2001: Memory Deactivation Key (HAL 9000 / Space Odyssey)

AP 333

2001: Memory Deactivation Key

The Story behind my finding isn’t THAT spectacular~.
Actually I was searching for a new prop project, so I took a closer look at the memory deactivation key from the scene where Bowman shuts HAL down bit by bit.

2001-memory-deactivation-key-hal-9000-space-odyssey-2001_ref.jpg-85744d1330554143

One day I showed some reference screenshots to the owner of the second HAL panel I’ve made and to my surprise he recognized the particular shape of the key and he told me that he actually owns a pair of these, but never noticed it in the movie before. -> pure luck :D

Here is my spare key:
2001-memory-deactivation-key-hal-9000-space-odyssey-2001_key.jpg-85743d1330554143

The Key belongs to a lock, which was produced by a company, which is an expert on lock systems since the 18th century and still is today.

Lock comparison

2001-memory-deactivation-key-hal-9000-space-odyssey-2001.-key_proof_by_ap.jpg-85003d1329934896

The characteristic triangular keyholes in the movie are pretty similar to the one I’ve got.
So I would say, regarding the shape of the key itself and the shape and function of the lock, I’m pretty sure that this type of key from the late 60s is the basis for the memory deactivation key used in 2001.

The original key handle has probably been tailored and the knurled area has been stuck into the custom aluminum key handle. The length from the knurled area to the key tip is equal to the dimensions of the screen used key shaft.
That could also be a hint that this key is the right one.

2001-memory-deactivation-key-hal-9000-space-odyssey-2001_key_cut.jpg-85745d1330554143

With the key dimension as a reference, I could easily determinate the key handles dimensions from screenshots that show the key from different sides.
What followed were some hours on a milling machine and a lot of polishing work^^

Here’s the result:

2001-memory-deactivation-key-hal-9000-space-odyssey-2001_key_by_ap_1.jpg-85746d1330554143

2001-memory-deactivation-key-hal-9000-space-odyssey-2001_key_by_ap_2.jpg-85747d1330554143

2001-memory-deactivation-key-hal-9000-space-odyssey-2001_key_by_ap_3.jpg-85748d1330554143

2001-memory-deactivation-key-hal-9000-space-odyssey-2001_key_by_ap_333.jpg-85749d1330554143

AP-333~

Memory Deactivation Key from 2001: A Space Odyssey.
I already own the original key as used in the movie...
(found it by accident :))
- Aluminum key handle to be done~

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: 2001: Memory Deactivation Key (HAL 9000 / Space Odyssey) - Coming Soon~

found * it * by * accident ?

There's gotta be a good story behind that!

(Oh, and if you're going to be offering replicas for sale - Yes, right here please!)

Go man go! :thumbsup

What other 2001 gems do have in the pipeline?

Doug

Will you also be doing a key for HAL's Outside door key?

Sneak preview traditionally in my first post :D

Going to post pictures of my finished key by the end of next week.

AP~

Very interested. Can't wait to see the final product.

I'm finally done with actually three deactivation keys with milled,
100% aluminum key handles and original vintage key shafts -> see first post
One key will appear in the Junkyard soon~

Hope you like it :)

2001-memory-deactivation-key-hal-9000-space-odyssey-2001_ref_2.jpg-85750d1330556537

2001: Memory Deactivation Key

Memory Deactivation Key from 2001: A Space Odyssey.
I already own the original key as used in the movie...
(found it by accident :))
- Aluminum key handle to be done~

That looks excellent! I'm going to need one of those to go with SD's HAL panel :)

I think when you said you have the "original key as used in the film" we kind of thought you meant that you owned the actual screen-used piece handled by Keir Dullea (at least that's how I interpreted it) rather than having discovered the same type of found object they sourced to make the original prop.

Nevertheless, it's an excellent find and I'm certainly grateful that you're sharing what you found with us :)

Cheers,

Dave

Last edited by a moderator:
I wish I had found it... :eek

Sorry for the misunderstanding! :facepalm

I think when you said you have the "original key as used in the film" we kind of thought you meant that you owned the actual screen-used piece handled by Keir Dullea (at least that's how I interpreted it) rather than having discovered the same type of found object they sourced to make the original prop...

Dave

Last edited:
They are beauties, How many are you thinking of making and about how long before your ready to go to the junkyard.. I really would like to know more, so I don't miss out, if they are in the budget :)

So fantastic. I always wondered about this particular item. Your replica unbelievably awesome. Any chance you might make another run of these? I didn’t see any post on the Junkyard.

Regardless, just wanted to say how impressed i was with this prop. It looks incredible.

Yeah, i realize this was a long time ago now. Not to worry though, just super impressed with such a cool item.

Hello.
For anyone else wanting to make one of these themselves - a quick look on Ebay Germany reveals these keys are still readily available. The German for key is Schlüssel; look in the Heimwerker section (there are other places but this is the easiest) and the maker's name is Burg Wächter. There are a number of variations with different knurling (some of which have longer shafts than the example AP333 has found). Here's what I just got:
key1.JPG
Note this set includes the distinctively-shaped lock part. Price was Euro16 plus postage. I just went straight to Germany because I saw AP333 was German so assumed that would be the best place to look - thinking the keys might be old and rare. This particular key is a type E7/3, so perhaps if you try your local locksmith first you might save on postage from Germany.
And remember, if you don't have access to a mill, there are some very good buffable metallic paints these days, so you don't have to use aluminium for the handle.

The screen cap looks like the key was a molded opaque red plastic. If you do a 3D model, do it for the whole key and print it in red. I bet others would buy it off Shapeways.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back