Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567
Subscribe
    Jan 12, 2016, 1:40 PM - Re: City-by-City -- Hobby Shops #151

Montreal, Qc, Canada - UDISCO .. largest canadian's hobby wholesaler! Huge selection, 2 floors!
    From
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Mar 27, 2016, 2:21 PM - Re: City-by-City -- Hobby Shops #152

Quick update on greater Pittsburgh. I haven't been to AB Charles in a couple of years, but they were a great place for scale models and related supplies. Toby Tyler's is also on my list of places to visit, I think all of the better stores are out the suburbs (where I rarely venture). I mostly do furniture and human-scale stuff, so what I need for work/art comes from raw materials shops like Curbel Plastics, Allegheny Plywood, and Noftz for sheet metal. They're very business oriented places so the prices are low but delivery is expensive, don't visit without a truck or trailer. Artist & Craftsman in Squirrel Hill usually has the paint or oddball glue I want and they have good hours and much better prices than the CMU art store in the UC. I also rely upon McMaster Carr for a lot of stuff because ground UPS shipping often arrives in 1-2 days. I suggested it to a friend who was looking for odd-sized screws, he placed an order around 3pm and it showed up the next day.
    From
    West Oz.
    May 27, 2016, 12:59 AM - Re: City-by-City -- Hobby Shops #153

Just wondering is there anything (apart from the obvious Hobbylobby, etc) in and around Las Vegas?
  4. Member Since
    May 2013
    Sep 21, 2016, 2:57 PM - Re: City-by-City -- Hobby Shops #154

Hobby Hangar in Chantilly, VA website is incorrect - new website is http://hhangar.com/
  5. Member Since
    Jun 2012
    Sep 30, 2016, 2:12 PM - Re: City-by-City -- Hobby Shops #155

Just an update, Ralph sold the shop. It's now known as Model Citizen Hobbies, same address. The new owner has expanded the product line & now carries a lot of import stuff, such as Gundam & Votoms kits.

dinomike said: View Post
    In St. Petersburg, Florida: Ralph's Hobbies, 5208 66th St N Ste D

Ralph is an old-school hobby guy. He sells mostly injection-molded styrene kits & supplies for building same. He tries to keep a wide variety of kits available, and buys collections of old kits when he can. (A while back, he had not only a set of the old MPC R2-D2 and C-3PO kits for sale, but a Six Million Dollar Man kit from the 70s.) Whether you're looking for a newly released kit or an older kit that's out of production, pay Ralph a visit if you're in the area.
    From
    Cherry Hill, NJ
    Oct 2, 2016, 3:03 PM - Re: City-by-City -- Hobby Shops #156

AAA Hobbies in Magnolia, NJ.
    706 White Horse Pike
    Magnolia, NJ 08049
  7. Member Since
    Oct 2011
    Jan 2, 2017, 10:06 PM - Re: City-by-City -- Hobby Shops #157

-Colonia, Avenel Hobbies (per Go Flight,#73)
    Unfortunately, Avenel hobbies has closed as of last spring.
    From
    Wichita Falls, TX
    Jan 10, 2017, 3:37 AM - Re: City-by-City -- Hobby Shops #158

I'm in Northern Italy, near Pordenone. Anyone know of any good model shops in the region?
    Jan 30, 2017, 11:01 AM - Re: City-by-City -- Hobby Shops #159

gobler said: View Post
    I'm shocked this one has not been mentioned.

http://pegasushobbies.net/catalog/

It's perhaps the largest hobby shop in the US. If you live in SoCal, take a day trip to see this amazing store... They have way more then their website shows.

Jeff
    It is mentioned in post #2 of this thread.

I use to live 20 miles from it, it was a beautiful place to behold. I would drive out almost every weekend to it, best selection of any type of models I have seen anywhere in my life. Plus some of the staff were incredibly knowledgeable and always helpful. It is the only thing I miss about living in California.

- - - Updated - - -

Another great store in California is Monsters In Motion.

Store hours suck but you can order online as well, still it is a very fun and unique store to visit in person.

187 West Orangethorpe Avenue. Unit-K
    Placentia, California, 92870
    U.S.A.
    Store Hours:
    WED - SAT: 10:00am - 4:00pm
    Mar 6, 2017, 3:37 PM - Re: City-by-City -- Hobby Shops #160

qcfoundry said: View Post
    I'm lucky enough to have friends in different cities and to get to occasionally travel for work, which allows me to hunt for more model kits in different towns at new (to me at least) hobby shops. I'm always eager to hit a new town in hopes that it may have a great shop to find some vintage kits that i've been looking for.

I thought perhaps we could make a sticky thread to aid other travelers in search of kits?

I realize that some people may not want to "give-up" their hunting spot in fear that their local kits being picked off. This may be true, but try to realize, there may be kits in your local haunt that you no longer want/need, but may "feed a weary traveler", lol. In the spirit of being a good neighbor, share what you know.

I will collect each person's contributions, copy/paste it to the first post to aid in an easy to read/access page of these hunting spots. Just provide the State, City, Hobby Shop, and possibly a short note about what to expect? You can also provide a hot link to the store and that will be included (provide a FUNCTIONING link to the store, not to a google search of possible hits). I will also post the contributor's post number in this thread beside their name to read the full review of the store.

Please do not post a Hobby Lobby or a Hobbytown USA (or any other national chain) -- anybody can do a two second search on google to find those and they are usually the same thing from town to town. In addition, note the the forum you are in. We're not interested posting hobby stores that focus on RC or trains or whatever -- this is about getting the resources for model scale kits and resources to construct and finish them.

If you are lucky enough to get to try out one of the following spots in your travels, try to thank the poster for their info.

ILLINOIS:
    -Chicago, Al's Hobby Shop (per Less than Super Ostrich, #108)
    Als has been closed for years.

Please update your info.
    Mar 6, 2017, 3:44 PM - Re: City-by-City -- Hobby Shops #161

qcfoundry said: View Post
    CrystlNinaStar,
    I appreciate all the info you provided, but you may have done it in error. The opening post states the specific purpose of this thread: to find locations where one can find quality/possible-rare hard-to-find kits that donate towards studio scale models. Your listing is more aimed at the cosplay community. Why don't you open a similar thread in the cosplay forum , but aimed at finding good locations for cosplay supplies and start it with your wealth of knowledge you spilled in your post.
    Great post, now update your vary out dated info before you berate another well intentioned member.

Thanks
  12. Member Since
    May 2013
    May 4, 2017, 8:59 PM - Re: City-by-City -- Hobby Shops #162

Piper Hobby in Chantilly, VA is out of business. The owner passed away and his friends managed to keep it going for awhile, but I guess they just couldn't make it work. Sad to see it go.
  13. Member Since
    May 2013
    Jul 19, 2017, 9:14 PM - Re: City-by-City -- Hobby Shops #163

Please add Bobe's Hobby House in Pensacola, FL to the list. I went there yesterday and was blow away, they had a huge selection of kits, paints, and everything else. I could have stayed for hours and not seen everything.