Hellraiser Puzzle Box

DP,
i am simply throwing my hat into the ring with my own version that contains the most accurate filigree artwork amalgamation possible and whose panel geometry is geometrically correct.

Hyde, let's just clarify this again...
You are "simply throwing my hat into the ring with MY OWN VERSION"

and YOUR version will "contain the most accurate filigree artwork amalgamation possible and whose panel geometry is geometrically correct"
for YOUR OWN DESIGN, NOT the most accurate of the boxes or from the movie.

as you stated we all have our own versions, which is true, and so shall YOU. Yours will be no different than ours as yours will be symmetrical and all that other stuff you mention, but it will me Yours, not the most accurate of the movie versions....

probably going to get all PO'ed at me again for stating this, but let's just be real here ok? It will be YOUR take on it, not the most accurate of the movie versions...

:)

DP,

the most accurate filigree artwork amalgamation possible

If you really wanted to be accurtate your puzzleboxes would look like crap like the real movie ones....THAT would be accurate... :)

BTW Hyde, the Toymaker is back, I tracked him down and he's made a couple posts on the HBW, go talk to him about "Accurate"...

Mmm, clash of the puzzle box makers ;-).

I now own the Coromandel Puzzle Cube from Norfok (hellraiserbox.net). This was a unique piece and looks unbelievable great! Only thing is that the wood is rather dark. I know on beforehand that this box was not completely screen accurate, but it was so beautiful that I couldn't resist buying it.

I definitely keep that box, but I'm looking also for a screen accurate box (with two black sides and a ligher wood color on the other sides) with the panel orientation of the first movie. I had one from thepuzzlecube.co.uk before, but that one was no match for the quality of the Norfok version. I just sold it.

So now I'm in doubt of who to contact for a screen accurate box: Norfok, www.thepuzzleboxmaker.com or www.hellraiserpuzzlebox.com...

Mmm, clash of the puzzle box makers ;-).

no not really, it's just the way he comes off. His idea that he is going to be most accurate, is somewhat erroneous, as if he wants to be accurate his boxes would look like crap, because if you see close up shots from the movies they look like crap.

It can just make the unknowing person think his is most accurate, but his is most accurate for HIS design. Make sense?

But he is also right, we've all got our own versions. Mine were worked on by my friend who knows autocad and I had him clean then up and make them nice and clean for the etchers I use. So mine will be slightly different than the next guy and so one. We'll all be similar in the way they look but slight differences.

I understand where he is coming from when and why he wants the most accurate, he obsessive about perfection which is ok, but I've gotten ok with how my boxes look because to me they are a good representation of them.

was wondering if you could post some hi rez shots of your box from Norfok? I hear he's got good finish on his boxes. and his boxes are nice pieces of work.

Thanks
Darkman

Still have some pics of it in my imageshack account:

This was the cube I sold. Not good enough in my opinion. Borders around the panels also are way too wide, compared with the cube in the movie.

hahaha yeah those are crazy wide. the box should be 3" square and the plates should be 2.90" just barely a border around.
thanks for the pictures, the one box looks great, but it looks all black. You said it's too dark right? Maybe he stained it with a stain.

I did that with a box recently, it is dark and looks cool, but too dark for my liking as well.

Puzzleboxmaker, what do you think of the borders of the one I posted above. Mine as a 3 inch block of Walnut. I know the wood is not right but it was a nice hard wood that had nice sharp corners. I'm sticking with walnut for my next box. I'm using refinished NECA panels. Not sure how wide they are, do you? I may have to adjust the size of the cube to minimize the border. What do you think?

Holy cow! Have y'all seen the animatronic version on Hellraiserbox.net?

Animatronic Lament

Can you imagine having this under a glass dome with a floor sensor, or better yet, motion detector, so that when some poor sod reaches for the dome, the puzzle box does its thing?

Oh man, I'm creaming my jeans just thinking about it...

- JD

Puzzleboxmaker, what do you think of the borders of the one I posted above. Mine as a 3 inch block of Walnut. I know the wood is not right but it was a nice hard wood that had nice sharp corners. I'm sticking with walnut for my next box. I'm using refinished NECA panels. Not sure how wide they are, do you? I may have to adjust the size of the cube to minimize the border. What do you think?

The borders on that block, from what I can see look good. do you have a pair of calipers? If not it should be a small border, the plates are 2.9" square, whatever that works out to be, like around a little bigger than 1/16" but smaller than 1/8".

I've never seen a neca box, I've seen pictures of them falling apart. Sorta remind me of the box I got from Xane many years ago. which is why I started making boxes. Because no one should own a piece of crap like his.

I eventually want to move up to a nice box made out of real wood and brass, but for right now I just have the plastic one that Screamin produced in the 90's. I'm sure it's probably the least accurate one you can possibly get, but it still gets quite a reaction when people come by and see it on my coffee table. :D

Hellraiser1.jpg

ScreaminHellraiser003.jpg

ScreaminHellraiser001.jpg

ScreaminHellraiser002.jpg

thanks for the pictures, the one box looks great, but it looks all black. You said it's too dark right? Maybe he stained it with a stain.
Yep, I knew that the box would be very dark, but I kinda like it. It's not really stained, it's just a very, very dark kind of wood (the photograph shows it rather black, but if you see it in real life it's dark, dark brown). It's one of the hardest kinds of wood that exist. Many problems with boxes is that the panels come off because the wooden block shrinks / expands with temperature changes, and the panels don't. You eliminate this risk with hard kinds of wood.

Anyway, besides this beauty, I'd also like a screen accurate box one day...

Yep, I knew that the box would be very dark, but I kinda like it. It's not really stained, it's just a very, very dark kind of wood (the photograph shows it rather black, but if you see it in real life it's dark, dark brown). It's one of the hardest kinds of wood that exist. Many problems with boxes is that the panels come off because the wooden block shrinks / expands with temperature changes, and the panels don't. You eliminate this risk with hard kinds of wood.

Anyway, besides this beauty, I'd also like a screen accurate box one day...

Did you get this box from Norfok?

So it's made of Ebony? Ebony keeps shrinking from what I hear, so a box from that may not last super long. Damn...
looks nice.
Ebony is a dense hardwood. So normally, once dry, it should not shring or expand (or at least not as much as other sorts of wood) when temprature changes. Softer woods will. I have the box for multiple years now, and it's still in perfect shape...

interesting, I don't know if you know who the Toymaker is, he's my box mentor, who helped me years ago get started. We just talked for the first time in 10 years and he was telling me about a box made of ebony he made. and that it had the shrinking problem.

BTW there's something in the mix for the 25th anniversary of Hellraiser and Night Breed. Can't really say much but it's from someone who worked on the films. Keep your eyes open.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back