Netflix Recommendations Thread

all of your movie categories "new releases" "recommended" 'recently watched" had "john stamos" in there somewhere. im wondering if there hyping fuller house, and he will be back in the show or something. kinda like an easter egg?? I still don't know what is so damn special about him. except for chick's that think he was/is hot, the guy sell's yogurt for ****** sakes...

My only complaint ever since Netflix took over the trailer park boys ( season 8) they have not released any of the new seasons on DVD so non Netflix users can watch or (as I do) people who want to hold them in there grubby little hands can, and pet them and love them and name them George !

chuck Norris vs communism. almost all those movies they had to "bootleg" I watched in theatres!! it was so easy as a kid to ride your bike around town with a plastic bag, collect cans etc. and go to the theatre and for a 1.50 see those films... :darnkidsif your from the 70's 80's check it out. :thumbsup

Some really great stuff added to Netflix recently that I caught. Here are three quality things to check out:

1) Magical Girl - A small international release from Spain that made the film festival circuits and deserved all the praise it got. A modern film noir about a man trying to make his dying daughter happy; I leave it at that. An incredibly well made and expertly crafted film. Imagine had the Coen Bros. directed an entry in the Vengeance trilogy. That's what this kind of movie is.

2) Theeb - A semi-survival film set in the deserts of Arabia during WWI. A Bedouin boy joins his brother leading an English soldier his translator through the desert, but things go sour, and the boy has to find his way back. The kid carries the film extremely well and the cinematography is really quite gorgeous (it's actually shot on film); another small film made in a very competent manner which I just don't see anymore.

3) Hibana - Spark- : A 10 episode mini-series about the trials and tribulations of a young Japanese manzai (basically burlesque; imagine a Japanese Abbott and Costello routine) comedian, chronicling his life from when he first starts out in the business to where it ultimately ends. It's both a drama and comedy but it really blurs the line between the two a lot, and in an expertly manner, because the comedy in the show itself isn't the typical "set up/punchline" situational kind but very behavioral; based on awkward, embarrassing, and demoralizing moments in the lives of these people (and in general society, too). Don't expect this to be a knee-slapper but this is still something really good to catch.

Hush: A surprisingly good horror/physiological thriller film. The premise is simple: a deaf woman who lives alone is stalked by a killer. This movie does a lot with very little. There's only four actors in the entire thing, very little dialog, and only one location. These limitations help rather than hinder the film's stark atmosphere. Totally recommended.

It is a Mike Flanagan film. I didn't realize he had also directed Oculus until after I saw Hush. Oculus wasn't a bad movie, but I'd say Hush was the superior film.

Sorry, must be UK only for the moment, some of the recommendations from the US don't turn up here for a few months (if at all). Its a great dark comedy crime drama, I've seen the first three episodes and its really quite good and difficult to predict. But its definitely for grown ups only!!!!

PS
This is one of the darkest, most addictive crime dramas I have ever seen. Very believable and unpredictable, frighteningly brutal ,and very difficult to watch at times it makes the things that happen in "Game of Thrones" look occasionally light weight (even if the lead actor sounds like the faceless man, which is kind of appropriate). Very, very well scripted and acted, full credit to Netflix and the production team for this but how its got another season and just how this one will end up I have no idea, having just finished ep six out of ten !!!! It has some very unpleasant elements in it that make for uncomfortable viewing ,dealing with some very nasty characters (Brendan Coyle, is most definitely NOT Mr Bates from Downton Abbey in this ) and I'm wouldn't recommend it now for the weak hearted.

Last edited:
if anyone has watched the trilogy "the dissapearance of Eleanor rigby" please post and let me know. there seems to be "his" version, "her" version and "there" version. Im gonna give them a shot but im not sure which to watch first?? is it gonna matter?? will watching in a certain order give it more impact?? any help appreciated!!

yeah it was weird, they sent me a message "we added a movie you might like" and under it showed the b.t.t.f. poster. I searched for it and nothing. it took a couple weeks for it to show up. but there all bookmarked now. to bad its not the "director's cut" of the lethal weapons, my jaw dropped at the school shooting on the first movie... :eek

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back