Sherlock Coat opinions/info?

That coat looks pretty great, aside from the extra 6 inches of length or so. You might want to have a tailor chop it off, undo the red button holes, and maybe interface the collar a bit more heavily, then it'll be spot on.

Also, Photobucket is a great photo hosting site, Imageshack has always given me trouble.

He mentioned that the extra length was by request so that's not really an issue. The red button holes i'm torn on, on one side I wouldn't generally go for them on the other side they are kinda unique and accurate to the show. Looking at the original coat or coat it was based off of linked above it looks like it had a standard black stitching.

Only one button hole was red, the lapel one. And that was a mod, the original coat had all black.

Though I haven't seen a good pic showing the red on the outside you can see that the other buttons do actually have red stitching, at least visible on the inside.

550w_tv_sherlock_2.jpg

That coat looks superb Joker1! May I ask how tall you are?
I'm about 174cm and it makes me worry that a long coat would look odd on me.

glad everyone likes the pictures! plus, thanks for the kind comments :)

@ Venjix, I'm 180cm, and i took that measurement with my everyday shoes on (they have a regular, formal shoe heel of about 3/4 inch) the coat looks great on, and i think it makes me look taler because it has a generally slim line to it. if you're worried about length, just drop them an email with questions. i would suggest doing that to anyone considering buying this coat to contact cosplaysky with any questions before hand. sketches will help too :) from my experience, they have superb customer service, and gave me quick, concise replies :)

hope this helps

here we go!

Facebook

hope it works here... it was far easier to upload them to facebook than to upload them all to imageshack*

hope this helps!

*if anyone knows a quicker way to post photos here from imageshack, i'd love to know :) thanks!
The pics are a bit dark, but it does look good on you. Thanks for sharing. I'm holding out for the Magnoli. Meanwhile...I want that CLOCK!

BTW Image Shack has a direct link yo can copy/paste that will post the image directly. If you are not sure which one to use, try one than use Preview Post here until you find it.

hello all! sorry i took so long in replying - i havent been able to access the internet in a while :p

i'm gonna try linking the imageshack album on here...hope this works :p

ImageShack Album - 15 images

to RayR...thanks! i love my clock very much! :p

and if anyone is interested...that is Sherlock's pocket magnifier i'm holding :D it's about £18 from amazon, but my-oh-my does it magnify! it's excellent, and just helps fuel my slight obsession for the series :)

hello all! sorry i took so long in replying - i havent been able to access the internet in a while :p

i'm gonna try linking the imageshack album on here...hope this works :p

ImageShack Album - 15 images

to RayR...thanks! i love my clock very much! :p

and if anyone is interested...that is Sherlock's pocket magnifier i'm holding :D it's about £18 from amazon, but my-oh-my does it magnify! it's excellent, and just helps fuel my slight obsession for the series :)

You know, you're doing a very good job selling that version of the coat to me. I was thinking about looking into it, although the problem is I'm short (5'4'' :( ) but if they're really good with working out alterations, it sounds very tempting. The detail picture on the sleeve gave what I thought was a good shot of the texture. You said asked for them to change things like the paneling to make it flow more. Did they need it exact or you just asked and they worked from there?

thanks, CamilleV!

i simply love the coat :) when you order it, they need your height & weight as minimum. i gave full measurements for chest, waist, hips, arms, wrists, shoulders, height and weight. i'd also do the measurements whilst wearing the clothes you're most likely to wear with it, as it'll be alot more comfortable that way :)

and they were very good with my requests; i sent a simple black and white line drawing of what i wanted along with a description to back up my sketches, just to be sure.

Joker1,

That really looks great on you. If you wanted to be 100% SA, then you might want to bring up the length just a notch, but it looks good as is. I am thinking about possibly purchasing this style, but want to see what Magnoli puts out.

Is yours 100% wool, or a wool blend? The website simply says "Fabric: wool".

Lobo, as i mentioned in an earlier post, i asked for the longer length. cosplaysky.com were excellent with all my requests, so i imageing they'll take anything you ask into account if anyone considers buying the version i own :) also, it's a wool blend, so not 100% wool...however, it's an incredibly soft cloth that flows and sits beautifully.

another point:

to anyone looking for a 100% SA coat, you'll need to make sure it has the "stretch seam" in the back (not sure what the technical term is, but it's the part above the belt in the picture here)

http://sc.aithine.org/sherlock/203/25/sherlock-203-24351.jpg

hope this helps :)

Joker1,

I'm sorry I overlooked the info about the length. And thanks for sharing the info about the stretch seam; I had no clue about that. Honestly, I think your coat fits you better than Cumberbatch's. I loved the coat when I first saw it on tv, but thought it hanged on him just a little too much. Yours looks like it was cut for you. Enjoy!

Honestly? It looks like some pretty shoddy tailoring. I don't know for sure, but I don't think the Sherlock coat has a waist seam, I'm pretty sure the back panel is a long piece and the darts open up into pleats under the belt. Also, the fit and structuring of that coat is costume quality.

Also, most of the details are off to varying degrees including the collar and cuff shapes, button hole stitching, pocket size, placement, and angle, and the belt.

I've found a website based in Denver that custom makes the Sherlock coat from the BBC series. The website lists starting prices at the bottom of the page - $525. Any opinions guys? I think it looks pretty good
sherlock coat » Denver Bespoke: Custom Tailored Suits

I almost bought a Torchwood style Greatcoat from this company. After a week after I paid for it I found a real 1 on ebay And canceled the order. It cost me 125 dollars because they said they started on the pattern. Be absolutely sure before you place your order. Now I'm having a sherlock coat made and spend a little extra money to have it done by Magnoli. Their work on everything else speaks for itself

Last edited:
This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back