Netflix Recommendations Thread

Please just watch "The Crown". If you want superb writing, direction, acting and a brilliant score (plus humanity) this is well worth the millions they spent on it. I never thought I would enjoy a series like this but I do. Quite a lot.

Please just watch "The Crown". If you want superb writing, direction, acting and a brilliant score (plus humanity) this is well worth the millions they spent on it. I never thought I would enjoy a series like this but I do. Quite a lot.

Yes.....quality......through to fourth episode.....viewing the first episode...it took me to 3/4 way through to realise it was Hans Zimmer doing the score

Watched Glitch also....6 episodes.....huh....too short

J

Yes.....quality......through to fourth episode.....viewing the first episode...it took me to 3/4 way through to realise it was Hans Zimmer doing the score

Watched Glitch also....6 episodes.....huh....too short

J

Did you spot the horrendous continuity error in four yet?? Superb episode otherwise. Agree about the Glitch too short. Have you watched "The Code"?

I had Hulu a couple of years ago. I was disappointed in it -the tv offerings tended to lag behind the original air date. More importantly, I HATED the commercials -they were repetitive, cannot be skipped and long. If I'm paying for a service (regardless of the price) then I'm not willing to also have commercials (your milage may vary).

Did you spot the horrendous continuity error in four yet?? Superb episode otherwise. Agree about the Glitch too short. Have you watched "The Code"?

No,...what was it?.......the smog,....I had no knowledge of that incident,....& so many died

I keep checking wiki,.....so many facts & real incidents,....loving this show

Gonna have to check out The Code

Thanks CT

J

No,...what was it?.......the smog,....I had no knowledge of that incident,....& so many died

I keep checking wiki,.....so many facts & real incidents,....loving this show

Gonna have to check out The Code

Thanks CT

J

No worries, I owe you for the "Siege of Jadotville" recommendation. I had no idea that happened either and that was a brilliant surprise.

Check the airplane sequences at the beginning and end of the episode and then the date of the smog. I know Matt Smith was a timelord and all but its pretty green and leafy for the time of the year.

Cool,...didn't notice that....

Did you enjoy the Siege of Jadotville?.......that was a surprisingly great film,....& again about a fact I knew nothing about

John

Cool,...didn't notice that....

Did you enjoy the Siege of Jadotville?.......that was a surprisingly great film,....& again about a fact I knew nothing about

John

The fact I just knew nothing about it going in made it impossible to predict the ending and given what happens that was bloody nail biting. And the improvisation under fire of various strategies by the soldiers against overwhelming odds was just riveting. A good many great actors in it, excellent effects, that mortar, jet and final attack had me on the edge of my seat. As a "hidden history" the fact it only came to light recently makes you despair of those higher echelons of military command. Those soldiers were heroes in every sense of the word.

For anybody who likes their anime ,a classic has just been listed on Netflix in the UK.
"Cowboy Bebop".And its the full series.
Beatten only by the older "Ghost in the Shell" episodes this is my next favorite. Unpredictable stories, ultimately with a very human heart in them and great mixture of space craft,bounty hunters, scum and villany .
Anyone looking for a taste of where SW Episode VIII might be going, Rhian Johnson loved this series. If you watch both "Brick" and "Looper" you can tell immediately who Rhian has based his main character on. I wonder if thats why we've heard so much about the gangster angle in VIII because thats pretty much in line with Bebop. You can also see the strong influence it had on "The Expanse".

PS Really ,really watch "The Crown".

The Crown I liked alright. Never would've considered Jon Lithgow to play Churchill in a hundred years but it worked, surprisingly!

I Am Your Father, a documentary about (or rather "starring") David Prowse. Like Elstree 1976, it's just okay. Doesn't go into too much of anything and it makes for "light" watching. A pity, too; it could've been better had it focused on his career overall and had more in-depth interviews and anecdotes ranging from his work with Hammer to Kubrick. As it is, the documentary is the visual form of the sentence, "David Prowse is the guy that played Darth Vader in the original films".

A friend got me watching Terrace House: Boys and Girls in the City. I'm not much for reality shows at all, and even though this is built like old-Real World episodes, there's something more collected and meaningful in the mundane of the daily lives of these people. This kind of environment tends to draw some of the worst out of people but rather than these people stay shallow and vapid, like how it usually turns out on US shows, these participants more or less confront these flaws and grow as people as a result from talking it through. I think it has to do with the cultural differences and it's a testament to how positive that can be in that many of these participants still remain friends after the show.

"Raiders! The Story of the Greatest Fanfilm Ever Made": the making-of documentary about Raiders: The Adaptation. Terrific doc.

im hearing Disney "might" want to buy Netflix and become the "streaming" king.. anyone else hear rumor of this??

I heard about this about a week ago and I'll say now what I said then. Unless Disney simply buys the service and doesn't muck with it, the purchase will never work. Disney has such a stranglehold on their franchises that if they were to buy Netflix, they'd probably start overcharging non Disney-owned shows/movies to show them and outright refuse to show others, including some of the Netflix Originals. If they did that, you'd see an exodus of programming to other streaming services and their viewers as well.

Couple of things well worth a watch:
"The Drop"- a great turn by Tom Hardy in this, a low key crime thriller that I really enjoyed for many,many reasons.
"Detectorists". Both seasons are up!!! Great antidote to the miserable winter, its a warm, gentle comedy about metal detectorists in the UK. Some of the jokes perhaps won't translate well across the pond but it really is one of the most charming British comedies I've seen in a while.

I've been waiting on Spectral to come out and now it's on Netflix! It's like a more gritty Ghostbusters!

IMG_9034.JPG

Good grief, Netflix is certainly delivering some great series as of late in the UK. "Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency" has been listed!!!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back