the end of the long and sunburned day, Max wants alone time. He does what he needs to in order to get that.

What I would like to see is an age when society is reestablished, and everyone shares their stories on how they got back on track. And every story starts out with: "It was because of a loner named Max." The people get back to normal, and thank Max for everything... but he isn't there to witness it all. No evidence of such a man, just their words, but everyone would know he was real. Nobody would know what happened to him or where is now, but all that mattered was that he restored the world after someone killed it. Somethin like that lol

I finally saw this for the first time last night and have to say it was probably one of the coolest movies I've seen. It was a very simplistic storyline with a lot of stuff happening during it that looked like took a long time to shoot.

Visually the colors chosen and the vehicles/characters were just awesome. For sheer entertainment value it was a total blast and didn't feel slow in spots. I really liked the tone and was actually surprised given the rating that you would expect more language, and the way the ladies were dressed that they'd show some typical frontal nudity, but everything on that end was sparing and tastefully executed without showing much at all, proving it's not a necessity to have in a film (though I'm not offended either way).

I loved that Miller showed that you can empower women without being stupid about it and just letting the women be strong. The whole structure for how some of these new films needing to be more PC in empowering women are being done in such a ridiculous fashion role reversing the typical old male/female portrayals and making the men seem like damsels in distress or painfully weak. I like that the women just exist as equally strong personalities and skill. That's the way to do it.

The sound and music was beautifully done. This would sound great cranked up in a home theater.

I thought it was awesome. Hardy wasn't exactly a major stand-out character as Max, but the film as a whole was great.

anyone else think land striders from dark crystal when they saw the swamp walkers in madmax?!!??!??!

maxwalkers2.JPG

Was Gibson really that brilliant? He had fewer lines in the road warrior than hardy had in fury road.

When i watched the movie for the first time i really though (come se dice?) Max was mentally disabled, talking in monosyllables etc.

¨What is your name blood bag?¨
-UGh!

-¨We needs more bullets¨
-Ugh!

-Do you want some milk blood bag?
-Ugh!

Last edited by a moderator:
When i watched the movie for the first time i really though (come se dice?) Max was mentally disabled, talking in monosyllables etc.

¨What is your name blood bag?¨
-UGh!

-¨We needs more bullets¨
-Ugh!

-Do you want some milk blood bag?
-Ugh!

Unfortunately, as its been explained, when Max is first seen at the start of the film, he is practically an animal and has been alone since whatever happened in between the events of Beyond Thunderdome and Fury Road. It's only after his interactions with Furiosa and the Wives did he begin to become a human being once more.

Last edited by a moderator:
I felt that about everyone. We were all so far gone.

Even the vehicles. No one in the films even had a frame of reference for what those cars used to look like. They were assembled from a pile of parts.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

It was a good enough Mad Max movie.

A little over the top (flame-thrower electric guitar speaker truck comes to mind) and hard to swallow in some regards, but overall it was fun.

I wouldn't have minded a re-boot that brought us back to the early days of the apocalypse rather than another desert wasteland, crazy car movie.

I realize that there is no "in film" evidence either way, but I tend to feel as if the nukes had already happened by the first mad max film. But he lived in a coastal area where there is still some version of civilization.

And by the end of that film, he drives into the abyss of the apocalypse. So in each film he's travelling further into the madness. This helps me justify how he could have been a cop when he was younger, but both Joe and imperiosa were born into the madness of the desert

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

Yea, I agree with this. Just watched it yesterday myself.
The film is great fun.Visuals and colors are well done. Over the top sets, vehicles etc. Non stop action and a ton of violence.

I finally saw this for the first time last night and have to say it was probably one of the coolest movies I've seen. It was a very simplistic storyline with a lot of stuff happening during it that looked like took a long time to shoot.

Visually the colors chosen and the vehicles/characters were just awesome. For sheer entertainment value it was a total blast and didn't feel slow in spots. I really liked the tone and was actually surprised given the rating that you would expect more language, and the way the ladies were dressed that they'd show some typical frontal nudity, but everything on that end was sparing and tastefully executed without showing much at all, proving it's not a necessity to have in a film (though I'm not offended either way).

I loved that Miller showed that you can empower women without being stupid about it and just letting the women be strong. The whole structure for how some of these new films needing to be more PC in empowering women are being done in such a ridiculous fashion role reversing the typical old male/female portrayals and making the men seem like damsels in distress or painfully weak. I like that the women just exist as equally strong personalities and skill. That's the way to do it.

The sound and music was beautifully done. This would sound great cranked up in a home theater.

I thought it was awesome. Hardy wasn't exactly a major stand-out character as Max, but the film as a whole was great.

finally saw it last week. I know there was lot of over the top action scenes but they were done so well and were very amazing.
Overall movie rocked to death and I hope the sequel can top Fury Road.

I want the book the art book, and one of the listings on Amazon doesn't delivery the book in 1-2months and the ones in stock and also on Ebay are like $300++++ WTF!.
Whats with the the high prices?!?

finally saw it last week. I know there was lot of over the top action scenes but they were done so well and were very amazing.
Overall movie rocked to death and I hope the sequel can top Fury Road.

I want the book the art book, and one of the listings on Amazon doesn't delivery the book in 1-2months and the ones in stock and also on Ebay are like $300++++ WTF!.

They bought the things when it first came out when the book was dirt cheap and marked it up sky high to corner the market. You see it in a lot of hobbies: there's folks who raid walmart nightly for the rarest of action figures before they even hit the pegs and sell them for literally 4 times what walmart charged.

Odd, I ordered the book on Amazon for $32 weeks ago. It hasn't shipped yet, but my account history says it will be delivered by July 4. We'll see. Unless there was some problem with the publisher, making the book scarce, I don't see what the issue could be??

They bought the things when it first came out when the book was dirt cheap and marked it up sky high to corner the market. You see it in a lot of hobbies: there's folks who raid walmart nightly for the rarest of action figures before they even hit the pegs and sell them for literally 4 times what walmart charged.

I understand, I been collecting action figures since the 90s and also collect certain Jordan and other limited shoes, so, I get buying rare items to resell for more.

But I actually thought Fury road art book was very limited reason for the high prices on Ebay. But after researching the book on Google I saw the book was sold at retail for about $30.00 at most online book stores, and on Ebay . So, I was really surprised by the high scalper prices, maybe $50, or even $100, but $300 plus and selling, WTF!
And it seems Amazon is waiting for a restock with the 2 month wait list and I'm expecting other sites for the same.
so, waitring is the best bet for retail price or keep checking Ebay, book sites or book stores

Odd, I ordered the book on Amazon for $32 weeks ago. It hasn't shipped yet, but my account history says it will be delivered by July 4. We'll see. Unless there was some problem with the publisher, making the book scarce, I don't see what the issue could be??

keep us posted if it ships. Would love to order the book.

In March I ordered sideshow r2d2 from Disney store on sale. But over looked the fine print delivery time was 6 weeks but in about 4 days I was surprised when UPS dropped off R2, with no shipping notifications from Disney.com.

So, maybe the 2 months is speculation for Fury Road restock.

Last edited:
Just a heads up regarding the previous couple of posts; UK retailer Forbidden Planet carry the book at sane prices/RRP, it was actually reduced when I picked it up just the other day.

Unsure about their shipping, but may be worth a look if you're still struggling with scalpers and such.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back