Netflix Recommendations Thread

Once again, I know I am way behind here, but I just started up on Breaking Bad--never watched it before. I am only about 6 episodes in. I like all the stuff dealing with the drugs, but the lung cancer stuff is kind of hard to watch, for me. After having watched someone close to me go through this and die from it, those scenes just do nothing but depress me. I just don't know if I want to watch 5 seasons of a guy going through chemo and coughing up blood, etc every episode. I really just want to fast forward through all that and just get to the stuff with him and Jessie.

I know the cancer is one of the two main points of the show, but I am going to ask this stupid question anyway--does every episode have these types of painful scenes? I just don't know if I can deal with it without becoming too depressed.

Once again, I know I am way behind here, but I just started up on Breaking Bad--never watched it before. I am only about 6 episodes in. I like all the stuff dealing with the drugs, but the lung cancer stuff is kind of hard to watch, for me. After having watched someone close to me go through this and die from it, those scenes just do nothing but depress me. I just don't know if I want to watch 5 seasons of a guy going through chemo and coughing up blood, etc every episode. I really just want to fast forward through all that and just get to the stuff with him and Jessie.

I know the cancer is one of the two main points of the show, but I am going to ask this stupid question anyway--does every episode have these types of painful scenes? I just don't know if I can deal with it without becoming too depressed.
I'm glad you brought that up. I wanted to watch it, but not if it means remembering my mom with lung cancer and COPD.

Sent from my Motorola StarTAC

I'm glad you brought that up. I wanted to watch it, but not if it means remembering my mom with lung cancer and COPD.

Sent from my Motorola StarTAC

Spoilers

The lung cancer is a small part of the overall story. If it was a major player, he would have died in the first season. But part of the charm of WW is he keeps fight back and getting lucky.

That's fine. I really want to keep watching and as I said, I'm only on S1 Ep6. But S1 Ep4,5,6 were just brutal on the cancer part. I just found myself wanting to turn the show off if every episode was going to be like that. Just too depressing.

What I'm asking is, does every episode contain as much of that as those episodes? If not, I'm definitely hooked on the show. If they do, then I may have to bow out. I just can't take it.

The problem is not with the show, the problem is with me.

The cancer is heavy in the first season, but as the show goes on it doesn't feature as much. Hang in there. Such a good show.

I've never watched Breaking Bad because my brain can't comprehend rooting for a 'hero' who cooks meth.
Meth cookers are scumbags. I've watched friends ruin their lives because of that awful drug.
Making a 'hero' out of a meth cooker is just the stupidest thing I've ever heard of.
Why in the world is this show so popular?

It's a fantastic look at what one would be willing to do for their family and the consequences of trying to hold on to that idea.

Yeah, but I still don't get why he didn't just take the money from his old ex-partner who offered to pay for everything. From the looks of it, Walter must have had an affair with the dude's wife or something, but it's a secret so nobody knows. Why not take it? Even if found out, explaining an affair would be easier than explaining cooking meth, not to mention murder.

I've never understood men with this attitude of "I'll take no charity from anyone." That is such a load of bull$%^#. I don't care who you are, you want to give me money, I'll take it.

Regardless, thanks for the advice, I will try to stick it out at least through the first season before deciding.

Just caught "Whiplash". Outstanding character drama!!! Electrifying!!!!And I saw the "Green Room" yesterday. I will never be able to watch Patrick Stewart again without thinking about his character here,this movie reminded me so much of "Southern Comfort". And I really liked "Middle Men". Netflix is certainly entertainingly varied at the moment with some excellent movies !!!!
PS

Yeah, I hear what you are saying about "Breaking Bad". Whilst many of the lead characters were flawed and did terrible things, the sheer quality of the writing, the direction, the performances and the unpredictability of the scripts was hugely addictive.
I had no love for Walter at all by the end of it, and what he eventually costs those who surrounded him was really hard to watch. BUT as television goes, it is one of those very rare things ,it simply got better and better as it went and the climax to it was so perfectly poetic , honest and most importantly did justice to all the main characters as well as the entire series that it will be difficult to ever top.

I've never watched Breaking Bad because my brain can't comprehend rooting for a 'hero' who cooks meth.
Meth cookers are scumbags. I've watched friends ruin their lives because of that awful drug.
Making a 'hero' out of a meth cooker is just the stupidest thing I've ever heard of.

I see where you're coming from but I think you'd be surprised by how well the show handles this.

Walter doesn't get into cooking meth because he wants to. He has to, and can.....he never likes it. He continues to cook because he has no choice... again out of his hands. Brilliant show and characters.

I know it's been recommended as a series, but for a SINGLE episode recommendation....

Black Mirror - White Christmas.

Holy crap did that bother me after viewing... in a good way!

But I will say, I had my eyes rolling as it started seeing "Seduction techniques" like in "The Game" being done... I get that it was the point, I just would hope in the future it would be more obvious to people when someone was using pickup techniques.

BUT what that leads too... and where the story continues to go... man what a great little story.

Netflix is really upping its game with some great stuff as of late. "Hunt for the Wilderpeople" is up in the UK , I am so glad this guy got "Thor:Ragnorak to direct. Sam Neil is just as brilliant as ever.
And anyone remember a film called "Gregorys Girl"? Well for those who want a nostalgia trip to the eighties try "Sing Street." Left me feeling Happy/Sad.
Both these films had budgets so low they could hop under a mouse but boy do they have big hearts!!!

Walter isn't the hero, he's not a guy you root for. Initially, you can feel somewhat sympathetic for his predicament, but that disappears pretty quickly. The show's main theme is a regular guy's corruption through ego and greed, which, ultimately, corrupts many of the people around him.

The show's biggest allure is the consistent quality of the writing and acting. Some episodes are better than others, but, overall, BB was one of the best dramas ever produced. Truly superb.

Captain America: Civil War went up in the last few days of December.

I was quite pleasantly surprised to see it in my recommendations and even though I own the Bluray I gave it another watch.. I'm sure everyon has already seen it, but despite flaws here and there it is a really enjoyable film!

In Breaking Bad I've gotten to the parts with Saul Goodman. Is Better Call Saul any good? I was thinking of going to it next.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back