Sherlock Coat opinions/info?

Hi,

Sorry for responding so late, but I was sick.
Finally my wife finished the big project.

Thanks to all your input and dimensions of the original coat. This helped us a lot.
We decided to go for real leather buttons as this seemed to be right for a coat made of Harris Tweed. Also the coat is very warm and has a very good climate at low and medium temperatures.

Here are some pictures of the project:

View attachment 746055View attachment 746054View attachment 746056View attachment 746057View attachment 746053

Guess, which one was finished first ;-)

Invalid Attachment

Hi,

Sorry for responding so late, but I was sick.
Finally my wife finished the big project.

Thanks to all your input and dimensions of the original coat. This helped us a lot.
We decided to go for real leather buttons as this seemed to be right for a coat made of Harris Tweed. Also the coat is very warm and has a very good climate at low and medium temperatures.

Here are some pictures of the project:

View attachment 746055View attachment 746054View attachment 746056View attachment 746057View attachment 746053

Guess, which one was finished first ;-)

2nd try:

2016-09-04 151216 dsc_6701_.jpg2015-11-05 151552 dsc_7082_.jpg2017-03-25 095104 dsc_9734_.jpg2017-03-25 095242 dsc_9741_.jpg2017-03-25 095446 dsc_9751_.jpg

Hello everybody! I've recently started my journey of making the coat since I a) live in America and b) I'm too broke to buy one (even if I could find one). Anyway, I live in the middle of nowhere, so it is not exactly easy to go find a ton of different wools and wool tweeds. So, I ordered swatches from a company in NYC. Which of these look most like the fabric the coat is made out of? They're all wool and about the same weight. Each "square" on the mat behind them are an inch. http://www.photobox.co.uk/album/5183269179

Last edited:
Hello everybody! I've recently started my journey of making the coat since I a) live in America and b) I'm too broke to buy one (even if I could find one). Anyway, I live in the middle of nowhere, so it is not exactly easy to go find a ton of different wools and wool tweeds. So, I ordered swatches from a company in NYC. Which of these look most like the fabric the coat is made out of? They're all wool and about the same weight. Each "square" on the mat behind them are an inch. http://www.photobox.co.uk/album/5183269179

Where did you order from? (also looking for somewhere to order good wool coat fabric)

The first one in the first photo looks more accurate than the others. The second also looks good but the squares are too white.

Since we had a few requests for these gloves in this thread... here they are!

The two-tone effect is quite subtle, using a dark charcoal grey for the back and black for the palms.

Kind regards,
Magnoli

Those look great! I might just have to order a pair when I finally come back around to this costume.

Since this thread is bumped anyway, I finally got around to making a bulk order of the coat buttons.

41339017915_8eb70ffce2_b.jpg

I've found this coat in a chinese website, to be honest it looks incredibly accurate excepting the lapels.
I'm not sure about buying it or keep saving to buy Magnoli's, the thing is that the accurate fabric and the buttons really catches my attention.
Any thoughts?

TB2eBQFbKnAQeBjSZFGXXazoFXa_!!2587372521.jpg

TB2p2DGkL6H8KJjSspmXXb2WXXa_!!0-rate.jpg

That looks pretty good for a Chinese cosplay maker! By the way, we'll be offering Risu's custom buttons on our coats as well... so that's one more box ticked. ;)

Oh, and here's another shot of our gloves:

32964899_1009726129203015_1779167606545055744_n.jpg

For these coats we source in groups of orders, so we're at the mercy of what's available at any given time, but each time we find a good candidate, we buy it up. ;)

Since the thread has been bumped here is a closeup of the first season pure cashmere scarf that I've found.
Hope it's useful for someone.

53df66cajw1eakw3inn49j20lp0f9tbc.jpg53df66cajw1eakw33ntexj20l00g30uq.jpg

Last edited:
I've found this coat in a chinese website, to be honest it looks incredibly accurate excepting the lapels.
I'm not sure about buying it or keep saving to buy Magnoli's, the thing is that the accurate fabric and the buttons really catches my attention.
Any thoughts?

https://img.alicdn.com/imgextra/i1/2587372521/TB2eBQFbKnAQeBjSZFGXXazoFXa_!!2587372521.jpg
https://img.alicdn.com/imgextra/i4/0/TB2p2DGkL6H8KJjSspmXXb2WXXa_!!0-rate.jpg

Do you have the web???

Thanks

Hello everyone! It's a shame that I bumped into this thread years after it was made. Fortunately, now we have tons of reference pictures of the coat.
I'm gonna get it done by a tailor. I'm currently looking for the wool fabric but I have spotted a few good options here in my city.
I was lucky enough to get my hands on some really nice buttons:

20180914_215731.jpg
20180914_215847.jpg
IMG-20180822-WA0016.jpg
The details were originally white but I used a Sharpie to paint it gold. The whole buttons are black and I didn't know that the original buttons were dark brown, but I found out that the guy who sold me these ones also had very dark brown with yellow details, so I may get them as well. They are 25mm or 2,5 cm, which is I believe the same size as the Belstaff ones.
I have a question about the fabric. How many meters of fabric would I need?
I'm 175 cm tall and I weigh 74 k. The tailor said 2 meters would be enough. Is it true?
Thank you!!

Hello everyone! It's a shame that I bumped into this thread years after it was made. Fortunately, now we have tons of reference pictures of the coat.
I'm gonna get it done by a tailor. I'm currently looking for the wool fabric but I have spotted a few good options here in my city.
I was lucky enough to get my hands on some really nice buttons:

View attachment 843503
View attachment 843504
View attachment 843505
The details were originally white but I used a Sharpie to paint it gold. The whole buttons are black and I didn't know that the original buttons were dark brown, but I found out that the guy who sold me these ones also had very dark brown with yellow details, so I may get them as well. They are 25mm or 2,5 cm, which is I believe the same size as the Belstaff ones.
I have a question about the fabric. How many meters of fabric would I need?
I'm 175 cm tall and I weigh 74 k. The tailor said 2 meters would be enough. Is it true?
Thank you!!

2m is just about enough to make a suit jacket providing it’s not an overly large size and the fabric doesn’t have a large pattern repeat. For an overcoat like this one I’d imagine something in the region of 4m would be required.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back