Found! Obi-Wan Kenobi ANH Lightsaber Emitter

HereÂ’s a close up of one of the pics with gears in. Seems to be roughly the same shape and number of teeth, just not sure of the overall diameter and length. But maybe there are more, longer gears in other pars.
a54-oil-pump.jpg

Here’s another picture in the manuals. Interesting point to me is the bit about the “mounting for the burner flange, which is secured to the facing by set-screws. The burner is described fully in Chapter 2 of this Section.” I haven’t got to / found Chapter 2 yet, but I was wondering if the ring of holes might in fact be for a ring of set screws to hold this to the casing, instead of being to admit jets of air or fuel. This might explain why someone was able to see daylight through them in one of the posts I read recently?

a22-point18.jpg

Just speculating here. What do you think? Phil

OK guys,
I have a thought here. After looking at hundreds of diagrams, cutaways and what not, I think that while the diagram shows a promising part, we're looking for the wrong thing. An igniter torch is nothing more than a british spark plug, which would have an electrical connection (like the assembly at the top of the diagram in the first post).

I'm thinking what we may be looking for is the coupler joint that connects the combustion assemblies to each other. The part we're looking for appears to be between chambers, not visible from the outside like the igniter ports would be. They'd have to be accessible for service reasons. Our part may never need service and can be buried between chambers.

Here is the piece we're looking for (unexploded view). Only problem is, I don't know what it's called:

derwent1A.jpg

If someone can find a derwent expert and ask them what it is, I think we'll have found our part.

I hope this helps and leads somewhere.

Thanks to WC for hosting

-Fred

Maybe this pic will be of some value, it was posted in another thread trying to identify the emitter as an escutcheon. The topmost part of the object seems to be the emitter, if this is the case it is unlikely that the part you are looking at on the derwent is the correct emitter.
owksaberparts0kv.jpg

Bwing that part is not the emitter, it's a red herring IMO, my reasons already given in detail in prior threads.

Remember that the 'gear' is not 'gear like' it's all rounded grooves and rounded edges, not sharp like the gears in the above pics.

I was saving this for when it came up again...
Searching this item/s will produce many many different types...and uses...

Main Entry: es·cutch·eon
Pronunciation: is-'k&-ch&n
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English escochon, from Middle French escuchon, from (assumed) Vulgar Latin scution-, scutio, from Latin scutum shield .

1 : a defined area on which armorial bearings are displayed and which usually consists of a shield

2 : a protective or ornamental plate or flange (as around a keyhole)

3 : the part of a ship's stern on which the name is displayed

Originally posted by Prop Runner@Sep 26 2005, 11:55 PM
Do my eyes deceive me?

- Gabe
[snapback]1084711[/snapback]​

I would say no. I think this is looking very promising. Now let's find one of these engines to tear apart... We might be able to check another part off on this lightsaber.

Keep it up.

MJC.

Here's what I'm seeing:
Do my eyes deceive me?

- Gabe

Look's like we're looking for an inter-connector. Your overlay seems to be spot on. Also looks curiously close to the mystery spindle-thin in post 23. Maybe that was a similar item? Brilliant pics.

Originally posted by Durasteel Corporation@Sep 27 2005, 07:26 AM
whats up with this line though...Ive seen many prints but this line appears to separate something....
[snapback]1084726[/snapback]​
Drew, because it appears to compress between the parts, I'm thinking it's either a gasket or some kind of lubricant or sealant. It could also be a press-fit item that deliberately deformed the disc when inserted using a hydraulic press (I'm in 100% brainstorm mode here - stretching the limits of my speculation, to be sure...)

For those having trouble connecting my dots... here's where they connect:

emittercompare.JPG

- Gabe

Youve got me 75% sold on the general shape but the placement in the print as compared to the photo has be scratching my head.

For example, it looks like two identical Escutheuon (oh dear SP, sorry) are butted up next to each other....but the other eskoochon and the rest of this length of this piece (in the photo) does not appear to have the same valleys and risen bands....make sense? And clearly the end flange has slits in it.

Some pieces in industry are used in more than one arrangement of parts...so this might be on of those freak luck out deals

Edit, even though the print is not representative of the entire B/W photo, I see the specific section youre referring to Gabe.........but, the other end is still odd.

Originally posted by Durasteel Corporation@Sep 27 2005, 07:51 AM
Youve got me 75% sold on the general shape but the placement in the print as compared to the photo has be scratching my head.
[snapback]1084736[/snapback]​
In the top B&W photo, there seem to be two emitters (I'm now inclined to call them interface connectors) facing in the same direction - one on the right end and one second from the left end. That could imply that there may be more than just these two connectors throughout the jet engine and that there are more than one assembled configuration of this part. Since a jet engine has pumps, valves, actuators, mixing chambers, solenoids, heat elements, wiring, tubing, etc. scattered all around it, there may be other documented views containing this particular connector.

In the comparisons below, I've indicated the identical features (as I see them) of the interface connectors facing each other in the same manner as they do in the B&W photo on the right end:

diagram_compare_1.JPG

Unfortunately, short of a full mechanic's manual, assembly blueprint, or physical jet engine at our disposal, we may never be able to get past that 75% certainty. :(

- Gabe

In the top B&W photo, there seem to be two emitters (I'm now inclined to call them interface connectors) facing in the same direction - one on the right end and one second from the left end.  That could imply that there may be more than just these two connectors throughout the jet engine and that there are more than one assembled configuration of this part.  Since a jet engine has pumps, valves, actuators, mixing chambers, solenoids, heat elements, wiring, tubing, etc. scattered all around it, there may be other documented views containing this particular connector.

In the comparisons below, I've indicated the identical features (as I see them) of the interface connectors facing each other in the same manner as they do in the B&W photo on the right end:

Unfortunately, short of a full mechanic's manual, assembly blueprint, or physical jet engine at our disposal, we may never be able to get past that 75% certainty.  :(

- Gabe

It might also be that the item pictured beside the grenade is something that was assembled out of several interface connectors and other bits and pieces, sort of a trial run, rather than being an assembly removed in one piece from an engine.

I've worked on some larger scale GE turbines and this piece is normally called the "cross fire tube". It's there so there doesn't have to be an ignitor in every chamber (can). You light one and the others on each side also ignite. I'm just not sure about the overall size of the engine as compared to the cross tube. Obi emitter could be the right size in fulfilling the function.

We've got flash experts, grenade experts, military weapons experts, and now working on derwent engine experts. :lol Good luck.

-Propcicle

Originally posted by Gigatron@Sep 26 2005, 09:29 PM
OK guys,
I have a thought here.  After looking at hundreds of diagrams, cutaways and what not, I think that while the diagram shows a promising part, we're looking for the wrong thing.  An igniter torch is nothing more than a british spark plug, which would have an  electrical connection (like the assembly at the top of the diagram in the first post).

I'm thinking what we may be looking for is the coupler joint that connects the combustion assemblies to each other.  The part we're looking for appears to be between chambers, not visible from the outside like the igniter ports would be.  They'd have to be accessible for service reasons.  Our part may never need service and can be buried between chambers.

Here is the piece we're looking for (unexploded view).  Only problem is, I don't know what it's called:

derwent1A.jpg

If someone can find a derwent expert and ask them what it is, I think we'll have found our part. I hope this helps and leads somewhere.

-Fred
[snapback]1084579[/snapback]​

Using the sketch as a guide i put together this quick 3d model trying to keep the proportions right & heres what you get. :)

1_6.jpg

2_6.jpg

3_6.jpg

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back